The Student Room Group

University choice regret and how to get over it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scruffyjoe
I'll be honest, my reason for disliking Manchester isn't about my experience at the university. Unfortunately it was only after I graduated that I realised how much people dislike and disregard it. And by people I mean my peers from high school, Facebook friends and my family as well (which is always heart breaking) Generally in my country Manchester ( I have now realised) is perceived as a not a very selective university - where any average joe can get in with low grades. Surprisingly Soas is held in very high regard in my country. Also Manchester is looked at as a university for "working class" people in my country. Peoples general reaction to it is usually 'ew' or 'I would never go there My (some relative) went to Harrow eww' This probably sounds really stupid but since I have graduated and started working I almost have to hide the fact that I went there or I end up arguing with people justifying manchesters position - which is never pleasant. It's heart breaking that after working so hard in my a levels and through out my under grad - this is what I have to do - face criticism for choosing Manchester or be considered 'dumb'.

Okay, let me start with this. Except a person went to Oxford or Cambridge, they should keep their mouth shut about how "grand" their University is. People will try to bash your university, in order to raise their rubbish university.

I am glad that you had a good experience of the University. The main problem is that you want others to love your University (the way you probably do).

Manchester is not selective because it is a VERY LARGE University. There are more than 37,000 students pursuing courses at the University. To fill the spaces, the University needs to be semi-selective (i.e. selective for some courses and not selective for others). If not, there will be courses, where there are only 2 students.

If you doubt me, look at the entry requirements for all courses at Manchester, you will see some courses requiring high A Level grades and others requiring average grades.

Secondly, to be selective, Manchester will be competing with Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL etc. for students. As you have said, Manchester's public profile is not that high to attract students vying for places at UCL or Cambridge. They could, but in the end, university reputation often takes precedence.

For example, Engineering at Imperial and Cambridge are about the same level of quality, but many students may choose Cambridge over Imperial based on overall University reputation.

SOAS being popular in your home country has nothing to do with Manchester being a really good university. It is like arguing that because Bristol is more popular than Imperial in Cambodia means that Imperial is not a really good University.

I agree that Manchester is viewed as the "working class" University, which is based on its location. Someone told my friend that Manchester was the poor man's Cambridge, which was unfair to the students at Manchester.

Also not all studying that went to Harrow end up at Oxbridge or other top universities, even at Manchester. So studying at Harrow may not necessarily be a determinant for future success.

It is sad that people's subjective opinion has harmed your view of your University. Hopefully, things get better.

Don't regret choosing Manchester. Many Universities gain their reputation because of the alumni network. So you can do more about Manchester, by dispelling the myths and trying to change people's opinions.

You should also be weary about negative reviews about Manchester on TSR. Many TSRians are Oxbridge and London Universities (UCL, Imperial, LSE) believers and Manchester just does not fit the mould.

I am not even affiliated to Manchester and I am trying to change your opinion of your OWN university.

Good luck
Reply 21
Original post by AvWOW
That's so sad and maddening at the same time!
Why wouldn't they have told you this when you first applied?
-_-

I think it's my fault - I was quite dumb in a levels because I didn't do my research properly and I didn't ask around. I think I just heard someone talking about Manchester and I just put it in my ucas.
Really regret that now. My advice to any applying students now would be to do your research well!
Reply 22
I think it's my fault - I was quite dumb in a levels because I didn't do my research properly and I didn't ask around. I think I just heard someone talking about Manchester and I just put it in my ucas.
Really regret that now. My advice to any applying students now would be to do your research well!

Awww :frown:
Yup. that will be good advice. Good luck
Reply 23
I'll be honest, my reason for disliking Manchester isn't about my experience at the university. Unfortunately it was only after I graduated that I realised how much people dislike and disregard it. And by people I mean my peers from high school, Facebook friends and my family as well (which is always heart breaking) Generally in my country Manchester ( I have now realised) is perceived as a not a very selective university - where any average joe can get in with low grades. Surprisingly Soas is held in very high regard in my country. Also Manchester is looked at as a university for "working class" people in my country. Peoples general reaction to it is usually 'ew' or 'I would never go there My (some relative) went to Harrow eww' This probably sounds really stupid but since I have graduated and started working I almost have to hide the fact that I went there or I end up arguing with people justifying manchesters position - which is never pleasant. It's heart breaking that after working so hard in my a levels and through out my under grad - this is what I have to do - face criticism for choosing Manchester or be considered 'dumb'.

the fact that soas is viewed in higher regard than Manchester in your country tells me your peers know nothing and their opinion is worth ****.
Reply 24
Original post by Wired_1800
Did you study a "crappy" degree? I know a fair number of Manchester students with 2.1s working at large banks or consultancies in the City.

I did biochemistry which is like chemistry for stupid people. My friend on the same course worked for Credit Suisse but got made redundant.
You need to not listen to people being silly about prestige. Prestige is only valuable for limited reasons.*
Original post by Maker
I did biochemistry which is like chemistry for stupid people. My friend on the same course worked for Credit Suisse but got made redundant.

I was just trying to know what subject the OP did. I was not insulting the OP.

If I may ask, why did your friend get made redundant? Was it performance related?
Reply 27
I was just trying to know what subject the OP did. I was not insulting the OP.

If I may ask, why did your friend get made redundant? Was it performance related?

No idea why he was made redundant, he is a teacher now. I don't think he liked working with money much.
Original post by Maker
No idea why he was made redundant, he is a teacher now. I don't think he liked working with money much.

Fair enough.
Reply 29
Okay, let me start with this. Except a person went to Oxford or Cambridge, they should keep their mouth shut about how "grand" their University is. People will try to bash your university, in order to raise their rubbish university.

I am glad that you had a good experience of the University. The main problem is that you want others to love your University (the way you probably do).

Manchester is not selective because it is a VERY LARGE University. There are more than 37,000 students pursuing courses at the University. To fill the spaces, the University needs to be semi-selective (i.e. selective for some courses and not selective for others). If not, there will be courses, where there are only 2 students.

If you doubt me, look at the entry requirements for all courses at Manchester, you will see some courses requiring high A Level grades and others requiring average grades.

Secondly, to be selective, Manchester will be competing with Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL etc. for students. As you have said, Manchester's public profile is not that high to attract students vying for places at UCL or Cambridge. They could, but in the end, university reputation often takes precedence.

For example, Engineering at Imperial and Cambridge are about the same level of quality, but many students may choose Cambridge over Imperial based on overall University reputation.

SOAS being popular in your home country has nothing to do with Manchester being a really good university. It is like arguing that because Bristol is more popular than Imperial in Cambodia means that Imperial is not a really good University.

I agree that Manchester is viewed as the "working class" University, which is based on its location. Someone told my friend that Manchester was the poor man's Cambridge, which was unfair to the students at Manchester.

Also not all studying that went to Harrow end up at Oxbridge or other top universities, even at Manchester. So studying at Harrow may not necessarily be a determinant for future success.

It is sad that people's subjective opinion has harmed your view of your University. Hopefully, things get better.

Don't regret choosing Manchester. Many Universities gain their reputation because of the alumni network. So you can do more about Manchester, by dispelling the myths and trying to change people's opinions.

You should also be weary about negative reviews about Manchester on TSR. Many TSRians are Oxbridge and London Universities (UCL, Imperial, LSE) believers and Manchester just does not fit the mould.

I am not even affiliated to Manchester and I am trying to change your opinion of your OWN university.

Good luck

Thank you for writing such a long post of encouragemen! I appreciate it.

Hopefully one day things will get better :smile:
have a great day!
Reply 30
Original post by Tai Ga
the fact that soas is viewed in higher regard than Manchester in your country tells me your peers know nothing and their opinion is worth ****.

I know right!?
It's only recently that I have realised that Soas isnt even that good (compared to Manchester at least)!!
Reply 31
Original post by AvWOW
Awww :frown:
Yup. that will be good advice. Good luck

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest