The Student Room Group

Is it right for us?

Me and my girlfriend have been together for over a year now. Before I met her me and my friend had planned to go travelling together for 3/4 months following graduation (I have now graduated so will be leaving soon). We've been semi long distance for that time (1hr and bit's drive away), so have been seeing each other for weekends and had an amazing time with her. I'm early 20s btw.

She recently went away for a month and we had a big fallout due to lack of communication over what I wanted to do when I got back from travelling (i'm at that stage of life where I have no idea what to do at all and everything seems like and option). It almost came to the end of our relationship as a result, but we are still together now and we resolved the matter. I will be coming back in the new year and potentially living close to her.

Everyone i've spoken to has said that it's not that long a time, and that I shouldn't worry but... i'm literally riddled with fear over what's going to happen, I'm mainly scared of hurting her if things don't work out, OR it falling apart when i'm out there. I love her to pieces, she is utterly amazing and I know she loves me too. The only time we ever fall out is over me going away. I don't want to end things with her, but I feel so trapped I don't know what to do about it all.

We were so ready to do this up until the aforementioned argument and now I'm just worried all the time.

It's almost starting to make me resent the fact i'm going away, if it hadn't been planned before I met her I probably wouldn't be doing it right now and would probably have waited a while.

I've thought about other options, for example putting our relationship on hold when i'm away. But I really feel that's a massive "FU" to her and I really don't want to hurt her. I don't know what to do.

I guess I'm writing here so someone with experience in this can shine a little light on the situation, as I don't know anyone who has ever been in this situation. I feel like it should be easy to work this out, but i'm crippled with worry about everything, i can't think about anything else. Any advice would be great.

Edit: Apologies, never clarified that the question "is it right for us" refers to being in a long distance relationship
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ee12fbd
Me and my girlfriend have been together for over a year now. Before I met her me and my friend had planned to go travelling together for 3/4 months following graduation (I have now graduated so will be leaving soon). We've been semi long distance for that time (1hr and bit's drive away), so have been seeing each other for weekends and had an amazing time with her. I'm early 20s btw.

She recently went away for a month and we had a big fallout due to lack of communication over what I wanted to do when I got back from travelling (i'm at that stage of life where I have no idea what to do at all and everything seems like and option). It almost came to the end of our relationship as a result, but we are still together now and we resolved the matter. I will be coming back in the new year and potentially living close to her.

Everyone i've spoken to has said that it's not that long a time, and that I shouldn't worry but... i'm literally riddled with fear over what's going to happen, I'm mainly scared of hurting her if things don't work out, OR it falling apart when i'm out there. I love her to pieces, she is utterly amazing and I know she loves me too. The only time we ever fall out is over me going away. I don't want to end things with her, but I feel so trapped I don't know what to do about it all.

We were so ready to do this up until the aforementioned argument and now I'm just worried all the time.

It's almost starting to make me resent the fact i'm going away, if it hadn't been planned before I met her I probably wouldn't be doing it right now and would probably have waited a while.

I've thought about other options, for example putting our relationship on hold when i'm away. But I really feel that's a massive "FU" to her and I really don't want to hurt her. I don't know what to do.

I guess I'm writing here so someone with experience in this can shine a little light on the situation, as I don't know anyone who has ever been in this situation. I feel like it should be easy to work this out, but i'm crippled with worry about everything, i can't think about anything else. Any advice would be great.

Edit: Apologies, never clarified that the question "is it right for us" refers to being in a long distance relationship

Oh boo hoo I've been in long distance relationship for 6 months before they finally come to UK. Just to regular video calls, texting etc.
Original post by ee12fbd

Have you actually asked her how she'd feel about having a break?
I don't understand what the actual issue is. Is it what's going to happen when you get back or not knowing how to communicate whilst you're away?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending