The Student Room Group

US election: Donald Trump to call for 'testing' immigrants.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37086578

US Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is set to outline his plan to fight "radical Islamic terrorism" in a major policy speech.
The plan includes suspending visas from countries with ties to terrorism and an ideological test for those applying to enter the US.
Mr Trump will also pledge to work with nations willing to help the US defeat the so-called Islamic State (IS).

Lol. Someone explain to me how this is "Islamophobic"/"xenophobic"?!

So instead of having this "open-door" policy Clinton wants, the US will control those coming from countries in the Middle-East where, unfortunately, is the hub of global terrorism.

The ideological tests could come handy too.

Honestly Trump's campaign have got this right.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure why Trump's priority is tackling 'radical Islam' when the majority of shootings in the USA are done by domestic Americans. This entire section of his campaign against 'radical Islam' is pretty much him trying to win over the vote of the southern-state Americans who are inherently racist or otherwise hateful towards other cultures / religions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alevelstresss
I'm not sure why Trump's priority is tackling 'radical Islam' when the majority of shootings in the USA are done by white males. This entire section of his campaign against 'radical Islam' is pretty much him trying to win over the vote of the southern-state Americans who are inherently racist or otherwise hateful towards other cultures / religions.

Gun crime might be a massive ordeal in mainland USA, but radical Islamic terrorism affects us all, globally. Is policies should be used across Europe.
I'm not sure why Trump's priority is tackling 'radical Islam' when the majority of shootings in the USA are done by white males.

They don't need to add to their problems. One only has to look at mainland Europe to see what too many migrants from islamic countries can do to a place.

Good for Trump, I say.
Original post by Dodgypirate
Gun crime might be a massive ordeal in mainland USA, but radical Islamic terrorism affects us all, globally. Is policies should be used across Europe.

So we have isolationist, 'America First' Donald Trump who suddenly cares about radical Islam affecting non-American countries? That is contradictory.

Donald Trump is targeting radical Islam because he knows that a hatred for foreign cultures/religions plays well with the racist/hateful southern-state Americans who feel left behind by globalisation.
Original post by MildredMalone
They don't need to add to their problems. One only has to look at mainland Europe to see what too many migrants from islamic countries can do to a place.

Good for Trump, I say.

Regardless of whether your hypothesis about Islamic immigration causing problems is true or not, the problem of gun violence and mass shootings is massively more common than attacks purported to be in the name of IS or other terror groups.

Its quite evident that Trump is focusing on the foreign cultures as a source of the problem because it taps into the racist roots of many Americans who have lost their industry and pride to the USA investing in China and India or other lower minimum wage countries.
Regardless of whether your hypothesis about Islamic immigration causing problems is true or not, the problem of gun violence and mass shootings is massively more common than attacks purported to be in the name of IS or other terror groups.

Because the muslim population of the USA is a)smaller and b)more civilised than in Europe, because of what's required for citizenship. If they bring in enough muslims, they will face the same problems as Europe.

Its quite evident that Trump is focusing on the foreign cultures as a source of the problem because it taps into the racist roots of many Americans who have lost their industry and pride to the USA investing in China and India or other lower minimum wage countries.

If that's what it takes to deliver the message, then fine.
Because the muslim population of the USA is a)smaller and b)more civilised than in Europe, because of what's required for citizenship. If they bring in enough muslims, they will face the same problems as Europe.

If that's what it takes to deliver the message, then fine.

You have no realistic clue about how 'civilised' a Muslim community is, other than some tabloid headlines which are subject to manipulation.
Original post by Dodgypirate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37086578

US Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is set to outline his plan to fight "radical Islamic terrorism" in a major policy speech.
The plan includes suspending visas from countries with ties to terrorism and an ideological test for those applying to enter the US.
Mr Trump will also pledge to work with nations willing to help the US defeat the so-called Islamic State (IS).

Lol. Someone explain to me how this is "Islamophobic"/"xenophobic"?!

So instead of having this "open-door" policy Clinton wants, the US will control those coming from countries in the Middle-East where, unfortunately, is the hub of global terrorism.

The ideological tests could come handy too.

Honestly Trump's campaign have got this right.

All countries should do what it can to improve the quality of people they let into their countries for their given aims.

That's going to include things like passing tests and thresholds

Posted from TSR Mobile
For once, I think Trump has come up with a good idea.
You have no realistic clue about how 'civilised' a Muslim community is, other than some tabloid headlines which are subject to manipulation.

I read past the headline thanks xx
I read past the headline thanks xx

And I suppose you believed every word without referring explicitly to the sources used? Assuming a source was actually used by the tabloid.
And I suppose you believed every word without referring explicitly to the sources used? Assuming a source was actually used by the tabloid.

Makes more sense than just assuming they're lying.
Makes more sense than just assuming they're lying.

No one's assuming they're lying, I am just trying to emphasise being critical of great claims that appear on tabloid newspapers, intended to make lots of money, which are borderline unheard of on any mainstream, non-profit news sources.
Much as I disagree with Trump, it's a good idea. We should do it too.
Funny how Trump has so many similar views to extreme muslims (in regards to women and LGBT+ people especially), he'd probably fail a test like this. And any possible questions will probably get false answers, like if you're in a job interview and get asked whether you're good with people, any sane person would just say yes, even if they aren't. You deal with possible terrorists by doing background checks on why they're coming into the country and whether they have any links to terrorism, as this means normal people wont need to be subjected to stupid tests whenever they travel to the US.

This is a slight improvement to the 'shutdown of muslims entering the United States' as it suggests some actual policies, something Trump seemingly never supplies, but it's still far from perfect.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Much as I disagree with Trump, it's a good idea. We should do it too.

I don't understand why you are against him, you often make comments that I agree with across many topics, which would represent that we have broad similar views, yet we differ here.
I hate to say this, but this may actually be a good idea.
Reply 18
I'm not sure why Trump's priority is tackling 'radical Islam' when the majority of shootings in the USA are done by white males. This entire section of his campaign against 'radical Islam' is pretty much him trying to win over the vote of the southern-state Americans who are inherently racist or otherwise hateful towards other cultures / religions.

No.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded/expanded-homicide-data

Of the offenders for whom race was known, 52.4 percent were black, 45.2 percent were white, and 2.4 percent were of other races. The race was unknown for 4,077 offenders.

Change the word to 'domestic Americans' and I'll throw it right back at you.

Domestic shootings are a far greater threat than 'radical Islam'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending