The Student Room Group

Future teachers!

I have no idea how successful this will be but anyway...
There's loads of threads dedicated to those who are teachers, training to be teachers and applying for pgces and the likes. But, what about those of us who still have a few years to go before we can become teachers? That's why I've created this thread so, we can support each other and track our progress. Teachers are welcome too btw for advice if they want.
@1secondsofvamps quoting you because I know you want to be a teacher :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChemGeek16
I have no idea how successful this will be but anyway...
There's loads of threads dedicated to those who are teachers, training to be teachers and applying for pgces and the likes. But, what about those of us who still have a few years to go before we can become teachers? That's why I've created this thread so, we can support each other and track our progress. Teachers are welcome too btw for advice if they want.
@1secondsofvamps quoting you because I know you want to be a teacher :smile:

I'm glad you made this thread, it really is a good idea to write down our progress/advice etc.

I'm going into year 13 so what I need to focus on at the moment is writing my personal statement (for primary education). I also need to start studying for the Professional Skills Tests in literacy and numeracy. One of the uni I'm applying to is Hertfordshire and on their website it says I must pass those tests before starting my course. I've already got myself a copy of the book to help me study but I'm not sure when I'm going to book the exams.
I am going an access psychology course this year, but teaching is a very likely end-goal (talking 4-7 years away!)

Ideally I would want to work secondary, but for Psychology, college level appears incredibly more realistic.
Reply 3
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I'm glad you made this thread, it really is a good idea to write down our progress/advice etc.

I'm going into year 13 so what I need to focus on at the moment is writing my personal statement (for primary education). I also need to start studying for the Professional Skills Tests in literacy and numeracy. One of the uni I'm applying to is Hertfordshire and on their website it says I must pass those tests before starting my course. I've already got myself a copy of the book to help me study but I'm not sure when I'm going to book the exams.

Thank you 😊 I'm going into year 12 and am taking a levels in chemistry, physics and psychology. At my college, one of the enrichment activities is a 'routes to teaching' course where, I'll be helping out in a primary school and completing work with a university. Good luck with your personal statement 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Platinum213
I am going an access psychology course this year, but teaching is a very likely end-goal (talking 4-7 years away!)

Ideally I would want to work secondary, but for Psychology, college level appears incredibly more realistic.

Good luck 😊 I'm choosing between Chemisty and psychology. Are you doing a straight psychology degree or is it teamed with somethings else such as biology or maths?
Original post by ChemGeek16
Good luck 😊 I'm choosing between Chemisty and psychology. Are you doing a straight psychology degree or is it teamed with somethings else such as biology or maths?

At the moment it is is either straight PSY, or PSY with education studies.

PSY with criminology also seems very appealing.

The uni I want to go to does not do any teamed with biology or maths. Biology would be a good one though (being on the Ncurriculum, for teaching).
why would you want to be a teacher earning so little
Original post by Hashtosh302

I'm sure you'll soon realise at some point in your life that money is not everything.
Original post by Platinum213
I'm sure you'll soon realise at some point in your life that money is not everything.

life is about money, how else are you gunna survive?

Teachers get decent salaries but with the bonus of excellent holidays. Once you leave school you'l find it hard to secure a job with a holiday schedule like a schools.

Even though teachers may not earn much they are in demand everywhere. Without them who is gonna teach?
Even though teachers may not earn much they are in demand everywhere. Without them who is gonna teach?

tutor, you could teach your self,(ie reading books)

the only reason teachers are in demand is because people dont want to waste their time teaching kids who dont care about their future
Original post by johnTroy1
Teachers get decent salaries but with the bonus of excellent holidays. Once you leave school you'l find it hard to secure a job with a holiday schedule like a schools.

Trust me, they are anything but holidays. Teachers spend most of their spare time marking, preparing for classes or handling meaningless management bureaucracy - even during holidays. Then there's the element of having to actually teach large classes of misbehaving students who don't care what you're talking about. Nowadays, pension options are much worse than what they used to be too.

It's stressful stuff overall. I really respect those of you going into it because I've seen how much of a toll it can take on you, coming from a family of teachers myself.
Reply 13

the only reason teachers are in demand is because people dont want to waste their time teaching kids who dont care about their future

Who would teach you how to read these 'teach yourself' books in the first place? Where would the authors of these books learn to write? It continues to astound me that people actually write things like 'why would anyone want to become a teacher?' without considering the fact that the only reason they know how to write this is because someone taught them how to do so. Consider yourself fortunate that there are people out there willing to sacrifice a more financially rewarding career out of sheer dedication and passion for teaching.
Original post by Pierson
Who would teach you how to read these 'teach yourself' books in the first place? Where would the authors of these books learn to write? It continues to astound me that people actually write things like 'why would anyone want to become a teacher?' without considering the fact that the only reason they know how to write this is because someone taught them how to do so. Consider yourself fortunate that there are people out there willing to sacrifice a more financially rewarding career out of sheer dedication and passion for teaching.

You dont have to be labelled a 'teacher' to teach other people you know?

Now a days, in my case, teachers in secondary school dont reallly do anything, just tell you to copy out something from a powepoint, most things I've learnt is because of me and not teachers
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paraphilos
Trust me, they are anything but holidays. Teachers spend most of their spare time marking, preparing for classes or handling meaningless management bureaucracy - even during holidays. Then there's the element of having to actually teach large classes of misbehaving students who don't care what you're talking about. Nowadays, pension options are much worse than what they used to be too.

It's stressful stuff overall. I really respect those of you going into it because I've seen how much of a toll it can take on you, coming from a family of teachers myself.

All jobs can be highly taxing on the person employed + their families. Teachers do not spend their full holidays -especially summer- preparing lessons. Their time off compared to other professions is insane. Sure the prepare classes ect but considering the teach the same subjects every year (talking secondary school) I would hardly say their holidays are "anything but holidays". And as for misbehaving students, there are difficulties and hurdles to jump over in all professions, people know what to expect when the sign up. Don't get me wrong I understand the role of a teacher can be stressful to say the least, I just believe the amount of holiday time the get is extraordinary compared to the majority of careers.

Fair enough but what about primary school children, they can't teach themselves and they need far more help/attention. Teachers work hard to come up with lesson plans that are not only educational but also interactive and engaging at the same time.
Original post by johnTroy1
All jobs can be highly taxing on the person employed + their families. Teachers do not spend their full holidays -especially summer- preparing lessons. Their time off compared to other professions is insane. Sure the prepare classes ect but considering the teach the same subjects every year (talking secondary school) I would hardly say their holidays are "anything but holidays". And as for misbehaving students, there are difficulties and hurdles to jump over in all professions, people know what to expect when the sign up. Don't get me wrong I understand the role of a teacher can be stressful to say the least, I just believe the amount of holiday time the get is extraordinary compared to the majority of careers.

I understand what you're saying and, of course, they don't spend every waking hour of holidays doing work. What I'm saying is that it's easy to be astounded at their supposed free time and then just say 'well it's really not that bad, is it?'. If it were so great a profession, the government would be able to retain most new teachers. But they can't.

The biggest problem with education in the UK is the disdain people seem to have of teachers in general. They're generally looked down upon as failures, which is quite worrying and only fuels public anger when they go out on protest. I've lived and worked in China (not as a teacher albeit) and the level of reverence they have for teachers in Chinese culture is really remarkable. This respect is key and it's something that the UK severely lacks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Fair enough but what about primary school children, they can't teach themselves and they need far more help/attention. Teachers work hard to come up with lesson plans that are not only educational but also interactive and engaging at the same time.

well, the only reason i think someone might want to teach little kids is because they like working with kids helping them improve and dont mind being broke

also the parents can teach them(if they have the time) or hire tutours(if they have the money) and if not then I guess public education is the only option, and when I think about it more deeply I'm quite grateful that theres who vauled pritotise other people than themselves
Original post by Paraphilos

The biggest problem with education in the UK is the disdain people seem to have of teachers in general. They're generally looked down upon as failures, which is quite worrying and only fuels public anger when they go out on protest. I've lived and worked in China (not as a teacher albeit) and the level of reverence they have for teachers in Chinese culture is really remarkable. This respect is key and it's something that the UK severely lacks.

yeah thats quite true, not many people value how important teachers are which is why there always going on strikes, and its proabably the same reason why i asked that question. Then again it could just be english culture

Quick Reply

Latest