The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jchap9776
With the 300 word goldman cover letter, it seems near impossible to tailor it to 3 divisions so, are people keeping theirs general and applying to all 3 or specific and applying to 1/2 divisions?? sorry but i didn't bother applying to their spring week so first time im doing this lol (applying to securities, global investment research & investment management atm)

Usually, focusing on one division is better, but if you wanna apply for three divisions, don't tailor it to each, rather focus on why Goldman and why they should select you.
Reply 661
Original post by torres657
It seems we can't apply for LAZ unless we are penultimate year

I am a penultimate year but I believe you can apply if you have intention for masters and must state that in the education section - I remember reading it somewhere in their application guide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 662
Can you put future positions on CVs and applications. For example, I start a role with an AM firm when term starts but submitting now?
Original post by Askaud
Can you put future positions on CVs and applications. For example, I start a role with an AM firm when term starts but submitting now?

Yes. And if you know what you'll be doing you can put that too - just make sure to put the dates for the position.
What are Credit Suisse good at (division wise)? Seems to be quite a difficult question
What are Credit Suisse good at (division wise)? Seems to be quite a difficult question

Credit Trading is one of the things I have heard about...

IBD, espesh sponsors + levfin. They're pretty decent at equity derivs and ofc trading swiss currency pairs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheParham
Credit Trading is one of the things I have heard about...

ty
Original post by Princepieman
IBD, espesh sponsors + levfin. They're pretty decent at equity derivs and ofc trading swiss currency pairs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks prince, will probs apply ibd then
Pointless applying to US positions? (GS)
Original post by DireB95
Does anyone know if you can apply to two positions with JPM?

Just one.
can you apply to multiple positions at Lazard? As in can I apply for financial advisory now and asset management in October (when it opens)?
Original post by Kiwith

yes unless you got the right papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

would be really grateful if you could tell us about best groups in mid tier BBs and below
Citi/BAML/UBS/CS/etc.
Original post by Kiwith

100000000% pointless. You have no access to any on campus recruitment and unless you're literally a GOD at networking, your CV will just fall into the void.

Visa isn't an issue though, there are internship visas available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiwith

I would say so, the talent pool there is pretty amazing
Reply 676
100000000% pointless. You have no access to any on campus recruitment and unless you're literally a GOD at networking, your CV will just fall into the void.

Visa isn't an issue though, there are internship visas available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it help if you spend an exchange semester in a target US uni with on campus recruiting? Also any particular reason why all the big firms don't ask for CLs for US positions?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by savonarola
would be really grateful if you could tell us about best groups in mid tier BBs and below
Citi/BAML/UBS/CS/etc.

I only have snippets for IBD/S&T from people who I've spoken to over time, so it is not definitive and only covers a few groups. Truthfully, it shouldn't matter that much. Focus should be more on area of interest than what is 'perceived' as strong.

Citi
IBD: M&A, Industrials, LevFin
S&T: All FX products, Rates

BAML
IBD: Consumer + Retail, Sponsors, M&A, LevFin
S&T: not sure

UBS
IBD: FIG, M&A, TMT, ECM
S&T: FX

Barclay's
IBD: Power, UK M&A, Nat Res
S&T: Rates

DB
IBD: LevFin, Sponsors, Industrials, Aero + Defense
S&T: Rates, FX

CS
IBD: UKIB, LevFin + Sponsors, TMT
S&T: not sure

EDIT: common point made in previous discussions were that the top groups are also where you will not have a life in IBD

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dasu95
Does it help if you spend an exchange semester in a target US uni with on campus recruiting? Also any particular reason why all the big firms don't ask for CLs for US positions?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, yes it would help.

No idea sorry, but my guess would be to save time. Most recruiters don't read CLs as it is, they merely check for grammar issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 679
I only have snippets for IBD/S&T from people who I've spoken to over time, so it is not definitive and only covers a few groups. Truthfully, it shouldn't matter that much. Focus should be more on area of interest than what is 'perceived' as strong.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Great Post!

Do you guys know which banks tend to start / be done with recruiting the earliest? I know Lazard finished quite early last year.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest