The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
Thank you so much for the really long and detailed response. I will email the department asking them to release me into clearing if my firm rejects me so I can hopefully use clearing, and if not I guess a gap year could be on the cards
I might ring up and ask how long it takes them to release me as well .

Thanks so much and yes I should've sorted this earlier but I didn't anticipate changing my mind this late in the game :/

You're still ahead of the dozens/hundreds who will decide on results day :wink:

Unfortunately that makes it a bit more complex because there's a huge amount of uncertainty about whether you'll even end up committed to your insurance or not (and that uncertainty will make universities very wary of speaking to you about your application and risking accidentally saying something they shouldn't).
hi everyone, waiting for AS results, nervous :frown: Seeing this thread, so many of you are A2 students, can anyone give me some advice? How would you recommend me to work for A2? Is it significantly harder than AS? As this year I was very lazy as I felt the work was quite manageable (did no work at all apart from homework until the start of march then just did revision cards and past papers). Assuming you cannot get away with this at A2, what did you all do? Any tips about next year and maybe uni applications and anything in general? Thanks!
Original post by Sugar_1998
my heart sinks to my stomach whenever I remember my c4 paper

I was on MEI and I agree - I was hoping for an A* originally, no hope of that now, I'm praying for an A...
Original post by kingofthejungle2
A-Levels is a lot harder than GCSE keep that in mind before aiming for A's, you need to be prepared to do a lot more hard work.

Yeah I've just finished my AS's and I'm hoping for all A's on results day
Original post by kingofacademics
Ok I think I might know a way to find out if you got into your firm.

Because I got my accomodation sorted within the past few days, I just rang up my uni and pretended I didn't get an accomodation confirmation and asked whether they could confirm it for me. They checked my status and were able to tell me that I had confirmed accomodation. I know it's not definite, but if my accomodation is confirmed and they've got our resukts, they would have, by now, taken accomodation off those who didn't meet the requirement and they weren't accepting, right?

You're overestimating university's efficiency in making decisions.

Most don't pass on decisions to accommodation until results day (partly to avoid breaching the embargo and partly because they simply don't have the decisions made and data input until then).
Original post by similenacy
Hey guys, I was wondering about one thing, if my offer is AAB and for example I get A*BB do you think I would still be accepted if the A* is in a subject that is totally irrelevant to the course(A* will be in Spanish definitely and the course I applied to is computer science)?

PS. Would the university also consider the fact that I did 4 A2 levels rather than 3?

They'll take everything into account but if they asked for an A in maths and you get a B then that's more likely to be a deal breaker than missing a grade in another subject. If they've got evidence that people with a B in maths tend to fail or drop out then no amount of success in other subjects will make up for that - they wont accept you onto a course with the expectation that you'd fail. That would be hugely unethical and cruel.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Did you find Wjec Biology really hard this year?

Yeah it was pretty hard, I was less certain of what they'd give marks for as there were more applied biology type questions. How did you find it? What grade are you hoping for?
for student room.png

That abrupt change is no coincidence guys
Original post by PQ
They'll take everything into account but if they asked for an A in maths and you get a B then that's more likely to be a deal breaker than missing a grade in another subject. If they've got evidence that people with a B in maths tend to fail or drop out then no amount of success in other subjects will make up for that - they wont accept you onto a course with the expectation that you'd fail. That would be hugely unethical and cruel.

Thanks for the reply, in maths I'm not sure whether I'll get an A or B, have a B in business, C in computer science and will most likely get A* in Spanish minimum an A as I speak Spanish fluently. Unfortunately my IT teacher had no idea about the computer science course and actually learnt it with us in lessons rather than teaching it which explains the low grade, not sure how the university will feel about a C in the course I chose.

Also the requirements for the offer did not specify any subject it just said it had to be AAB
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kingofacademics
Ok I think I might know a way to find out if you got into your firm.

Because I got my accomodation sorted within the past few days, I just rang up my uni and pretended I didn't get an accomodation confirmation and asked whether they could confirm it for me. They checked my status and were able to tell me that I had confirmed accomodation. I know it's not definite, but if my accomodation is confirmed and they've got our resukts, they would have, by now, taken accomodation off those who didn't meet the requirement and they weren't accepting, right?

dude i just did the same thing. they confirmed that I had applied for accommodation and asked me if i was waiting for my a-level results and i said yes, and they said they'd send me my accommodation details 10 days or so after results. i don't know whether or not to take that as confirmation... not getting my hopes up... my last paper was horrendous.
Original post by isabella1999
hi everyone, waiting for AS results, nervous :frown: Seeing this thread, so many of you are A2 students, can anyone give me some advice? How would you recommend me to work for A2? Is it significantly harder than AS? As this year I was very lazy as I felt the work was quite manageable (did no work at all apart from homework until the start of march then just did revision cards and past papers). Assuming you cannot get away with this at A2, what did you all do? Any tips about next year and maybe uni applications and anything in general? Thanks!

A2 is definitely harder than AS in most subjects, though I actually found A2 Lit easier, so it might depend on how you work etc. You'll probably be fine if you don't leave stuff till the last minute - for example, in A2 History, we had to do coursework, which was entirely independent research and therefore completely daunting. I did procrastinate a bit, but I left enough time, so the daunting task became significantly less daunting and everything turned out ok. Meanwhile, a lot of other people left it till literally the last day, making the task impossible, and came out with bad grades. So there is a jump to A2, but as long as you're aware of it, and plan appropriately, you'll be fine, and the same applies to exams - they may seem daunting, with more to learn and a more difficult technique, but plan to go over topics and revise early and you'll be ok.

As for university, think carefully about your choices. I messed up in that regard - I only visited top unis last summer as I wrongly presumed I'd get 4 As. I instead got AAABB, which led to last minute application changes. Ultimately I'm happy with my firm, but I really don't like my insurance (too late to change as I only visited after applying!), and I regret not applying to my dream uni - I'd presumed I wouldn't get in, when I would've actually had a decent chance. Visit everywhere, have a backup you like, and have an optimistic choice! Also, start on your personal statement early, and get advice from as many people as you can... but don't be afraid to ignore what you think is bad advice!

And a final couple of tips - don't panic, no matter how daunting/scary year 13 can be, make good use of your frees (the year will fly by - take advantage of the time), and don't don't work too many hours if you have a job.
Original post by naz.97
Oh okay. Hope you get your place for accommodation as well then! :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 4832
Original post by NazanAyseOsman
for student room.png

That abrupt change is no coincidence guys

It always rains on results day. It was gloomy as f*** last year :frown: - both literally and metaphorically
Original post by Divine Turnip
Yea for biology wbu

Posted from TSR Mobile

same! and chem and maths :frown: how did you find BY4/5?
Original post by similenacy
Thanks for the reply, in maths I'm not sure whether I'll get an A or B, have a B in business, C in computer science and will most likely get A* in Spanish minimum an A as I speak Spanish fluently. Unfortunately my IT teacher had no idea about the computer science course and actually learnt it with us in lessons rather than teaching it which explains the low grade, not sure how the university will feel about a C in the course I chose.

Also the requirements for the offer did not specify any subject it just said it had to be AAB

If they didn't specify any subjects then A*BB is going to be top of the pile of people who missed their offers. :yes:

Did your school/college notify your universities about the problems with your CS teaching?
Original post by isabella1999

Start revising right now

Spoiler

Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Yeah it was pretty hard, I was less certain of what they'd give marks for as there were more applied biology type questions. How did you find it? What grade are you hoping for?

Hopefully a B, but I'm feeling like I may have got a C after the exams.
Original post by PQ
If they didn't specify any subjects then A*BB is going to be top of the pile of people who missed their offers. :yes:

Did your school/college notify your universities about the problems with your CS teaching?

Thanks once again for the fast response.
I don't believe they did as the school is pretty amateurish even though it costs almost a fortune :mad:
Original post by PQ
You're still ahead of the dozens/hundreds who will decide on results day :wink:

Unfortunately that makes it a bit more complex because there's a huge amount of uncertainty about whether you'll even end up committed to your insurance or not (and that uncertainty will make universities very wary of speaking to you about your application and risking accidentally saying something they shouldn't).

Yh I guess so I mean I know what my plan is but yeh hopefully my insurance will actually reject me cause the offer is A*AB with the A* in maths yet I'm expecting either AAB or A*AB but the A* in the wrong subject but then again they seem to be pretty lenient and it doesn't help my school meant my application was flagged up for contextual factors :/ stupid how it's come to the point I hope I get rejected . This is why the UCAS system is bit flawed cause in situations like this you could end up taking an unplanned gap year -_-
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Yep for chemistry, biology and maths. What subjects did you do?

same subjects! how did you find CH5 , C4, S2( if you did stats) and BY4? I hated the BY4 exam :'(

Quick Reply

Latest