The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Who's on their way to Reading?

Hiya Everyone!!

I've got a place on the Art and Film & Theatre for 2016, staying in Windsor Hall.

Who else is going and what are you doing?!

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I am going to study International Relations and Economics. I still need to apply for accommodation, I got in by early clearing
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Congratulations to both of you :smile:

If you have any questions please feel free to get in touch!

Mark
2nd Year Accounting and Management
Original post by UniofReading
Congratulations to both of you :smile:

If you have any questions please feel free to get in touch!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I just wanted to know if Reading are lenient when it comes to grades. I think I may be 1 grade below my entry requirements and I'm really nervous.
Just got my unconditional off from reading today to study psychology 🎉🎉
Original post by antoniamontana
Hi Mark,

I just wanted to know if Reading are lenient when it comes to grades. I think I may be 1 grade below my entry requirements and I'm really nervous.

Hi antoniamontana,
It really can depend on whether the particular programme you have applied for has been oversubscribed or undersubscribed as each programme are limited to the number of places the university can offer.

Admissions will factor all elements of your UCAS application including your Personal Statement and references. Try not to think about it too much as painstaking as that may be! Also, do check the UCAS clearing page to see if the university has your course on clearing and be prepared to call on the 18th if you do miss the grades you needed to get onto the course.

Very best of luck to you for Thursday's results :smile:

Mark
Hi antoniamontana,
It really can depend on whether the particular programme you have applied for has been oversubscribed or undersubscribed as each programme are limited to the number of places the university can offer.

Admissions will factor all elements of your UCAS application including your Personal Statement and references. Try not to think about it too much as painstaking as that may be! Also, do check the UCAS clearing page to see if the university has your course on clearing and be prepared to call on the 18th if you do miss the grades you needed to get onto the course.

Very best of luck to you for Thursday's results :smile:

Mark

Can you tell me which is the best accommodation in Reading? I was thinking about an En-suite on but Reading is quite pricey
Got an unconditional offer for pharmacy at Reading.
Original post by Victoriadare
Can you tell me which is the best accommodation in Reading? I was thinking about an En-suite on but Reading is quite pricey

Hi Victoriadare,

It really does depend on your personal preferences in terms of what you want. It's certainly worth considering:

i. Your budget (Halls vary from £95/pw - 160pw+)
ii. Do you need an ensuite; Though it's nice to have; from personal experience it wasn't a necessity for me - some halls you may have to share with 4 other people; others may be with just 1 other person. I had friends that lived in Windsor sharing with several students and not experienced any issues (and their bathroom was cleaned by a cleaner).
iii. Where will you mainly be based? (Although lectures and seminars could be dotted around campus; if you were doing something such as Law which is predominently taught at Foxhill House, it may not be wise to pick Bridges Hall which is on the other-side of campus whilst Childs Halls is directly opposite the Law building.

All Halls are sociable and each have their own character and does depend if you want to live in a flat of 6-12 people or a corridor of 18-24 people.

I was in Sherfield Halls (Ensuite, Self Catered) which is directly adjacent from the Main campus, lived with 7 others and the atmosphere was lively. For me other perks was extremely close to Sportspark, Bus Stop into town, Greggs and a Cash Point.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any further questions :smile:

Mark
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Victoriadare,

It really does depend on your personal preferences in terms of what you want. It's certainly worth considering:

i. Your budget (Halls vary from £95/pw - 160pw+)
ii. Do you need an ensuite; Though it's nice to have; from personal experience it wasn't a necessity for me - some halls you may have to share with 4 other people; others may be with just 1 other person. I had friends live in Windsor sharing with several students and not experienced any issues (and their bathroom was cleaned by a cleaner).
iii. Where will you mainly be based? (Although lectures and seminars could be dotted around campus; if you were doing something such as Law which is predominently taught at Foxhill House, it may not be wise to pick Bridges Hall which is on the other-side of campus whilst Childs Halls is directly opposite the Law building.

All Halls are sociable and each have their own character and does depend if you want to live in a flat of 6-12 people or a corridor of 18-24 people.

I was in Sherfield Halls (Ensuite, Self Catered) which is directly adjacent from the Main campus, lived with 7 others and the atmosphere was lively. For me other perks was extremely close to Sportspark, Bus Stop into town, Greggs and a Cash Point.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any further questions :smile:

Mark

Aah thank so much you for your answer :smile: I am still not sure, but we will see.. ha
May I asked how the night life is in Reading and in terms of societies would you recommend any?
I am sorry if I am annoying you, I am just soooooo excited! Counting the days for Uni to start. I am German and moving countries.. That's the reason I would like to know everything! Sorry, for that..
I searched on Facebook but I really could not find anyone to talk to.
Original post by Victoriadare
Aah thank so much you for your answer :smile: I am still not sure, but we will see.. ha
May I asked how the night life is in Reading and in terms of societies would you recommend any?
I am sorry if I am annoying you, I am just soooooo excited! Counting the days for Uni to start. I am German and moving countries.. That's the reason I would like to know everything! Sorry, for that..
I searched on Facebook but I really could not find anyone to talk to.

It's a big decision to make and can be harder when the university provides so many options :biggrin:

The Nightlife is great there is a event hosted nightly (apart from Sundays) at one of the main venues. Plus the student union hosts 2 club nights (Wednesday and Saturday) on campus which are very popular; in essence it does become the biggest club in Reading. We're also 25 minutes away by train into central London if you wanted to venture out into the big city (trains run very late and start up again relatively early if you are feeling adventurous).

In terms of societies, it really does depend on your personal interests, my advice is to certainly join your academic society. It's worth browsing the RUSU societies page to see if anything catches your eye - https://www.rusu.co.uk/activities - I'm joining Archery this year as it's something different and it's something i've not done before but there are over 150 societies to pick from the conventional ones to the more 'unique' societies.

We have the Societies Freshers Fayre on September 21st (11-4pm) and the Sports Freshers Fayre September 22nd (11-4pm) so it's worth going to those events as part of your Freshers Week programme.

Mark :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello Mark!

I wasn't exactly sure if this is the right place to ask my question.

I was wondering if the University of Reading has any track fields? If not, is there a nearby place with a track field?

Thank you!
Original post by FaisalFaze
Hello Mark!

I wasn't exactly sure if this is the right place to ask my question.

I was wondering if the University of Reading has any track fields? If not, is there a nearby place with a track field?

Thank you!

Hi FaisalFaze,
Thanks for reaching out! :smile:

Unfortunately, we don't have a designated track field on our main campus. However, there is a society called Knights Athletics that meet regularly for track and field activities and socials (https://www.rusu.co.uk/sports/AthleticsRUAC/) If you drop them an e-mail they may be able to advise you further where exactly they train.

I hope this helps :smile:

Mark
Reply 13
Is there any group chats for students that are going this year? :biggrin: Im doing Psy Bsc :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jsantos
Is there any group chats for students that are going this year? :biggrin: Im doing Psy Bsc :biggrin:
i

Same!!! Got an unconditional offer for psychology. You still waiting for results?
Hi FaisalFaze,
Thanks for reaching out! :smile:

Unfortunately, we don't have a designated track field on our main campus. However, there is a society called Knights Athletics that meet regularly for track and field activities and socials (https://www.rusu.co.uk/sports/AthleticsRUAC/) If you drop them an e-mail they may be able to advise you further where exactly they train.

I hope this helps :smile:

Mark

Hey mark,
So how do insurance students go about applying for accommodation??
Original post by gilberta
Just got my unconditional off from reading today to study psychology 🎉🎉

Me too, I'm the doing the professional placement course, I got the email on Sunday :biggrin:
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
Me too, I'm the doing the professional placement course, I got the email on Sunday :biggrin:

I'm just doing the normal route but hoping to go abroad in the final year
Hey mark,
So how do insurance students go about applying for accommodation??

Hi gilberta,
You will be able to apply for accommodation on the RISISweb Portal from Thursday morning :smile:

Kind Regards,
Mark
Reply 19
i

Same!!! Got an unconditional offer for psychology. You still waiting for results?

Nah i actually was one of the ones that got emailed by accident. Lucky i guess haha i think most Psy students did

Quick Reply