The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aph
That's awful!!! Obviously you know they shouldn't but I guess it can't hurt to ask. TBH I'm supprised they can't do a thing because I'd have thought it would be as simple as rejecting you instead of accepting you on track when they update it.

i want to go to york now instead of my insurance but looks like i could be heading for a gap year now cause I'm pretty certain i have met my insurance grades yet they won't even release me till the 18th and even then i will have to ring up and ask them to do it whilst the clearing places are going :frown: so stressed about this but i guess it is my fault for not asking earlier
Original post by cogito.
Mostly people who want to study medicine/in oxbridge/courses requiring AAA and above with D or C in most subjects.
Somehow I cannot understand people with logic fallacy and the deduction of "Because I work hard, So I deserve to study in XXX"

Working hard is neither sufficient nor necessary for archiving good grades, however I think the following is true

Spoiler

Sorry I don't agree with the first part working hard can get you good grades however I do agree there needs to be at least some form of intelligence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DesignPredator
The clearing ads strike fear!

Everytime I go onto Whatuni, it asks me if I'm looking for clearing courses. You're a year too early my friend.... :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by target21859
My friend has an offer for natural sciences at Cambridge but his offer is AAAA. No A*s lol

Is he at Robinson College?
Original post by DesignPredator
Is he at Robinson College?

Yeah how did you know? He was pooled there.
Reply 4785
Original post by fefssdf
well I asked them and they just said to ring back on thursday when i have my results and i was like ' so you can't do anything before ' and they just said no and that was that... unfortunately it isn't just as simple as them ticking reject or accept -__- I'm really quite fuming about all of this !!

Ahhh okay, I wonder what else they have to do :s-smilie:
Original post by fefssdf
i want to go to york now instead of my insurance but looks like i could be heading for a gap year now cause I'm pretty certain i have met my insurance grades yet they won't even release me till the 18th and even then i will have to ring up and ask them to do it whilst the clearing places are going :frown: so stressed about this but i guess it is my fault for not asking earlier

I'm sure if you met your insurance grades Nottingham will accept you because it's only a one grade miss :smile:
Getting scared
Just called SOAS and they said they are only considering AAB,,,
However they have been in clearing for the last 4 years.
Original post by QueenBee98
It does indeed! :smile: I did AQA English Literature and English Language :biggrin: Oh that's really good! Well done! :smile: Good luck - I hope that you get what you need! :biggrin:
I need around 280 points for my course - I'm hopefully going to be studying Primary Education at Bishop Grosseteste! :smile:

Aha thank you and best of luck to you as well :smile: I'm sure you'll meet those entry requirements! I've never heard of that uni :P
Original post by naz.97
Aha thank you and best of luck to you as well :smile: I'm sure you'll meet those entry requirements! I've never heard of that uni :P

Thank you! :smile: I hope so too! :biggrin: Ah it's the smaller one in Lincoln, you have the big one towards the centre and then Bishops is at the top of the hill... it's small and cosy and it has more of a homely feel to it!
Original post by target21859
Yeah how did you know? He was pooled there.

It's the only college where they give AAAA offers which are pretty much unconditional for a Cambridge applicant :wink: due to their AS UMS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
can anyone here offer me some advice ?

I've just rang up my insurance uni asking them to release me so that i can use clearing if my firm rejects me, and they said they can't do anything and to ring up again on thursday.

I've been told however it can takes unis days to release you into clearing and i know clearing places for the good unis go lightening fast so I'm just thinking should i ring up the unis and tell them that I'm waiting for my insurance to release me and if so would they ' hold ' my place ??

thanks so much in advance

That's really unfair of them!! You should still phone the unis that you're interested in. There's no harm in trying at least :smile: what course do you want to study?
Thank you! :smile: I hope so too! :biggrin: Ah it's the smaller one in Lincoln, you have the big one towards the centre and then Bishops is at the top of the hill... it's small and cosy and it has more of a homely feel to it!

Ohh that's nice :smile: are you going to be studying from home or moving out?
Original post by naz.97
Ohh that's nice :smile: are you going to be studying from home or moving out?

It is! :smile: I'm going to be going for accomodation... I've applied for it, but they aren't going to let us know if we have got a place until after results day
Ok I think I might know a way to find out if you got into your firm.

Because I got my accomodation sorted within the past few days, I just rang up my uni and pretended I didn't get an accomodation confirmation and asked whether they could confirm it for me. They checked my status and were able to tell me that I had confirmed accomodation. I know it's not definite, but if my accomodation is confirmed and they've got our resukts, they would have, by now, taken accomodation off those who didn't meet the requirement and they weren't accepting, right?
Original post by xxvine
Getting scared
Just called SOAS and they said they are only considering AAB,,,
However they have been in clearing for the last 4 years.

I was looking into SOAS for clearing. For what course are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chemstudent314
I can't deal with the wait:frown: Did anyone else here do WJEC?

Yea for biology wbu

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fefssdf
can anyone here offer me some advice ?

I've just rang up my insurance uni asking them to release me so that i can use clearing if my firm rejects me, and they said they can't do anything and to ring up again on thursday.

I've been told however it can takes unis days to release you into clearing and i know clearing places for the good unis go lightening fast so I'm just thinking should i ring up the unis and tell them that I'm waiting for my insurance to release me and if so would they ' hold ' my place ??

thanks so much in advance

Original post by Aph
That's awful!!! Obviously you know they shouldn't but I guess it can't hurt to ask. TBH I'm supprised they can't do a thing because I'd have thought it would be as simple as rejecting you instead of accepting you on track when they update it.

UCAS are clear that a university must not reject an applicant who has met their conditions.

That means that an Insurance can only let someone who has met their offer go into clearing AFTER their firm choice rejects them (a release into clearing can only happen if an applicant is UF with a university).

It *can* take days - in your case where you previously applied to York as one of your choices you're in a better position than otherwise.

IF you miss your firm grades
and
IF your firm reject you
and
IF your insurance either haven't decided or have you as UF on results day

(ie IF you end up committed to Manchester on results day) then once you have your results ring York and explain that you're waiting to be placed into Clearing - because you applied previously they'll be able to see your application and grades and might be able to offer some reassurance that they can hold a place.

In the mean time email Manchester's admissions department and reiterate to them ("following my phone call on Monday 15 August...") that you no longer wish to take up a place with them and ask that IF you are rejected by notts then you would like Manchester to place you into Clearing ASAP (and preferably by 8am on Thursday 18th). That way even if it hasn't happened first thing on the 18th then you've sent written instructions explaining your decision.

The big problem is that one of UCAS key "Principles of admissions" is
"10. A provider must not approach an applicant who is holding a firm or an insurance place at a provider (other than their own)."

At the moment you're asking Manchester (at the busiest time of year) to go out of their way to help you out - when as far as their concerned they might be able to see that you've met your firm offer or been accepted with dropped grades. A LOT of universities don't look at insurance applicants until Tuesday/Wednesday - because otherwise they're doing far more work than needed confirming places for students who are accepted at their firm choice.

If anyone taking AS is reading this PLEASE don't wait this late to change your mind. Swapping/changing firm and insurance choices is EASY in July and a pain in August.
Original post by fefssdf
well I asked them and they just said to ring back on thursday when i have my results and i was like ' so you can't do anything before ' and they just said no and that was that... unfortunately it isn't just as simple as them ticking reject or accept -__- I'm really quite fuming about all of this !!

They CANNOT talk to you about your application in any way that indicates how you've done. That's why they're being cagey and unhelpful.

It's always going to be difficult speaking to universities while they hold your results but you don't have them yet. There's very little they can say to you without risking a breach (and trust me every year some applicants think it's worth a go to phone up to ask about their application to try to get a hint about how they've done...quite commonly pestering their insurance choices because they think that's an easier trick to pull).
It is! :smile: I'm going to be going for accomodation... I've applied for it, but they aren't going to let us know if we have got a place until after results day

Oh okay. Hope you get your place for accommodation as well then! :smile:
Original post by Lainathiel
Eep, I was wondering if you were going to say that! Mine is medicine at Oxford - I think the med offer for Cambridge is two A*s too. I thought the exams went well but I've stressed so much over the holidays I've convinced myself I could get anything between 4A* and 4Bs, haha. :/ It's so much easier to tell somebody else than yourself, but I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm just trying not to overthink it at the moment; it's probably for the best that I never remember the exam questions so looking at the grade boundaries would be pointless for me! Let me know how you get on Thursday! ^_^

I almost regret not applying to Oxford because they have a lower offer for Biochem - the course I've applied to elsewhere!

Good luck to you too, it's very hectic with all these official and unofficial mark scheme and speculation over grade boundaries

Make sure you let me know how it goes too!
Original post by Workangel_24
Hi :smile:

Do you mind me asking a few questions

Do you know which college you're going to?
Did you have an interview for Natural Sciences, if so how was it like and what type of questions did they ask you e.g. questions on PS or any mathematical questions.

Thanks!

Hey, you can read about my interview experience here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Cambridge_Natural_Sciences_(Biological)_Interviews_-_Serine_Soul

Quick Reply

Latest