The Student Room Group

Landing a grad scheme with not so relevant internship experience

Hi guys,
I will be going into my final year for BSc Mathematics at the University of Manchester (aiming for a 1st) and so far I had an internship at a local bank in Moldova and a short internship with a technology company in England after my first year. This summer I am completing an internship in the financial department mainly doing risk management and commodities trading in an agribusiness in Moscow. My goal is to work as a trader or in an asset management devision or company. I was wondering if I have any chances if i apply for grad schemes, considering that I don't have a relevant internship in UK and that I also come from Uni of Manchester whcih is obv lower regarded than Oxbridge, Imprial, Lse and so on. I would happily apply for a 2017 summer internship again, but the costs of doing a Master the year after are too high for me. So what do you recommend I do? Thanks!!!
Original post by leagmer
Hi guys,
I will be going into my final year for BSc Mathematics at the University of Manchester (aiming for a 1st) and so far I had an internship at a local bank in Moldova and a short internship with a technology company in England after my first year. This summer I am completing an internship in the financial department mainly doing risk management and commodities trading in an agribusiness in Moscow. My goal is to work as a trader or in an asset management devision or company. I was wondering if I have any chances if i apply for grad schemes, considering that I don't have a relevant internship in UK and that I also come from Uni of Manchester whcih is obv lower regarded than Oxbridge, Imprial, Lse and so on. I would happily apply for a 2017 summer internship again, but the costs of doing a Master the year after are too high for me. So what do you recommend I do? Thanks!!!

You still haven't said what you're applying for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
You still haven't said what you're applying for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Big4s I will be applying for the actuary schemes they have. While for IB I will be applying for securities trading or asset management.
Original post by leagmer
For Big4s I will be applying for the actuary schemes they have. While for IB I will be applying for securities trading or asset management.

Big4 isn't going to be an issue, they don't care too much about past experience plus they hire thousands of grads a year.*

S&T or AM within i-banks, I would highly suggest applying for an internship, especially if most of your apps are are going to be with investment banks. The spaces usually left for grads go to those with direct internship experience or people who have converted to a grad offer but want to switch companies. So stick with off cycle internship and summer internship schemes.

Independent AM and trading houses will probably be fine for you to apply to grad for.
Reply 4
Big4 isn't going to be an issue, they don't care too much about past experience plus they hire thousands of grads a year.*

S&T or AM within i-banks, I would highly suggest applying for an internship, especially if most of your apps are are going to be with investment banks. The spaces usually left for grads go to those with direct internship experience or people who have converted to a grad offer but want to switch companies. So stick with off cycle internship and summer internship schemes.

Independent AM and trading houses will probably be fine for you to apply to grad for.

thanks man, but supposingly I do get a summer internship for S&T or AM. As I have already said doing a master is too expensive for me. As far as I read over the forums, the banks are quite strict now and would only accept me on a summer internship if I am to do a master. So what would I do for the following year after my summer internship?
Original post by leagmer
thanks man, but supposingly I do get a summer internship for S&T or AM. As I have already said doing a master is too expensive for me. As far as I read over the forums, the banks are quite strict now and would only accept me on a summer internship if I am to do a master. So what would I do for the following year after my summer internship?

Depends, most cases I've seen people have been placed into the same year's intake as when they did their internship either directly after or a few months down the line.

Otherwise I guess it would be up to you. Maybe use your internship money to have a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Depends, most cases I've seen people have been placed into the same year's intake as when they did their internship either directly after or a few months down the line.

Otherwise I guess it would be up to you. Maybe use your internship money to have a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks, that's what I will probably do and then work for a year in a financial department somewhere. So should I tell in my application that I will be going to do a master just as a formality ?
I'm doing internship at JPM atm, and there are interns not even in final year but in their 1st master. So I think feel free to apply for internship.
Reply 8
Original post by prettyIBer?
I'm doing internship at JPM atm, and there are interns not even in final year but in their 1st master. So I think feel free to apply for internship.

yeah, you can apply for internships if you finish your 1st year of a master that lasts 1.5-2 years or before the master if it lasts one year
Original post by prettyIBer?

How is your internship at JPM going? Any advice for prospective candidates?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending