The Student Room Group

Will GCSES hold me back?

Hi guys,

I'm increasingly worried as to whether my GCSES will hold me back from obtaining a training contract. I only achieved 2A*'s 4B's and 4C's. However I achieved ABB and i'm confident i'll achieve a 2:1 in uni after doing so in my first year studying philosophy and politics. I'm trying to make up for these grades with lots of work experience.

Do you think law firms will care about my mediocre GCSE grades?
(edited 7 years ago)
You have a levels and a degree. Nobody will give a crap about your GCSEs
Source: Parents are employers, spoke to teachers.
Reply 2
Original post by an_atheist
You have a levels and a degree. Nobody will give a crap about your GCSEs
Source: Parents are employers, spoke to teachers.

I understand for many places they don't care about GCSEs. But I think with Law firms it could be a bit different?
Original post by Nozick11
I understand for many places they don't care about GCSEs. But I think with Law firms it could be a bit different?

I wouldn't have thought so. GCSEs are far too broad to be an accurate depiction of a persons ability, so assuming your degree is good then you should be fine.
Hi guys,

I'm increasingly worried as to whether my GCSES will hold me back from obtaining a training contract. I only achieved 2A*'s 4B's and 4C's. However I achieved ABB and i'm confident i'll achieve a 2:1 in uni after doing so in my first year studying philosophy and politics. I'm trying to make up for these grades with lots of work experience.

Do you think law firms will care about my mediocre GCSE grades?

Doubt it. Exam results from 6 years ago are a poor indicator of suitability for a job in present time.
Reply 5
bad GCSEs going to uni can be a problem.

employers - no. as long as you got decent maths/english GCSEs all should be well.
Reply 6
Original post by tg1998
bad GCSEs going to uni can be a problem.

employers - no. as long as you got decent maths/english GCSEs all should be well.

Thats the problem, my 4C's were in all three sciences and maths :/
Reply 7
Thats the problem, my 4C's were in all three sciences and maths :/

c will be fine. as long as you didn't fail.

GCSEs are kind of irrelevant by the time you are in employment. if you are strong, they will not, not employ you due to a couple of iffy grades
Reply 8
They place more emphasis on your A levels and many firms operate a filter to cut down applicants. Most city firms have it set at AAB, a few ABB. So a fair few city firms may be out of reach due to your A levels, not GCSE's.
8 C's at GCSE here, AAAA at AS and predicted A*AA for A2 levels, so I don't think so, got offers from solid unis (warwick, notts, manchester, cass)
Reply 10
Original post by glebp
8 C's at GCSE here, AAAA at AS and predicted A*AA for A2 levels, so I don't think so, got offers from solid unis (warwick, notts, manchester, cass)

What one did you pick? I'm doing Law at Manchester (University of Manchester) in September. Got a mate who does Law at Warwick
Reply 11
Original post by glebp

What one did you pick? I'm doing Law at Manchester (University of Manchester) in September. Got a mate who does Law at Warwick
Reply 12
Original post by glebp

What one did you pick? I'm doing Law at Manchester (University of Manchester) in September. Got a mate who does Law at Warwick, can vouch for that and Manchester. Notts is very good too.
I went out with a trainee solicitor for a few months before she went psycho. You might not want to hear this, but at her firm, she said there were three criteria (1) did you go to an ok university (2)have you said anything dumb in application or assessment? (3)most important - do you look like a trainee solicitor
Original post by ORW
What one did you pick? I'm doing Law at Manchester (University of Manchester) in September. Got a mate who does Law at Warwick, can vouch for that and Manchester. Notts is very good too.

Sorry didn't regosnise this is specifically for law

I firmed Warwick and insured Nottingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending