The Student Room Group

French mayor bans burkinis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dima-Blackburn
I'm not moving any goal post. Work on your reading and comprehension skills.

you implied you were German (I see now to allow you to build your straw man argument)

But again with the attack:biggrin:
Original post by BaconandSauce
Not what I asked I asked how would I know they are white

This is your claim so at least make some effort to defend it (or is it just more lies to help you score a few cheap point against me?)

I don't need to "defend" the obvious; you casually stated that your mother-in-law moved to France without feeling the need to explain her immigration status. So if a White person moves abroad then they must have valid reasons such as work, no questions ask about their citizenship. If a Black person moves for abroad for some time then they are "culture shopping" and must prove their immigration status. That is your prejudiced view that you spelled out yourself.

I already mentioned one way: a profile picture which is obviously theirs, though another way could be the person stating their race. The fact that you singled out the one person who is obviously Black (out of the many other people who criticised the ban) for personal, racist attacks was not a coincidence. Even if you claim that you have no way of knowing whether or not someone is White (which is false), one thing I know for certain is that you were aware that I was non-White.
Original post by WBZ144
I don't need to "defend" the obvious; you casually stated that your mother-in-law moved to France without feeling the need to explain her immigration status. So if a White person moves abroad then they must have valid reasons such as work, no questions ask about their citizenship. If a Black person moves for abroad for some time then they are "culture shopping" and must prove their immigration status. That is your prejudiced view that you spelled out yourself.

I already mentioned one way: a profile picture which is obviously theirs, though another way could be the person stating their race. The fact that you singled out the one person who is obviously Black (out of the many other people who criticised the ban) for personal, racist attacks was not a coincidence. Even if you claim that you have no way of knowing whether or not someone is White (which is false), one thing I know for certain is that you were aware that I was non-White.

you made a claim about me that it seems you are unable to back up other than what you 'think you know'

So it was nothing more than a personal attack on me because you don't like my opinion.

I didn't single you out I replied to a comment and we have been going back and fourth (such is the way on a forum)

and it seems the message (one I've stated numerous times) didn't get to the cheap seats so do I need to repeat myself again?
Original post by Robby2312
Where did I say they shouldnt abide by the countrys laws? I said they should because otherwise they'll end up imprisoned for it.There is no reason why we shouldnt criticise those laws though but if you want to change those laws then its up to the local people not us.And I've already said that western culture is superior,there is nothing wrong with cultural supremicism when its true.Not all cultures are equal.Saudi arabia beheads gay people and Iran hangs them,you cant tell me that that culture is equal to ours where they can be open about who they are.Its just not.That culture is inferior.The ban is to do both.Islam forces women to cover up to protect their modesty.But extreme Islam encourages terrorism and if you're an islamic extremist you're likely to cover up.There is a correlation between extreme Islam and terrorism.Those people who say it has nothing to do with Islam are wrong.It has everything to do with it.

My personal belief is that every culture has good and bad. I am against cultural supremacy in the sense of wanting to force people to abide by your culture or thinking that you are above obeying their laws while expecting the opposite behaviour from people who come to your country. Your belief that Western culture is superior to all other is your opinion, which I have not cared to challenge, as you are entitled to it.

Do you agree with forcing nuns to take off their habits then? The Bible is a sexist book which has also ordered women to be modest.

I don't think that those terrorist groups have nothing to do with Islam, but how is calling women who wear hijabs terrorists and treating them like they are going to help the situation?
you made a claim about me that it seems you are unable to back up other than what you 'think you know'

So it was nothing more than a personal attack on me because you don't like my opinion.

I didn't single you out I replied to a comment and we have been going back and fourth (such is the way on a forum)

and it seems the message (one I've stated numerous times) didn't get to the cheap seats so do I need to repeat myself again?

Tell me then: how many other users have you asked to "prove" that they are not immigrants?
disgusting... being muslim is not equivalent to supporting terrorism... and anyone in the western world should be allowed to dress any way they like, I support secularism in public institutions (education, courts, politics) but if someone wants to be religious they are not doing anyone any harm... if someone is stupid enough to kick off cos someone wore a different swimsuit to them then they are a moron and the fault lies solely with them

all that will happen is muslim women will either not go to the beach or have to sit there fully dressed

also, the more we refuse to allow people from other cultures to live freely, the more we marginalise them - the more these people will be vulnerable to extremism
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Tell me then: how many other users have you asked to "prove" that they are not immigrants?

I have not asked you to prove that you are not an immigrant I've simply asked you to be honest about your immigrant status on this thread (rather than me having to find the posts were we have discussed this before)

But I've asked other immigrants (regardless of race) why they think they should be able to dictate what the cultures their parents chose to move to should give way to attitudes to the cultural norms from an alien religion (in this case) and lets be fair you didn't choose to be an immigrant this was your parents choice as they though they could give you better (just like the family members of yours who may move to Ireland at some point in the future to get, shall we say, a better deal)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by remiremi
Good, full body Burka type outfits are only worn in Syria/Iran/Iraq and the liberal west by a minority of hardcore Muslims. In some women are not even allowed to swim on their own on risk of being arrested.

Maybe this will give french Muslim families/husbands the hint to let their daughters/wives wear what they want in public.

Not what their religious cult demands them

It's because of generalized stereotypes like this that I, a Muslim woman who CHOOSES to cover am discriminated against regularly. Yes, there are women out there that are forced, but there are MANY who are not and who chose to dress conservatively. By france imposing all of these bans, I have part of my freedom restricted. I don't care if you think that me chosing to cover is suppresive, I see it as the exact opposite, I do not need to conform to the ideals of society. France are very hypocritical in alot of what they've said/done in the past.
The French government have taken a stand, finally, against the terror of some people being forced to wear a Burqa.

The only way to prevent women being stripped of their right to choose is by stripping them of their right to choose.

Forget the law. It's stupid, but ultimately meaningless and counterproductive - An abused woman without freedom won't suddenly gain freedom by preventing them going to the beach. What concerns me about this law is the clear precedent being set to remove religious freedoms and the horrendous amount of Orwellian doublespeak being used to promote it.

It would scarcely be worse if they tagged: "Ban the Burqini! Freedom is slavery." to their law-bill.

War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3741407/Corsica-BANS-burqini-following-brawl-North-Africans-locals-saw-one-man-harpooned-woman-photographed-wearing-Islamic-bodysuit.html
Corsica BANS the burqini following brawl between North Africans and locals that saw one man harpooned after a woman was photographed wearing the Islamic bodysuit

actions have consequences.
Original post by Sara_t
You are an idiot. It's because of generalized stereotypes like this that I, a Muslim woman who CHOOSES to cover am discriminated against regularly. Yes, there are women out there that are forced, but there are MANY who are not and who chose to dress conservatively. By france imposing all of these bans, I have part of my freedom restricted. I don't care if you think that me chosing to cover is suppresive, I see it as the exact opposite, I do not need to conform to the ideals of society. France are very hypocritical in alot of what they've said/done in the past.

Do you think prostitution should be legal?
Original post by Sara_t
You are an idiot. It's because of generalized stereotypes like this that I, a Muslim woman who CHOOSES to cover am discriminated against regularly. Yes, there are women out there that are forced, but there are MANY who are not and who chose to dress conservatively. By france imposing all of these bans, I have part of my freedom restricted. I don't care if you think that me chosing to cover is suppresive, I see it as the exact opposite, I do not need to conform to the ideals of society. France are very hypocritical in alot of what they've said/done in the past.

Are you French?

Do you often go on holiday to Cannes?

If not this nothing has been restricted for you at all.
Original post by Sara_t
I, a Muslim woman who CHOOSES

Do you support he choice of Muslim women to go topless at these beaches?
(edited 7 years ago)
Apparently two other places in France has banned it. :smile:
Original post by MeYou2Night
Apparently two other places in France has banned it. :smile:

yes it seems that way

I think one is because the mayor won the case in court so it now has the backing of the courts.
yes it seems that way

I think one is because the mayor won the case in court so it now has the backing of the courts.

Yep :smile: hopefully it'll be done at a national level too. I would like the rest of Europe to follow suit.
I have not asked you to prove that you are not an immigrant I've simply asked you to be honest about your immigrant status on this thread (rather than me having to find the posts were we have discussed this before)

But I've asked other immigrants (regardless of race) why they think they should be able to dictate what the cultures their parents chose to move to should give way to attitudes to the cultural norms from an alien religion (in this case) and lets be fair you didn't choose to be an immigrant this was your parents choice as they though they could give you better (just like the family members of yours who may move to Ireland at some point in the future to get, shall we say, a better deal)

Again with the assumption that being non-White = your parents immigrated to this country "to give you better", which further proves my point.

I already told you that I do not feel the need to prove anything to you. If I ever said that I was an immigrant or that my parents are, you are free to quote where I said this. If you can't, it makes complete sense to conclude that you assumed this because I'm Black.
Original post by MeYou2Night
Yep :smile: hopefully it'll be done at a national level too. I would like the rest of Europe to follow suit.

while I support the Burka ban this is not one I support (but I do understand) as I think we should always try and be better then they are

but I am enjoying the people getting their panties in a wad over what is really a local issue
Original post by WBZ144
Again with the assumption that being non-White = your parents immigrated to this country "to give you better", which further proves my point.

as I keep saying it's not an assumption I have made it is based on previous discussions I have had with you
as I keep saying it's not an assumption I have made it is based on previous discussions I have had with you

Yet you can't quote these discussions. All I ever mentioned was that I have lived abroad, as your mother in law does, yet it is a different case for her than it is for me. How come?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending