The Student Room Group

University choice regret and how to get over it?

Hi

Some of you might know about this , some won't.
I went to the university of Manchester and I regret going there now just because in retrospect I have come to realise that it's not a respected university (especially in my country and where I work)

In a levels I was quite stupid, I didn't do my research properly and I ended up at a mediocre university that will probably damage my jobs prospects considerably. I regret not applying to a better university and I wish I wasn't so stupid.
So my question is, how do I get over this regret and move on.

Any advice would be helpful!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scruffyjoe
Any one?

You've posted this in the area of the site for Social Work students and applicants - for social work reputation of the university is less important than the actual content of the course and your experiences.

(also fwiw - bumping a thread is fine but you're supposed to wait at least a few hours - it's 9am on a monday morning in the UK so there aren't many people on the site at this point).

It isn't really clear from your post whether you completed your degree at manchester, whether you finished a year or whether you dropped out before finishing a year. Without knowing this, your subject, your country and the sorts of universities you're interested in (there are very few with a reputation better than manchester) it's not likely that anyone will be able to help you.
Reply 2
I had the same regret and, to be honest, I didn't get over it. I am now attending a better university for a different degree. I hope to perform well and upgrade again.
Reply 3
Original post by Assan
I had the same regret and, to be honest, I didn't get over it. I am now attending a better university for a different degree. I hope to perform well and upgrade again.

Which university were you at before? Why didn't you like it?
Reply 4
Which university were you at before? Why didn't you like it?

I was at a university in Canada. The first time around, I could have applied to better universities but I didn't know anything about rankings and prestige. Now I know better.
Reply 5
Original post by Assan
I was at a university in Canada. The first time around, I could have applied to better universities but I didn't know anything about rankings and prestige. Now I know better.

Yess! Me too. No idea about ranking and prestige. Bums me out.
Where have you applied now? If you don't mind me asking?
Reply 6
Yess! Me too. No idea about ranking and prestige. Bums me out.
Where have you applied now? If you don't mind me asking?

Studying Law at Warwick.

Aiming to do well there and then apply to an elite school for postgrad.
If you haven't finished, maybe see about transferring.

Just try to enjoy it now and realise that your school doesn't matter once you get your first job.
Reply 8
I went to Machester university as well and people laugh whenever I tell them and the only jobs I could get were crappy ones. I now tell them I went to London Met.
Hi

Some of you might know about this , some won't.
I went to the university of Manchester and I regret going there now just because in retrospect I have come to realise that it's not a respected university (especially in my country and where I work)

In a levels I was quite stupid, I didn't do my research properly and I ended up at a mediocre university that will probably damage my jobs prospects considerably. I regret not applying to a better university and I wish I wasn't so stupid.
So my question is, how do I get over this regret and move on.

Any advice would be helpful!

Hi,

First, allow me to dispel the myth that Manchester is a mediocre University. I am well aware that on TSR, Manchester gets alot of bashing due to its size and, maybe, local ranking.

For International Students, I do agree that applying to "famous" Universities that will be popular in your home country to get decent jobs. However, to be able to have this, you would need to have studied at Oxford or Cambridge. The other Universities are very subjective in its popularity across the world.

Manchester is ranked as the 33rd Best University in the World. This makes it in the Top 10 in Europe.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

I don't think that Manchester is mediocre and I know people, who have studied there and have done well for themselves.

It is sad that you feel stupid to have studied at Manchester. There are two ways of getting over the "stigma" of studying at Manchester.

The first one is to pursue a postgrad programme at a "better" University, if you can get in. The other one is to embrace your alma mater and look at the positives of being a Manchester alum.

Finally, please can you share your experience of studying in Manchester to show why you dislike the University. This may help future students or applicants.
Original post by Maker
I went to Machester university as well and people laugh whenever I tell them and the only jobs I could get were crappy ones. I now tell them I went to London Met.

Did you study a "crappy" degree? I know a fair number of Manchester students with 2.1s working at large banks or consultancies in the City.
Reply 11
Original post by Maker

I hope you're being sarcastic because this just made me depressed.
Reply 12
Original post by Wired_1800
Did you study a "crappy" degree? I know a fair number of Manchester students with 2.1s working at large banks or consultancies in the City.

I studied law.
Thank you for taking the time to write a long post about the positives of Manchester uni. I hope one day I can get over this and that I can just be happy.

Do you study at UoM? How has your experience been ?
I studied law.
Thank you for taking the time to write a long post about the positives of Manchester uni. I hope one day I can get over this and that I can just be happy.

Do you study at UoM? How has your experience been ?

No, not Manchester, but I know people, who studied and are studying at Manchester.

I don't have any experience of Manchester, so I don't want to diminish your experience, but from what I have been told, Manchester is a really decent University that seems to receive a lot of criticism.

Can you please share your experience of studying there?
Reply 14
Focus on doing well in your degree. I don't think that choice of university is as important as it's made out to be, choice of degree is more important. Law is a well respected degree so I wouldn't worry - if you do well then chances are you'll get interviewed, and if you get your enthusiasm and skills across during an interview then chances are you will get a job :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Wired_1800
No, not Manchester, but I know people, who studied and are studying at Manchester.

I don't have any experience of Manchester, so I don't want to diminish your experience, but from what I have been told, Manchester is a really decent University that seems to receive a lot of criticism.

Can you please share your experience of studying there?

I'll be honest, my reason for disliking Manchester isn't about my experience at the university. Unfortunately it was only after I graduated that I realised how much people dislike and disregard it. And by people I mean my peers from high school, Facebook friends and my family as well (which is always heart breaking) Generally in my country Manchester ( I have now realised) is perceived as a not a very selective university - where any average joe can get in with low grades. Surprisingly Soas is held in very high regard in my country. Also Manchester is looked at as a university for "working class" people in my country. Peoples general reaction to it is usually 'ew' or 'I would never go there My (some relative) went to Harrow eww' This probably sounds really stupid but since I have graduated and started working I almost have to hide the fact that I went there or I end up arguing with people justifying manchesters position - which is never pleasant. It's heart breaking that after working so hard in my a levels and through out my under grad - this is what I have to do - face criticism for choosing Manchester or be considered 'dumb'.
Reply 16
Original post by JC52
Focus on doing well in your degree. I don't think that choice of university is as important as it's made out to be, choice of degree is more important. Law is a well respected degree so I wouldn't worry - if you do well then chances are you'll get interviewed, and if you get your enthusiasm and skills across during an interview then chances are you will get a job :smile:

Thank you for the encouraging post!
I have already graduated. I did reasonably well, and I have a job now. But it's just sad that after working hard in school and uni I am made to feel miserable. It's just not a nice feeling. I guess my country is more obsessed with uni names than elsewhere.

I hope one day I can just move on and be happy and find closure.
Reply 17
Original post by Donkey******
If you haven't finished, maybe see about transferring.

Just try to enjoy it now and realise that your school doesn't matter once you get your first job.

I have already graduated. I actually enjoyed my time at uni. There wasn't anything bad in particular with my uni except for some lecturers (who were bad)
I actually enjoyed my course as well. It's just the reputation of the university that makes me regret my decision.
Reply 18
I'll be honest, my reason for disliking Manchester isn't about my experience at the university. Unfortunately it was only after I graduated that I realised how much people dislike and disregard it. And by people I mean my peers from high school, Facebook friends and my family as well (which is always heart breaking) Generally in my country Manchester ( I have now realised) is perceived as a not a very selective university - where any average joe can get in with low grades. Surprisingly Soas is held in very high regard in my country. Also Manchester is looked at as a university for "working class" people in my country. Peoples general reaction to it is usually 'ew' or 'I would never go there My (some relative) went to Harrow eww' This probably sounds really stupid but since I have graduated and started working I almost have to hide the fact that I went there or I end up arguing with people justifying manchesters position - which is never pleasant. It's heart breaking that after working so hard in my a levels and through out my under grad - this is what I have to do - face criticism for choosing Manchester or be considered 'dumb'.

That's so sad and maddening at the same time!
Why wouldn't they have told you this when you first applied?
-_-
Original post by PQ
I'm not a moderator or member of the community team. I'm trying to help you get an answer to your question.

So sorry that you have to deal with people like OP. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending