The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatcooldude2.0
CH5 went shite for me, I missed out so many questions and they were all 6 markers. Also completely forgot to revise pH graphs which we had 2 pages of questions for. Coursework is the only thing going to save my chemistry grade now :redface:
C4 wasn't too bad but I probably had a lot of errors, I can't remember it too well
I didn't do S2 this year :smile:
Hated the BY4 exam too! Had no clue for a lot of questions, the essay questions weren't too bad though.

same i found the CH5 6 markers particularly mean:frown: I learnt transition metals so well and it barely came up:colonhash: Yeah same, I feel like the paper for C4 was okay but I messed up and missed a few parts of some questions. BY4 felt like 99% application and 1% recall which was really frustating because I did all the past papers and it something different entirely. Yeah the essay question was okay i guess.. are you going to uni this september?
Original post by PQ
There was a whole movement to get results brought back to early June and uni courses starting in October to go to post results applications.

The exam boards and the scottish universities (and oxbridge and the medics) wouldn't play.

They put the fees up to £9k instead [without the pressure from a Labour government there was no way to force it through] and broght in Adjustment (which is half baked and barely works)

This is such a shame really as it would make everyone probably perform better if they didn't have an offer to meet and also the current system means one year someone might get ' lucky ' if they've missed the grades but other year they might not but if it was a post offer game then unis could make it so you HAVE to have X grades to try and stop the whole uni gamble of applying to places with higher requirements then what you're expecting :/ it's such a dumb system .
Original post by Sugar_1998
my heart sinks to my stomach whenever I remember my c4 paper

Haha same, what exam board? Edexcel?
Original post by chemstudent314
same i found the CH5 6 markers particularly mean:frown: I learnt transition metals so well and it barely came up:colonhash: Yeah same, I feel like the paper for C4 was okay but I messed up and missed a few parts of some questions. BY4 felt like 99% application and 1% recall which was really frustating because I did all the past papers and it something different entirely. Yeah the essay question was okay i guess.. are you going to uni this september?

I completely agree with you. I'm going on a gap year, what about you?
Original post by 420memeception69
Haha same, what exam board? Edexcel?

yh edexcel, i just hate the fact everyone found it so easy ahhh
Original post by Aph
plus if you brought back September resits it would all work perfectly.

The issue unis have is that it would be a nightmare to change their system even if they wanted to because either it would be a sudden shift (lots of chaos) or a change brought it gradually each year (teachers then teaching throughout the year) or the alternative would be to move their start a weak back every year until they reach January which would be better but take forever (17-18 years?)

I do genuinely think that taking a gap year would've meant I would've been less stressed and could just purely concentrate on the exams without thinking I NEED to ace this exam ect as the problem some people have is that you end up putting more effort into certain subjects whereas if you didn't have these offers you would be more likely to just try and get the best grades in everything rather than being lazy for one subject cause you don't need it for your offers :/
Reply 4866
Original post by fefssdf
My insurance gives out accomdation offers from results day but my firm gives out accomdation offers a week after I applied so I knew back in march
you haven't already had to pay the deposit have you???
And my insurance doesn't let you apply for accommodation unless you firm, I thought that was normal.

Original post by PQ
There was a whole movement to get results brought back to early June and uni courses starting in October to go to post results applications.

The exam boards and the scottish universities (and oxbridge and the medics) wouldn't play.

They put the fees up to £9k instead [without the pressure from a Labour government there was no way to force it through] and broght in Adjustment (which is half baked and barely works)

Adjustment is that new??? I really don't think adjustment is common because surely students get married to their firm and don't want to go anywhere else most of the time?

Although it's interesting to know that such a scheme was considered. But wouldn't bringing results day forward mean earlier exams?
I completely agree with you. I'm going on a gap year, what about you?

oh great! hopefully uni depending on my results :') good luck!!
Reply 4868
Original post by fefssdf
I do genuinely think that taking a gap year would've meant I would've been less stressed and could just purely concentrate on the exams without thinking I NEED to ace this exam ect as the problem some people have is that you end up putting more effort into certain subjects whereas if you didn't have these offers you would be more likely to just try and get the best grades in everything rather than being lazy for one subject cause you don't need it for your offers :/

Yeah I see what you mean, I was always told that if you wanted to do maths you shouldn't take a gap year and I wouldn't want to anyway because I honestly have no idea what I'd do with myself:lol:
TBH I wasn't stressed for my exams, I also barely revised though... Just a few past papers in physics and M3 which I knew were my weakest subjects. I kinda feel the stress motivated me.
Original post by Aph
And my insurance doesn't let you apply for accommodation unless you firm, I thought that was normal.

Adjustment is that new??? I really don't think adjustment is common because surely students get married to their firm and don't want to go anywhere else most of the time?

Although it's interesting to know that such a scheme was considered. But wouldn't bringing results day forward mean earlier exams?

some unis let everyone apply whilst others who dont have many rooms will only let firm people apply, and no i haven't paid a deposit yet as obviously i dunno if I'm going to that uni !
Original post by Aph

I think the proposal was to move exams to be all in late April/early May (so more concentrated and just after Easter because most schools don't do much teaching at that point anyway and it gives the easter holidays for revision) with quicker marking (the marking HAS got a lot quicker over the last few years as exam boards have invested in scanning/online marking....but there's no incentive for the exam boards to get any quicker because results day is fixed)
Original post by Aph
Yeah I see what you mean, I was always told that if you wanted to do maths you shouldn't take a gap year and I wouldn't want to anyway because I honestly have no idea what I'd do with myself:lol:
TBH I wasn't stressed for my exams, I also barely revised though... Just a few past papers in physics and M3 which I knew were my weakest subjects. I kinda feel the stress motivated me.

yh i mean if i did take a year out it would probably convince me to take a different degree altogether which might be for the better anyways so idk I'm just gonna see what happens but I'm likely not going anywhere in september
oh great! hopefully uni depending on my results :':wink: good luck!!

Ah what uni are you going to? Thanks and good luck to you too! :smile:
Ah what uni are you going to? Thanks and good luck to you too! :smile:

I put cardiff as my firm and kent as insurance but I feel like I'll have to go through clearing :redface: are you applying for 2017 entry? thank you!
Reply 4874
Original post by fefssdf
some unis let everyone apply whilst others who dont have many rooms will only let firm people apply, and no i haven't paid a deposit yet as obviously i dunno if I'm going to that uni !
i think my insurance makes you pay a deposit when you apply (so before results) I'm glad it's not my firm.

Original post by PQ
I think the proposal was to move exams to be all in late April/early May (so more concentrated and just after Easter because most schools don't do much teaching at that point anyway and it gives the easter holidays for revision) with quicker marking (the marking HAS got a lot quicker over the last few years as exam boards have invested in scanning/online marking....but there's no incentive for the exam boards to get any quicker because results day is fixed)

I'd love an earlier results day :frown: maybe when all exam boards confirm they are done send all their results to UCAS and anounce results day for the next week.

And I wouldn't have completed physics in that case and most of my school were teaching until early May :hide: only the maths department finished late Feb :lol:
Original post by fefssdf
yh i mean if i did take a year out it would probably convince me to take a different degree altogether which might be for the better anyways so idk I'm just gonna see what happens but I'm likely not going anywhere in september
im sure you'll get your firm :h: don't give up hope yet.
I put cardiff as my firm and kent as insurance but I feel like I'll have to go through clearing :redface: are you applying for 2017 entry? thank you!

What course do you want to study? That's the plan but I might go through clearing too depending if I have the grades to apply for medicine 2017 entry or not:redface:
Haha I remember I started last year too then gave up after a good week :u:
There are a few things you can do to prepare yourself though like find the spec for each subject, edit it to make it shorter and print it off so you can use it as a checklist when revising. Also I printed off a few past papers last year for those subjects I knew teachers won't give past papers for.
Have you done a draft of your personal statement for university? I'd recommend doing that now before you start the year :smile:

Thanks for the advice! And yeah our school made us finish it in July
Does anyone else do OCR MEI further maths?
What course do you want to study? That's the plan but I might go through clearing too depending if I have the grades to apply for medicine 2017 entry or not:redface:

biomedicine, ah I see I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile: where do you want to go?
Original post by OGFakiie
Guys I achieved at gcse level: 2a*6a2b, and I've just completed year 12. I am really hoping for all A's so I can be predicted a couple of A*s at A-level.
Do you think its worth applying to Cambridge? I want to study Chemical Engineering.

wait for your results, if your happy with them then apply. but personally i would say apply regardless what grade you got. i got fairly similar grade to u and i have an offer for chemical engineering at cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest