The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should abortions be free?

Scroll to see replies

And your source is?
Original post by AngryRedhead
The statistics support my statement, not yours, I'm afraid

Only 7.1% of abortions happen due to valid reasons (i.e: rape, fetal and maternal health concerns)

The rest is people being stupid

A doctor must approve any abortion that goes ahead on the NHS. Therefore, any reason is valid. It is not your place to decide what is and isn't a valid reason for abortion. That graph doesn't consider that women could lie in cases of rape and incest either.
Original post by AngryRedhead
Disregarding the whole ethical side of abortion for now, I think that yes, in the cases of incest, rape and extreme disability or if the mothers life is in danger by the fetus yes abortion should be free as long as there is sufficient medical and legal evidence that the above situations have happened. If contraception fails the abortion should be free as long as the relevant physical evidence can be supplied.

If a student is out drinking and is stupid enough to engage in sex without protection or is not intelligent enough to know how to use a condom correctly I fail to see why the taxpayer should be penalised for one persons stupidity. Would you as a private individual be happy with being obliged to pay for someone else's abortion when you haven't done anything wrong? Probably not

Yes, because it's a necessary part of life. If someone is playing with a lighter, and accidentally sets their house on fire, should taxpayer money be used to send out the fire service? Of course it should; it was their mistake, but we all pay into the system, and we all benefit from it. Some people eat or drink excessively, meaning they need treatment on the NHS - of course that should be free, because we all pay taxes, but we also all benefit. Arguably, funding abortions benefits the taxpayer more than providing treatment for the over-eater, because the cost of abortion is cheaper than even if the parents raise the child, because otherwise tax-funded child support must be paid.
Reply 24
Should we stop paying for smokers who have lung cancer?
No it shouldn't, some ignorant people will just use it as another contraceptive method as opposed to something which should only be done as an absolute last resort
Original post by PurplePixie96
A doctor must approve any abortion that goes ahead on the NHS. Therefore, any reason is valid. It is not your place to decide what is and isn't a valid reason for abortion. That graph doesn't consider that women could lie in cases of rape and incest either.

So what if a doctor approved mass genocide of native americans? Doctors aren't the be all and end all and shouldn't have the right to choose when to end life. If I as a taxpayer am paying for something I don't agree with I think I should have a say in how my own money is spent, don't you?
Yes. Rather we fund abortions than:

a) Force these people to go through with pregnancy who can't afford it.
b) Then end up with children who are shoves straight into care as they're not wantted, and;
C) Finally end up with needing to pump more money into the social services system to look after all of these unwanted pregnancies that these women couldn't afford to abort.

The reason for 2 consenting adults having sex is no-one's business and nor is it any business as to why someone wants an abortion, even if the reason is a *****y one. I am very, very happy for the taxpayer to continue funding this and those of you who have this deluded idea that any form of contraception is 100% effective so that anyone who is pregnant "was basically asking for it" need to wake up and look at the real world.

But I mean sure why not let's just go and follow the ****ed up american system where getting an abortion is nearby impossible and expensive, because clearly /they/ are doing it right.
Um.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever encountered on this forum in my life.

Doctors having an opinion on abortion; a medical issue, VS doctors having opinion on genocide are two radically different things.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Yes, because it's a necessary part of life. If someone is playing with a lighter, and accidentally sets their house on fire, should taxpayer money be used to send out the fire service? Of course it should; it was their mistake, but we all pay into the system, and we all benefit from it. Some people eat or drink excessively, meaning they need treatment on the NHS - of course that should be free, because we all pay taxes, but we also all benefit. Arguably, funding abortions benefits the taxpayer more than providing treatment for the over-eater, because the cost of abortion is cheaper than even if the parents raise the child, because otherwise tax-funded child support must be paid.

We don't know for certain if it would work out cheaper in the long run though because eventually people would realise that they had to foot the bill for abortion and people would be more careful with contraception which would bring down the rates of unwanted pregnancies dramatically thus also reducing the amount of unwanted children
Abortions should be free because we cannot tell personal reasons and circumstances why a person may get an abortion.Child care would cost a lot more in the long run as NHS would have to fund for the healthcare of the baby for it's entire life. If abortion is to cost money in the future there would be a lot more teenage pregnancies which could potentially lead to a whole new problem for our country as it would increase the percentage of unemployed woman, which means weak economy which also means lower funds of NHS.

Lastly, it is better to teach safe sex (eg contraception) to the younger generation to decrease the numbers of abortions in future instead of focusing on whether abortions should be free or not. This would significantly decrease the amount of funds NHS would have to spend on abortions.
Original post by Inexorably
Um.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever encountered on this forum on my life.

Doctors having an opinion on abortion; a medical issue, VS doctors having opinion on genocide are two radically different things.

How stupid do you have to be to to try and use this line of reasoning?

Just stupid enough to believe that all human life is equal :h:
Original post by Inexorably
Um.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever encountered on this forum on my life.

How stupid do you have to be to to try and use this line of reasoning?

THIS. The fact that this comparison was made shows how weak the point was.
Original post by Josb
Should we stop paying for smokers who have lung cancer?

No because sometimes cancer isn't preventable. Having a child is totally preventable
Abortions are a complex issue.
Original post by Tiger Rag
So, if someone finds out part way through their pregancy that they're going to have a seriously disabled baby, they should be penalised for that?

Your solution is to penalise the baby by aborting it for being disabled?

Bizarre.
Original post by Tiger Rag
So, if someone finds out part way through their pregancy that they're going to have a seriously disabled baby, they should be penalised for that?

This is only the case in 2% of abortions where the child will be handicapped
Original post by Supersaps
Your solution is to penalise the baby by aborting it for being disabled?

Bizarre.

eh? No, I'd rather not bring a disabled child into the world. Is there anything seriously wrong with that?
pro-lifers arguments are so weak. if abortion is illegal, women will STILL seek abortion, just through less safe methods. if abortion isn't free, women will STILL seek abortion, through less expensive and less safe methods.

having a child is not always preventable. what about women who received a bad sex education and don't understand the importance of condoms/other birth control? what about women who get raped? what about when a condom fails to work or breaks? what if a woman was in a healthy relationship when she got pregnant, but soon found herself alone and short of money/support?

there are so many more situations when an abortion is valid than not.
Yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending