The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You should really find a new instructor. If possible talk to her about this. If she refuses to understand, talk to your family and change your instructor.
Get a new one! You shouldn't have to deal with that since you're paying. If you're in the Manchester area I can recommend an instructor :wink: if not good luck on finding a good instructor + good luck for your test!
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah that's what I was thinking :smile: she said at the end of the lesson though to limit how much I practiced with parents because they're not always aware of every technical thing that needs to be done on the road and that examiners are aware of :frown: but surely it's better than practicing with her
Shall I leave a scathing review on her page on yell.com and on her website?

The thing about parents not being aware of everything needed for the test is often true, however it wouldn't be for long and it may help your confidence better than potentially having another bad driving instructor experience.

Whether you leave a review or not is up to you. I probably would, but I wouldn't make it a 'scathing' one, just one to warn other prospective learners about her style of teaching, and that it may not suit everyone :smile:
Original post by SayoniRoy
You should really find a new instructor. If possible talk to her about this. If she refuses to understand, talk to your family and change your instructor.

I just feel so silly when I started crying in her lesson, even when she tried to make me feel better and became a bit nicer it didn't help cos the damage had been done. I think it was because I kept comparing her to my old instructor who was an absolute gem, which made it even worse :frown:
I wish I didn't cry so easily :frown:
Original post by longsightdon
Get a new one! You shouldn't have to deal with that since you're paying. If you're in the Manchester area I can recommend an instructor :wink: if not good luck on finding a good instructor + good luck for your test!

Ah I wish I lived there, defo do need food recommendations, I only have 2 weeks left till my test and doing this lesson with her made me feel like I was back in my 2nd lesson again because she made me feel so bad about my driving that I was second guessing everything I did :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I just feel so silly when I started crying in her lesson, even when she tried to make me feel better and became a bit nicer it didn't help cos the damage had been done. I think it was because I kept comparing her to my old instructor who was an absolute gem, which made it even worse :frown:
I wish I didn't cry so easily :frown:

Please be strong. Things get better.
Oh my goodness she sounds EXACTLY like my old driving instructor. I know this may come across as a huge generalisation but I've always found women driving instructors tend to be a lot more nit picky than men. All the male instructors I've had were nothing but lovely and patient.*

Definitely change, you'll have no confidence in your abilities if you carry on with her. I stupidly kept mine as I was too ashamed to cancel and scared of offending her (wtf) and failed my first 4 tests - it took me several years and a lot more lessons to ever get my confidence back after that. I remember on my first lesson with the man I had after her I spent ages warning him how terrible I was (as she used to openly tell me) and after I drove he was just like "there's nothing wrong with your driving you did really well" and I think I probably cried because it was so nice to hear!*
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Oh my goodness she sounds EXACTLY like my old driving instructor. I know this may come across as a huge generalisation but I've always found women driving instructors tend to be a lot more nit picky than men. All the male instructors I've had were nothing but lovely and patient.*

Definitely change, you'll have no confidence in your abilities if you carry on with her. I stupidly kept mine as I was too ashamed to cancel and scared of offending her (wtf) and failed my first 4 tests - it took me several years and a lot more lessons to ever get my confidence back after that. I remember on my first lesson with the man I had after her I spent ages warning him how terrible I was (as she used to openly tell me) and after I drove he was just like "there's nothing wrong with your driving you did really well" and I think I probably cried because it was so nice to hear!*

Omg yes yes yes about the woman driving instructor thing. My old instructor was a guy and he'd just get on with things and make things simple so that everything made sense. Whereas she was just nitpicky, telling me what I was doing wrong in the maneuver a rather than constructively tel me how to improve. Will practice with my mum till I have my test in 2 weeks time as I really just need to practice my driving and use the tips I learnt from my old instructor in a calm and nice atmosphere. Then if I fail that I'll just book lessons with my old instructor when he has spaces available. Definitely not going back to her if she's the last instructor left on earth
Thats how l feel today.l feel dumb,stupid and traumatised.My old instructor got a new job in another town and l dont know if l should continue with this instructor from hell.Just had 2 lessons with him and l was yelled at almost cried.l dont feel like driving anymore
My independent driving instructor Patrick Culleton (Autodrive Automatic) at first seemed to be good in his teaching technique. However, i became bewildered by his behaviour. 20 min into the lesson he gets out and smokes. Then the other day I clipped the curb as I was going into the test centre as some driver was driving out and he screamed at me "I told you not to do that". He gave me silent treatment for about 5 min and he brought up the same issue up and said "you should have never done that before" with a look of contempt. Another time I accidentally made another mistake the lesson before and he said "that's a stupid thing you did" and "why did you do that?". Anyway every lesson he refuses to drop me of at my home instead drops me off in another road 5 mins away because he says it's too long for him and I haven't got a jacket on and I'm freezing cold, so I had to once walk in the pitch dark alone. He even mentioned on my test day that he wont be able to pick me up from my home as it's apparently too much bother for him. So my next lesson I have a jacket on because I have to do that walk back home (he won't drop me off home) he said you cant wear a jacket it will restrict your driving, meanwhile he's wearing a thick coat)🤔. I tried to book with him for Saturday and he said he cannot book me in unless I pay upfront block lessons and that they are for special paying customers who have paid upfront. Every lesson he names and shames a student he taught and rants what stupid mistakes they made. So that was my experience!
Original post by jools213
As a driving instructor I have to say I have come across several pupils who have got upset during lessons. It's mainly because you think you know more than you do because you've been badly advised and led to feel a false sense of knowledge and security. Some get upset because they don't listen, don't question if they don't understand or do as they please then wonder why there are consequences. Believe me we never knowingly do our job to cause anyone to feel bad or upset. We only want good reviews but seriously some people need to take some responsibility for their own actions. It's terrible you were left to feel so bad, but it is worryingly common and we don't know what may or may not come across wrong.

You must be VERY observant to post on a 4 year old thread :smile:

Latest