The Student Room Group

Just Moved Into Our Student House - Neighbours Will Hate Us

So basically we moved into a really nice student house this week ready for 2nd year at uni, there are 5 of us all together.

However we want to enjoy uni life, we loved partying till late and getting drunk (as most students do). There is one major problem, all our neighbours have children and our next door neighbour has a baby!I really like to think I am not a selfish person, as soon as we moved there I knocked on all the houses to introduce myself and let them know if we are too noisy to come and tell us. They are nice people, told us as long as we party out the back and keep it down it should be fine. But I know we are going to want to have a big party at some point and I am very concerned that we will upset the neighbours, I also know that at some point one of us will be drunk and shout something in the late hours without thinking of the neighbours.

Here are my questions:
1) Have you been in this situation?
2) What is the best way to deal with it, not to have parties or is there a good way around it?
3) Is it possible to move student house midway through a contract?
4) If you were our neighbour, how would you deal with us as neighbours?
Tell you neighbours when you're going to have a big party.

Try not to be dicks screaming in the early hours. Tbh, if you don't do it often they probably won't hate you. They know you'll be gone by the summer anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Tell you neighbours when you're going to have a big party.

Try not to be dicks screaming in the early hours. Tbh, if you don't do it often they probably won't hate you. They know you'll be gone by the summer anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This

As long as you don't take the piss and have parties till the small hours every night of the week disrupting their lives they're likely to be cool about you having the occasional loud party.
Original post by ScruffyQuaver
So basically we moved into a really nice student house this week ready for 2nd year at uni, there are 5 of us all together.

However we want to enjoy uni life, we loved partying till late and getting drunk (as most students do). There is one major problem, all our neighbours have children and our next door neighbour has a baby!I really like to think I am not a selfish person, as soon as we moved there I knocked on all the houses to introduce myself and let them know if we are too noisy to come and tell us. They are nice people, told us as long as we party out the back and keep it down it should be fine. But I know we are going to want to have a big party at some point and I am very concerned that we will upset the neighbours, I also know that at some point one of us will be drunk and shout something in the late hours without thinking of the neighbours.

Here are my questions:
1) Have you been in this situation?
2) What is the best way to deal with it, not to have parties or is there a good way around it?
3) Is it possible to move student house midway through a contract?
4) If you were our neighbour, how would you deal with us as neighbours?

My girlfriend lives next to a young family and when I stay round the kids is always having tantrums :redface: But we gave them the courtesy of letting them know we were going to have a party that night once and they just got a blunt reply and a cold look in return... so we thought oh well!

As long as it isn't too regularly then you should be fine. The legal time for 'loud music' is 11pm I believe? They have probably had to put up with the situation for quite a while so they knew what they were getting into. Just be as respectful as you can IMO, but don't let it hamper your experience.
Original post by moonkatt
This

As long as you don't take the piss and have parties till the small hours every night of the week disrupting their lives they're likely to be cool about you having the occasional loud party.

Yeah okay, you make a good point we will try and be as quiet as possible but im sure a one off they will forgive us :')
Original post by PugDevil
My girlfriend lives next to a young family and when I stay round the kids is always having tantrums :redface: But we gave them the courtesy of letting them know we were going to have a party that night once and they just got a blunt reply and a cold look in return... so we thought oh well!

As long as it isn't too regularly then you should be fine. The legal time for 'loud music' is 11pm I believe? They have probably had to put up with the situation for quite a while so they knew what they were getting into. Just be as respectful as you can IMO, but don't let it hamper your experience.

Okay :biggrin: Thank you, I think I'll try not to think about it too much and just enjoy myself. Keep it down as much as possible!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending