The Student Room Group

Could do with some help with studying at home

I'm looking into studying my A Levels in one year at home and I think I'm misunderstanding the exams I have to take. Could someone explain the Linear/Modular exam thing and how it would relate to me starting and finishing the following subjects in 2016-2017:

Maths

Further Maths

Physics

Economics.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

@The Learn Ranger could you help out here?
Original post by Crazyoc
I'm looking into studying my A Levels in one year at home and I think I'm misunderstanding the exams I have to take. Could someone explain the Linear/Modular exam thing and how it would relate to me starting and finishing the following subjects in 2016-2017:

Maths

Further Maths

Physics

Economics.

No problem. Right now, the A-level system is in the middle of some reforms.

Old system: A-levels were made up of AS and A2. Typically students followed AS-levels in their first sixth form year. These were worth 50% of the final A-level. The second year was made up of the A2 part of the course - worth the remaining 50%. Often there would be three units at AS and another 3 at A2.

New system: A-levels are linear - all the course is examined at the end. AS-levels still exist but are a separate qualification.

What makes things a bit more complex is that the new system is being introduced gradually - with different subjects changing at different times. For your subjects, Maths and Further Maths will be examined under the old system, Physics and Economics under the new system.

As you are doing your courses in one year, the change won't make that much difference as you will be sitting all the exams in all your subjects in May/June 2017.

Good luck with your courses.

What books and resources do you plan to use?
What about biology and chem? Is the new system introduced for these subjects? I'm glad that the new system is introduced for physics i will not resit for physics then..ill work hard in A2
Original post by Sidra Manzur
What about biology and chem? Is the new system introduced for these subjects? I'm glad that the new system is introduced for physics i will not resit for physics then..ill work hard in A2

Biology and Chemistry are both in the first group of reformed subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest