The Student Room Group

French mayor bans burkinis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
Yet you can't quote these discussions. All I ever mentioned was that I have lived abroad, as your mother in law does, yet it is a different case for her than it is for me. How come?

Nope you've said more

Do I really have to trawl through your previous posts or will you just be honest?
Original post by BaconandSauce
Nope you've said more

Do I really have to trawl through your previous posts or will you just be honest?

Be my guest.
Original post by WBZ144
Be my guest.

So that's a no you will not just be honest but rather string this out a little more
I get france is angry, but wearing a 'burkini' is just like wearing a long sleeve top and and pants. The face isn't even covered so I don't know why it is called the 'burkini' ... Plus there are people whom are not comfortable showing off their bodies in public shouldn't be forced to. In fact I think western society would benefit from at least trying to be a bit more modest. So, if I were to wear a long sleeved rash guard and swimming leggings, there would be a problem? This ban has just uncovered the meaning of 'freedom' and 'let them just be themselves' and other crap like 'do what you want to do'.
So that's a no you will not just be honest but rather string this out a little more

I would rather not grovel to prove myself to a random Internet persona with obvious racial prejudices and whose opinion is of no value to me. If you think that you have information which "exposes" me as some sort of lesser being then by all means quote it.
Original post by WBZ144
I would rather not grovel to prove myself to a random Internet persona with obvious racial prejudices and whose opinion is of no value to me. If you think that you have information which "exposes" me as some sort of lesser being then by all means quote it.

I'm not asking you to grovel I'm simply trying to understand where your argument comes from. But as immigrant I can see why you argue in favor of immigrants rights over the rights citizens of some countries (as it benefits you over the people who don't want to live In multiple countries but are happy with the country and culture their parents created for them rather than seeking better deals else where (for example Ireland))

and again lesser being is your term not mine
I'm not asking you to grovel I'm simply trying to understand where your argument comes from. But as immigrant I can see why you argue in favor of immigrants rights over the rights citizens of some countries (as it benefits you over the people who don't want to live In multiple countries but are happy with the country and culture their parents created for them rather than seeking better deals else where (for example Ireland))

and again lesser being is your term not mine

You are using the term "immigrant" to silence me because you clearly believe that as a Black person I would see it as an insult (given that you cannot quote or link me to where I claimed to be an immigrant). So if you do not view immigrants as lesser being, you have a funny way of showing it.

Many others on this thread have criticised the ban, you did not play the "you must be an immigrant" card on them. Wonder why...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Edmund Monfort
This is a great decision by those parts of France, I hope it becomes more widespread.

What about the sheitel and the habit?
Original post by WBZ144
You are using the term "immigrant" to silence me because you clearly believe that as a Black person I would see it as an insult (given that you cannot quote or link me to where I claimed to be an immigrant). So if you do not view immigrants as lesser being, you have a funny way of showing it.

Many others on this thread have criticised the ban, you did not play the "you must be an immigrant" card on them. Wonder why...

No I'm not (another lie from you) I'm simply saying as an immigrant your opinion has less relevance than someone born in the country we are talking about and that the opinions of immigrants are irrelevant when talking about national issues such as this(just like I would be an immigrant to France if I went there I would not try and change them to confirm to the standards I have left behind)

once again you try and bring race into this when it's not about race at all I understand it is a card you need to play but here it has little relevance

Honesty while not a trait of the lawyer class is still a requirement in honest discussions (something you sorely lack)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Retropattern
I get france is angry, but wearing a 'burkini' is just like wearing a long sleeve top and and pants. The face isn't even covered so I don't know why it is called the 'burkini' ... Plus there are people whom are not comfortable showing off their bodies in public shouldn't be forced to. In fact I think western society would benefit from at least trying to be a bit more modest.

Laughable.
you implied you were German (I see now to allow you to build your straw man argument)

But again with the attack:biggrin:

You don't know what a strawman fallacy is either, it seems. Perhaps you should be denied the right to decide on domestic affairs until you acquire a basic understanding of the English language, logic, and politics. That seems like a more fair system of discrimination than whatever you're proposing :wink:
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
You don't know what a strawman fallacy is either, it seems. Perhaps you should be denied the right to decide on domestic affairs until you acquire a basic understanding of the English language, logic, and politics. That seems like a more fair system of discrimination than whatever you're proposing :wink:

this has really rattled you hasn't it:biggrin:

funny really
Original post by WBZ144

I'm an immigrant and I criticized the ban.

Honestly, "You must be an immigrant" is an ad hominem. You don't need to even dignify it with an answer. Maybe he said it because you were black. Maybe he said it because you were very vocal. Doesn't matter because it's not a real argument, any more than "You support the ban because you're white" would be a real argument.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I'm an immigrant and I criticized the ban.

Honestly, "You must be an immigrant" is an ad hominem. You don't need to even dignify it with an answer. Maybe he said it because you were black. Maybe he said it because you were very vocal. Doesn't matter because it's not a real argument, any more than "You support the ban because you're white" would be a real argument.

Not my argument though

It's just I know she is and as a result her opinion on french culture and law has little relevance to reality (like mine in that respect given I'm not french and given I don't support the ban either)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Obvious displays of stupidity, bigotry and disingenuity tends to have that effect;

Is that from the French or from me:biggrin:
No I'm not (another lie from you) I'm simply saying as an immigrant your opinion has less relevance than someone born in the country we are talking about and that the opinions of immigrants are irrelevant when talking about national issues such as this(just like I would be an immigrant to France if I went there I would not try and change them to confirm to the standards I have left behind)

once again you try and bring race into this when it's not about race at all I understand it is a card you need to play but here it has little relevance

Honesty while not a trait of the lawyer class is still a requirement in honest discussions (something you sorely lack)

If it's not about race, then why were you calling me an immigrant as an attempt to insult me, despite knowing nothing of my background? You claimed that it was due to previous discussion we've had, while failing to quote any post in which I said I was an immigrant. So if it wasn't about race then what was it? Go on, I'm still waiting.
Original post by WBZ144
If it's not about race, then why were you calling me an immigrant as an attempt to insult me

immigrants come in all colours and I have stated this numerous times.

It seems you want either want the term immigrant associated with just one colour (something I have seen on British First websites as well, so you have that in common with them at least)

and I did not call you an immigrant to insult you (again another lie from you) I said your opinion as an immigrant carries less wait than someone whose country you emigrate to (is this really that hard to understand?)
immigrants come in all colours and I have stated this numerous times.

It seems you want either want the term immigrant associated with just one colour (something I have seen on British First websites as well, so you have that in common with them at least)

and I did not call you an immigrant to insult you (again another lie from you) I said your opinion as an immigrant carries less wait than someone whose country you emigrate to (is this really that hard to understand?)

Don't play naive: non-White British people get called immigrants all the time and are told to "go home" by racists as an attempt at an insult, something that does not happen to White Brits, and something that you are trying to do to me in order to silence me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Don't play naive: non-White British people get called immigrants all the time and are told to "go home" by racists as an attempt at an insult, something that does not happen to White Brits, and something that you are trying to do to me in order to silence me.

ah so you think I'm saying something different to what I am actually saying

then there is no help for you other than to wish you well in your future country hopping
Original post by 1010marina
#triggered

Son, as others have dutifully pointed out on the thread, supporting nudity and supporting the public wearing of religious dress go hand in hand. If nudity or even scantily clad people offend you because it is "immoral", then you must concede the point that other people can view the burkini or burka as immoral too - if not, you are placing your specific religious beliefs above anybody else's. Freedom, as many people have pointed out, does not work one way only.

That's quite interesting. I'm actually going to deflect your comments about my supposed terrorist nature with a quote from the Kyrgyz president:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-36846249
Enjoy

You can still cover yourself up. Don't get hysterical. There are other options out there. Just don't throw your religion in the face of the world's media. I've asked plenty of times on this thread for reasons to be selective about the burkini vs other styles and never got an answer so I refuse to accept that you have to leave the beach if you cannot wear a burkini.

Throwing low jabs calling people cretins and terrorists just shows that you cannot handle civil debate about something. You care so much about it that is has made you angry. You would rather insult people with opposing views than speak to them. If you don't see the irony here, perhaps you should take a few steps back away from the keyboard... lol.

The French courts have upheld the ban, anyway (though there is plans for an appeal). The BBC said "The judge noted the ban came "in the context of the state of emergency and recent Islamist attacks, notably in Nice a month ago"." There is also a French law that is used to defend it. Since July, nobody has been apprehended for wearing one, so either people have found other beaches to go to or other ways to cover up.

Son? how dare thee...... :wink:

OK, I get where you're coming from, yes there are variations of clothing found which can be worn hat covers the body. But my point is allow the CHOICE, don't fob it off as it's all forced as a ban is also forcing them NOT to wear it. Some say it's religious attire it's not. It's cultural [or nothing to do with it but wanting not to expose skin for personal choice, maybe they have eczema.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending