The Student Room Group

A Quarter of UK grads are low earners

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
They probably just did some crap degrees like "Women's Studies". Seriously, if it sounds easy then it's probably not a good degree. It's important to actually do research to find out if what you intend to study actually leads to any good careers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by hellodave5
Thanks for the insight.

It would seem that physics or material science or whatever it is, is very expensive, in which there is a lot of practical content with expensive substances and methodologies.

But I wouldn't have thought that would be the case with pretty much almost all other courses.

Any time. (physics btw)

I think it extends a fair amount to other STEM subjects. Cadavers aren't cheap, neither are general chemicals, the various disposable items required for much of biology. A fair amount of engineering equipment can get pricey, as said, even some of the program licences are expensive.

Anything humanities isn't anywhere near as good value if looked at purely from the perspective of time and equipment provided by the uni, nor things such as mathematics. Don't even get me started on Drama :wink:

Like I say though, those people subsidised my degree, so I'll be forever grateful.
Original post by Dheorl
I'd class someone a year into a career as starting that career. Clearly you use a stricter definition.

Well that would be the case if the salary had remained unchanged but if you start on £50k and after two years you're earning £100k you can't say you're starting on £100k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Underscore__
Well that would be the case if the salary had remained unchanged but if you start on £50k and after two years you're earning £100k you can't say you're starting on £100k

I said they're starting in consulting and are on £100k. To me that's reasonable use of the language, I guess to you it's not.

They did a year somewhere and got a £100k job offer somewhere else. Not technically a starting salary I guess, but hey ho, people can view it as they like.
Original post by Princepieman
I agree careers advice in this country is a complete and utter shambles. So many posts on TSR show that by themselves. I heard someone once say that STEM degrees are a way to riches - being fully serious - when engineers and scientists have lower than expected salaries.

I wouldn't look at your course average, what matters is your job/industry's average. Others on your course might be doing something completely unrelated to your current job - which I guess is another issue, people using course salary averages as benchmarks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR has some very elite students and these will do well, but the average STEM snob will be lucky to max out on 60k in today's money lol. The amusing thing is, the typical poor communication skills and general neurosis which holds people back socially, actually will hold them back in the commercial world.
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
TSR has some very elite students and these will do well, but the average STEM snob will be lucky to max out on 60k in today's money lol. The amusing thing is, the typical poor communication skills and general neurosis which holds people back socially, actually will hold them back in the commercial world.

Can't agree more hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you've all missed the point. Labour and the Conservatives both justified tuition fees by arguing that people with degrees earn substantially more over their careers than those who don't. Now it seems that isn't true, even for STEM subjects, so maybe it's time to seriously consider scrapping tuition fees.

Original post by Nadile
They probably just did some crap degrees like "Women's Studies". Seriously, if it sounds easy then it's probably not a good degree. It's important to actually do research to find out if what you intend to study actually leads to any good careers.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and do some research. If you did then you would know that Woman's Studies is not an undergraduate degree in the UK.
Original post by Snufkin
I think you've all missed the point. Labour and the Conservatives both justified tuition fees by arguing that people with degrees earn substantially more over their careers than those who don't. Now it seems that isn't true, even for STEM subjects, so maybe it's time to seriously consider scrapping tuition fees.

Well graduates on average still outearn non-graduates, but of course some non-grads will earn more than some grads et vice versa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Nadile

I agree there are some very odd degrees out there these days that don't even leas into jobs or specific careers, but I ask you this; what about other non-traditional degrees like nursing? Nursing was never a degree requirement, now it is so more universities are offering it.
Original post by Princepieman
Well graduates on average still outearn non-graduates, but of course some non-grads will earn more than some grads et vice versa.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not by much though. We will soon be in a situation when the cost of a degree is more than the average extra salary graduates earn over their lifetime.
Reply 70
Original post by Snufkin
Perhaps you should take your own advice and do some research. If you did then you would know that Woman's Studies is not an undergraduate degree in the UK.

Possibly not officially by that title, but you can do degrees that are pretty much exactly what you would do in a such a course, just a different title.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Off the top of my head... high-paying jobs, critically acclaimed restaurants, Saville Row, world-class museums, arthouse cinemas, airports that directly connect you to pretty much anywhere in the world, Premier League football? You really have awfully low standards and clearly need to get out more.

High paying jobs are surely the main one. You can visit the others pretty easily from a lot of England, as far as the Midlands, if you really want, as often as you'd realistically have time for, for much less money than actually living in London full time. The reason to live in London full time is to have a high paying job, not for the money, but for things like interest, challenge, and status.
Original post by Observatory
High paying jobs are surely the main one. You can visit the others pretty easily from a lot of England, as far as the Midlands, if you really want, as often as you'd realistically have time for, for much less money than actually living in London full time.

I don't know, man - it's nice to step outside of your place and have a nice neighborhood, great restaurants, and entertainment/culture right there, instead of a 30-60 minute car/train ride away. The quality-of-live is worth the money.
I don't know, man - it's nice to step outside of your place and have a nice neighborhood, great restaurants, and entertainment/culture right there, instead of a 30-60 minute car/train ride away. The quality-of-live is worth the money.

OK but this is living in Belgravia not "London". There are many parts of London that are further (in terms of time) from cool parts of London than Bristol or Northampton.
Original post by Observatory
OK but this is living in Belgravia not "London". There are many parts of London that are further (in terms of time) from cool parts of London than Bristol or Northampton.

That is why I said 'central and west London' ;-)
Reply 75
Original post by DystopiaisReal
My cousin went to Oxford and several of her friends said that they couldn't get any work.... having said that she did classics which doesn't directly lead to any specific careers. :s-smilie:

A perfect example why the university system is broken. Vast majority of kids at 18 want to go to uni for one or both of two reasons: 1. Have a blast and 2. You need it for a job.

But when you actually fast forward three years, well having had a blast for three years is not gonna set you for life, having studied something that you enjoy but has very limited career options is not gonna set you for life (automatically).

There are far too many kids going to university and far too many doing degrees where the number of graduates outstrips jobs.
Reply 76
Nope, not even close to London in terms of quality and quantity.

And just out of curiosity, by your logic, why on earth are you not living in Tokyo?
Original post by Dheorl
And just out of curiosity, by your logic, why on earth are you not living in Tokyo?

I nearly moved there but went for Hong Kong in the end. Now in Dubai - working my way back towards Europe. Like to be closer to family.
Reply 78
I nearly moved there but went for Hong Kong in the end. Now in Dubai - working my way back towards Europe. Like to be closer to family.

So you've purposefully lived in "lesser" cities for no good reason? Odd considering you're viewpoints.
Original post by Dheorl
So you've purposefully lived in "lesser" cities for no good reason? Odd considering you're viewpoints.

There were very good reasons. And I have lived in central London before, and plan to do so again. To me it is more appealing than Tokyo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending