The Student Room Group

Resit help

If a coursework resit is capped at mark 40, but my overall grade is close to a pass, will a mark below 40 still go towards my overall grade and therefore allow me to pass overall a receive credits?
Depends on the rules for your university and course. Some you only need to get an overall pass mark on the module, others you have to pass each individual assessment.
Original post by Holdaboss
If a coursework resit is capped at mark 40, but my overall grade is close to a pass, will a mark below 40 still go towards my overall grade and therefore allow me to pass overall a receive credits?

Check with your uni. If they have not given you the answer in instructions for the resit, it will be in your 'handbook' somewhere which outlines the resit process and other things.

For example, at my university your first mark sticks (even if you beat it in the resit) and 70 is a pass mark in the resit, but, doesn't increase your grade, you just recieve the credits in order to progress.
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
Check with your uni. If they have not given you the answer in instructions for the resit, it will be in your 'handbook' somewhere which outlines the resit process and other things.

For example, at my university your first mark sticks (even if you beat it in the resit) and 70 is a pass mark in the resit, but, doesn't increase your grade, you just recieve the credits in order to progress.

I checked the handbook and there's no answer. All I know is that the resit is 'capped at 40' so I guess this means I can get a mark lower than 40 and it still goes towards the total average.

Basically I failed to submit the coursework so received a mark of 0, however in the exam I performed well so my overall mark is a 34 percent average. So say if I got a mark of 30 in the resit, technically I'd pass overall.

In your honest opinion what do you think they'll do?
Reply 4
Original post by magratgarlick
Depends on the rules for your university and course. Some you only need to get an overall pass mark on the module, others you have to pass each individual assessment.

You need to just pass overall.
Original post by Holdaboss
I checked the handbook and there's no answer. All I know is that the resit is 'capped at 40' so I guess this means I can get a mark lower than 40 and it still goes towards the total average.

Basically I failed to submit the coursework so received a mark of 0, however in the exam I performed well so my overall mark is a 34 percent average. So say if I got a mark of 30 in the resit, technically I'd pass overall.

In your honest opinion what do you think they'll do?

Ohh sorry, I see what you're asking now.

Again, uni-specific, but some unis have requirements to pass individual components - others do not. I'm not sure how this applies to resits though. I don't know though, and can't really guess, so sorry :redface: good luck though.
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
Ohh sorry, I see what you're asking now.

Again, uni-specific, but some unis have requirements to pass individual components - others do not. I'm not sure how this applies to resits though. I don't know though, and can't really guess, so sorry :redface: good luck though.

I know normally you just need to pass the module overall at my uni. Surely if they say 'capped at 40' that means I can get a mark lower than 40 right?
Usually a module mark is the overall mark, but nobody can say without knowing the rules for your uni.

Capped at 40 means you cannot get a mark more than 40 on the resit assessment, but it doesn't say anything about how the final mark for the module is calculated. If the final module mark is normally the average of the 2 assessment marks then it probably still will be. But if you have to get a pass for each component assessment then a 30 is no good. You need to look at how the module result is determined
Reply 8
Original post by magratgarlick
Usually a module mark is the overall mark, but nobody can say without knowing the rules for your uni.

Capped at 40 means you cannot get a mark more than 40 on the resit assessment, but it doesn't say anything about how the final mark for the module is calculated. If the final module mark is normally the average of the 2 assessment marks then it probably still will be. But if you have to get a pass for each component assessment then a 30 is no good. You need to look at how the module result is determined

Yeah as I said above, it's just the average that matters. So I'm guessing it should be fine then right? Because surely they'd make this clear in the resit guidelines.

Thanks guys.
Oops - sorry. Missed your reply. If it is the average then you're fine yes :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending