The Student Room Group

Should I do A Level Chemistry after Sixth Form?

I've just finished Year 12 and will soon be starting 13.
I am interested in doing a science degree. I only study Biology. I did want to do Chemistry but heard it was very hard and mathematical so I ended up not doing.

I regret it now because most (of the good) science degrees either require Biology and Chemistry, or Biology and another science.

Should I finish Sixth Form and then go and do an A Level at a College before going to university? Or do them online?
Or should I just apply for a degree for which I only need Biology?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maggiedavies
I've just finished Year 12 and will soon be starting 13.
I am interested in doing a science degree. I only study Biology. I did want to do Chemistry but heard it was very hard and mathematical so I ended up not doing.

I regret it now because most (of the good) science degrees either require Biology and Chemistry, or Biology and another science.

Should I finish Sixth Form and then go and do an A Level at a College before going to university? Or do them online?
Or should I just apply for a degree for which I only need Biology?

Whoever said AS Chemistry was "mathematical" is clearly delusional. The maths standard at AS Chemistry is mostly of a B grade GCSE level.

I would suggest doing A Level Chemistry. You can't really be a proficient biologist without having some good knowledge of chemistry - and most of the uni students will have it to at least AS level.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Whoever said AS Chemistry was "mathematical" is clearly delusional. The maths standard at AS Chemistry is mostly of a B grade GCSE level.

I would suggest doing A Level Chemistry. You can't really be a proficient biologist without having some good knowledge of chemistry - and most of the uni students will have it to at least AS level.

Thanks. And I only got a C in GCSE Maths.
I only got accepted onto A Level Biology because I got an A at GCSE.
Definitey do a level chemistry. If you're about to go into year 13, maybe ask your school if you can pick up the AS chemistry. That way, you might still have some options if you do want to apply this year.
Original post by UnknownAnon
Definitey do a level chemistry. If you're about to go into year 13, maybe ask your school if you can pick up the AS chemistry. That way, you might still have some options if you do want to apply this year.

The Chem teachers in my school aren't that great tbh. I think I'd rather go privately.

Thanks! :smile:
The Chem teachers in my school aren't that great tbh. I think I'd rather go privately.

Thanks! :smile:

Then maybe go privately this year? For instance, hire a tutor or self learn, and ask if you can sit the chemistry exams as an external student.
Thanks. And I only got a C in GCSE Maths.
I only got accepted onto A Level Biology because I got an A at GCSE.

The maths in chemistry is just rearranging equations, converting between units and using ratios. It's fairly similar to A level biology

Use exam solutions/physics and maths tutor/ hegarty maths/ Corbettmaths if you need help with it.
Original post by UnknownAnon
Then maybe go privately this year? For instance, hire a tutor or self learn, and ask if you can sit the chemistry exams as an external student.

It's a possibility ... thanks!
The maths in chemistry is just rearranging equations, converting between units and using ratios. It's fairly similar to A level biology

Use exam solutions/physics and maths tutor/ hegarty maths/ Corbettmaths if you need help with it.

Yeah I assumed the same after looking through the new & old specs and past papers; but I've heard otherwise - I guess they're just rumours.

I can do the math in Bio pretty easily because it's merely a case of just learning the formulas and doing enough practice questions.
Yeah I assumed the same after looking through the new & old specs and past papers; but I've heard otherwise - I guess they're just rumours.

I can do the math in Bio pretty easily because it's merely a case of just learning the formulas and doing enough practice questions.

Well, just do what you do in bio and apply it to chemistry and you should be fine.
Well, just do what you do in bio and apply it to chemistry and you should be fine.

Thanks for your help.

Alternatively, what do you think of doing a Foundation year? Is that just the same?
Thanks for your help.

Alternatively, what do you think of doing a Foundation year? Is that just the same?

I don't recommend it. It would've been suitable if you took no science A levels, but since you took bio, it's better not to do it. It would cost you £9,000 and will be a recap of A level chemistry and biology, so a large chunk of what would be taught would already be familiar to you; Thus making it impractical.

Do the chemistry course at a college, or just self-study it yourself and you'll be fine. Plus, you'll only be studying one a level, so you'd have lots of free time - which perhaps could be used for extracurriculars to bolster your application.

If you COULD find a strong uni that doesn't require two science a levels, then try there, though I'm certain it'll be very difficult.
I don't recommend it. It would've been suitable if you took no science A levels, but since you took bio, it's better not to do it. It would cost you £9,000 and will be a recap of A level chemistry and biology, so a large chunk of what would be taught would already be familiar to you; Thus making it impractical.

Do the chemistry course at a college, or just self-study it yourself and you'll be fine. Plus, you'll only be studying one a level, so you'd have lots of free time - which perhaps could be used for extracurriculars to bolster your application.

If you COULD find a strong uni that doesn't require two science a levels, then try there, though I'm certain it'll be very difficult.

Ah I see!

The only decent uni that fits my circumstance is Warwick Biomedical Science;
asking for AAB if only Bio is offered, or ABB if Bio & another Science are offered.
Ah I see!

The only decent uni that fits my circumstance is Warwick Biomedical Science;
asking for AAB if only Bio is offered, or ABB if Bio & another Science are offered.

Hmm, try there and see what happens. If you get an offer you might not need to do the chemistry (though you'll undoubtedly cover it at uni anyway).
Thanks for your help.

My physics teacher did a foundation year obviously in physics. He said it was the best decision he took simply because the fact that in his first year of his degree he was infront of everyone, knowing all the equations etc etc.

Hope this helps 😊
Original post by Billyboy2016
My physics teacher did a foundation year obviously in physics. He said it was the best decision he took simply because the fact that in his first year of his degree he was infront of everyone, knowing all the equations etc etc.

Hope this helps 😊

Yeah I've heard good things about foundation years.
Do you know how competitive they are at all?
Yeah I've heard good things about foundation years.
Do you know how competitive they are at all?

No I'm currently stressing about my as results lol😖😖
No I'm currently stressing about my as results lol😖😖

I'm awaiting mine as well. What subjects have you done and what grades do you think you'll get?
I'm awaiting mine as well. What subjects have you done and what grades do you think you'll get?

Bio,chem,geo&it
ACCC By pushing it you?
Bio,chem,geo&it
ACCC By pushing it you?

Bio - I want a B but would take a C
English Lit - Same as above
ICT - Want an A but would take a B.

Quick Reply

Latest