The Student Room Group

Messed up my life

Hi guys. So long story short - I am a failure. At 18, I was diagnosed as autistic after several years of struggling. At this point, I didn't feel ready to go to university and didn't have the grades anyways so went off to college to do more A levels to get my points up. Failed the AS levels as there was just so much going on in my life I had a mental breakdown and honestly the subjects were too difficult for me (two were chosen for me at random with no input from me because my choices were full). Ended up doing a BTEC course which got me enough points to get into uni. However, once I got there I was not getting on well with the course and decided to switch (my biggest regret). This new course was terrible, and I had another bought of bad mental health which ended in me having to suspend the course and restart at year 1 that september (my uni were also messing me around at this time, saying I hadn't put the form in which I had and they had lost it so making me several round trips back there on days where I was struggling to get out of bed). So that came around and I failed the course for various reasons. But my only option then was to withdraw, I couldn't repeat the year because apparently I had already used my "gift year" of student finance because the uni hadn't put in my suspension form for the first year so that had counted as me being there all year and failing. So now, I have no degree and no way of ever studying for one again, no work experience as I was always being pushed into academia, no job prospects other than retail work which I keep getting rejected for and basically wondering if there's any point to my life.
Hi fellow autistic person! I'm a first class graduate going through similar things. So don't fret if you failed in education, it doesn't stop you from working your way up the job ladder.

That said, you need to identify a genuine interest in some career in order to get started.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Can you not do a higher apprenticeship in your chosen area with your BTEC? Or at least an advanced one.
Don't worry just pray to God.
Everything is done for a reason.
It is said that if a person wakes up with a roof above his head, some where to sleep and has his provisions for the day then he has all that he needs.
Don't worry everything will work out
Just have faith
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
Hi fellow autistic person! I'm a first class graduate going through similar things. So don't fret if you failed in education, it doesn't stop you from working your way up the job ladder.

That said, you need to identify a genuine interest in some career in order to get started.

I don't feel like I can have a career anymore. I was always told without a degree you're worthless. It's why I've pushed myself through the last few years since leaving school to get to that point only to fail.
Reply 5
Original post by trollface54
Don't worry just pray to God.
Everything is done for a reason.
It is said that if a person wakes up with a roof above his head, some where to sleep and has his provisions for the day then he has all that he needs.
Don't worry everything will work out
Just have faith

:sigh: Weakling.

God helps those who help themselves.
Reply 6
Original post by catman99
Can you not do a higher apprenticeship in your chosen area with your BTEC? Or at least an advanced one.

Tried an apprentiship when I was 19 after failing my extra year of AS levels. Got fired after one week, not through any fault of my own they said they didn't know why they hired me in the first place because they weren't a big enough company to have work for an apprentice too. Plus I'm not being picky or anything, in my position I know I can't afford to be, but you only get like £2 an hour being an apprentice. I'm 23. I can't live off that.
Original post by 41b
:sigh: Weakling.

God helps those who help themselves.

that is not very helpful
Original post by bethcarlo5
I don't feel like I can have a career anymore. I was always told without a degree you're worthless. It's why I've pushed myself through the last few years since leaving school to get to that point only to fail.

Have you thought about the kind of people telling you this? Like, do they all have degrees? Do they never tell you how they made it to their professions? It should have been obvious that the value of the degree is so diluted nowadays, compared to when the previous generation studied at uni, that you seriously can't take degree advice seriously.
I think the sooner you realise you're not suited to a level of study, the more time you'll have to plan your career path and all the alternative options.
Reply 9
xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys. So long story short - I am a failure. At 18, I was diagnosed as autistic after several years of struggling. At this point, I didn't feel ready to go to university and didn't have the grades anyways so went off to college to do more A levels to get my points up. Failed the AS levels as there was just so much going on in my life I had a mental breakdown and honestly the subjects were too difficult for me (two were chosen for me at random with no input from me because my choices were full). Ended up doing a BTEC course which got me enough points to get into uni. However, once I got there I was not getting on well with the course and decided to switch (my biggest regret). This new course was terrible, and I had another bought of bad mental health which ended in me having to suspend the course and restart at year 1 that september (my uni were also messing me around at this time, saying I hadn't put the form in which I had and they had lost it so making me several round trips back there on days where I was struggling to get out of bed). So that came around and I failed the course for various reasons. But my only option then was to withdraw, I couldn't repeat the year because apparently I had already used my "gift year" of student finance because the uni hadn't put in my suspension form for the first year so that had counted as me being there all year and failing. So now, I have no degree and no way of ever studying for one again, no work experience as I was always being pushed into academia, no job prospects other than retail work which I keep getting rejected for and basically wondering if there's any point to my life.

I completely understand that its hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel in your current situation. I come from a family where both of my parents had sticky starts to their lives from about 16+, my mum failed her A Levels then messed up on uni courses, my dad dropped out of school after his mum was diagnosed with cancer. My mum went on to do an apprenticeship type thing and a degree through her chosen career path and my dad is now in the Police as a stable cop. Neither of them thought they'd get anywhere, but they reached a point where they found their ideal jobs. It doesn't come easily to everyone, its utter ******** frankly that people discover their purpose in life at uni. Keep your head held high, don't lose faith and maybe follow some apprenticeship paths? x

I had similar issues and then i found my place working with jewellery and I'm making thousands a year with nothing more than a couple of a-levels it is hard but it is possible to overcome any issue if you want the end goal enough
Reply 12
Thanks guys. My only problem I can see is that most of your stories ended with getting a degree eventually. What do I do when getting a degree is just not an option at all (thanks to the funding mess up and my own intelligence, seriously people with aspergers/autism are supposed to be smart they keep telling me but I'm failing at that too, and it takes a special kind of idiot like me to fail both at being person and being autistic)
Thanks guys. My only problem I can see is that most of your stories ended with getting a degree eventually. What do I do when getting a degree is just not an option at all (thanks to the funding mess up and my own intelligence, seriously people with aspergers/autism are supposed to be smart they keep telling me but I'm failing at that too, and it takes a special kind of idiot like me to fail both at being person and being autistic)

Well then, you learn from the examples of those who didn't get degrees, like that @jamesthehustler user. Some uni dropouts went on to head multi million dollar companies (Richard Branson anyone?), others become famous (like most singers and sports stars)

Quick Reply

Latest