The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship regrets

For curiosity's sake, has anyone undertaken an apprenticeship (preferably straight from school) and regretted it?

Scroll to see replies

And has anyone done an apprenticeship but found that it hampered their chances of university? (Sorry if this in the wrong section)
Why would it stop you going to university? If you've attained relevant qualifications at a sufficient level, then how can it stop you?
Original post by Donkey******
Why would it stop you going to university? If you've attained relevant qualifications at a sufficient level, then how can it stop you?

I don't know really, maybe if some of the unis want additional A-levels or anything like that
Me!!

I didn't like the college I went to so I went back to sixth form at my school. But then realised in the December that it was A-levels that I didn't like and because I'd obviously missed college intake the only way to get out of it was an apprenticeship.

I took an apprenticeship in financial admin this January and I hated every minute of it. As soon as I started I planned in leaving so I started applying to colleges again to do BTEC Civil engineering and A-level maths (I've got in for this September, thank God). But I couldn't quit straight away A, because I needed the money I was earning at the time and B, you obviously have to be in education until your 18. So, after 7 painful months I quit at the end of June! Yay. Never ever again.
Original post by amingo26
Me!!

I didn't like the college I went to so I went back to sixth form at my school. But then realised in the December that it was A-levels that I didn't like and because I'd obviously missed college intake the only way to get out of it was an apprenticeship.

I took an apprenticeship in financial admin this January and I hated every minute of it. As soon as I started I planned in leaving so I started applying to colleges again to do BTEC Civil engineering and A-level maths (I've got in for this September, thank God). But I couldn't quit straight away A, because I needed the money I was earning at the time and B, you obviously have to be in education until your 18. So, after 7 painful months I quit at the end of June! Yay. Never ever again.

That's interesting! How come you've gone from financial admin to civil engineering (if you don't mind me asking)? Are you hoping to go to university? :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
That's interesting! How come you've gone from financial admin to civil engineering (if you don't mind me asking)? Are you hoping to go to university? :smile:

My school didn't offer work experience so when I finished my GCSEs last year I found a placement on my own during summer in financial services. So, when I was looking for apprenticeships I was like 'Yeah, I really enjoyed what I was doing in summer and I would like to have a career in finance' Ha, big mistake.

I've always been interested in building and construction but as a female I always felt intimidated by the profession if I'm being honest. But having that job made me miserable so I though f**k it, I'm going to do what I want :laugh:

I hope to go to uni now. I start my BTEC extended diploma in construcion civil engineering in September studying A-level maths (I started this at college before so I have a bit of an advantage) and do EPQ too for 2 years. Then maybe study a degree in civil engineering or town/urban planning maybe with architecture too.
My school didn't offer work experience so when I finished my GCSEs last year I found a placement on my own during summer in financial services. So, when I was looking for apprenticeships I was like 'Yeah, I really enjoyed what I was doing in summer and I would like to have a career in finance' Ha, big mistake.

I've always been interested in building and construction but as a female I always felt intimidated by the profession if I'm being honest. But having that job made me miserable so I though f**k it, I'm going to do what I want :laugh:

I hope to go to uni now. I start my BTEC extended diploma in construction civil engineering in September studying A-level maths (I started this at college before so I have a bit of an advantage) and do EPQ too for 2 years. Then maybe study a degree in civil engineering or town/urban planning maybe with architecture too.

Ah, I see! The reason I ask is that I am considering an Apprenticeship in Engineering, and like yourself, for a female in a male dominated environment it is rather daunting, but at the same time, something I feel like I am interested in. The bit that concerns me know is that I am basing this on a work experience placement I have just undertaken, so I suppose I must consider the fact that it may not be a full representation.

Plus, I'd like to go to uni, but if I go down the apprenticeship route, I won't have A-levels behind me, so I'm kind of stuck between the two, although I would be getting a BTEC. I also don't know if I want a degree in a specific subject like engineering, or perhaps a more general subject like physics.
Ah, I see! The reason I ask is that I am considering an Apprenticeship in Engineering, and like yourself, for a female in a male dominated environment it is rather daunting, but at the same time, something I feel like I am interested in. The bit that concerns me know is that I am basing this on a work experience placement I have just undertaken, so I suppose I must consider the fact that it may not be a full representation.

Plus, I'd like to go to uni, but if I go down the apprenticeship route, I won't have A-levels behind me, so I'm kind of stuck between the two, although I would be getting a BTEC. I also don't know if I want a degree in a specific subject like engineering, or perhaps a more general subject like physics.

I totally understand after having been there myself. Of course a placement is never going to be a full representation but I suppose you have to go with what you think is right and what you think is right for you.

As for getting into uni with an apprenticeship as long as the qualification that goes alongside your apprenticeship is a Level 3 Extended Diploma BTEC which is equivalent to 3 A-levels you'll be fine. Level 2s are useless if you want to go to uni.

If you get your qualification and decide to go to uni to do engineering you'll have the experience behind you too which is an advantage you'll have over most people at uni that have come straight from uni/college.

If you take an apprenticeship and decide you don't like it like I did, then there's always options. If you're under 19 then you could always go back to college and study a BTEC or do A levels to go down the 'classic route' but if you're over 19, you could always save up the money you earn in your apprenticeship to pay for college. Also, there's schemes that will be able to help out money-wise too.

I'm still figuring out what I want to do to be honest!
I totally understand after having been there myself. Of course a placement is never going to be a full representation but I suppose you have to go with what you think is right and what you think is right for you.

As for getting into uni with an apprenticeship as long as the qualification that goes alongside your apprenticeship is a Level 3 Extended Diploma BTEC which is equivalent to 3 A-levels you'll be fine. Level 2s are useless if you want to go to uni.

If you get your qualification and decide to go to uni to do engineering you'll have the experience behind you too which is an advantage you'll have over most people at uni that have come straight from uni/college.

If you take an apprenticeship and decide you don't like it like I did, then there's always options. If you're under 19 then you could always go back to college and study a BTEC or do A levels to go down the 'classic route' but if you're over 19, you could always save up the money you earn in your apprenticeship to pay for college. Also, there's schemes that will be able to help out money-wise too.

I'm still figuring out what I want to do to be honest!

Is a BTEC National Diploma the same thing?

And yes, I suppose there is still the option of college up until 19 so that's always promising, although if i want to study a subject that isn't engineering, I will need A-levels, probably such as Maths, and consequently I'm looking at self teaching it, but I'm not sure how much work is involved in a BTEC qualification, and whether or not I'll have time to learn them.
Is a BTEC National Diploma the same thing?

And yes, I suppose there is still the option of college up until 19 so that's always promising, although if i want to study a subject that isn't engineering, I will need A-levels, probably such as Maths, and consequently I'm looking at self teaching it, but I'm not sure how much work is involved in a BTEC qualification, and whether or not I'll have time to learn them.

National Diploma is the one equivalent to 3 a levels. The ones where you do 18 units.

BTECs wouldn't be that bad if you were self teaching. The specifications and units are all available to view online. You could also just order the textbook off Amazon! There are no exams in BTEC engineering so it's all coursework and timed open book tests. I'm not sure about self teaching A levels though!

The only reason I am taking A-level maths alongside my BTEC is just in case I change my mind so I have the security of having at least 1 a level!
National Diploma is the one equivalent to 3 a levels. The ones where you do 18 units.

BTECs wouldn't be that bad if you were self teaching. The specifications and units are all available to view online. You could also just order the textbook off Amazon! There are no exams in BTEC engineering so it's all coursework and timed open book tests. I'm not sure about self teaching A levels though!

The only reason I am taking A-level maths alongside my BTEC is just in case I change my mind so I have the security of having at least 1 a level!

That's good and a relief!

What are timed open book tests?

And I quite like the idea of having something to fall back on such as A-levels, even if it is only one or two.
Timed open book tests: As far as college goes, you do the learning and the research and you can write it/copy it down from the teacher into your text book. You learn it and practise and then you get a test on the stuff you've learnt but rather than having to memorise everything, you're allowed your notes that you've taken down with you. They do this for the maths modules in BTEC engineering as a way to test you and pass you on the unit but it's not a proper exam.

I mean, I'm sure that this is what I want to do but I know what I'm like for changing my mind!
Reply 13
A lot of companies have actually been funding a lot of campaigns aimed at searching for women to enter male-dominated engineering roles in the UK in the last few years.

I'm currently an apprentice with Network Rail, and this is something we're actively seeing advertised now. While we do get a lot of female staff in the HR and planning areas we get very few entering for engineers roles. So definitely apply for any engineering apprenticeships that catch your eye - you genuinely could have an advantage just by being a woman interested in that field of work.
(Entering a male-dominated workspace can be very daunting, I can understand that, of course. But don't let it put you off.)

Also most higher apprenticeships in engineering shoot you out at the end with near-equivalent A-Levels, and you shouldn't be at a disadvantage. Definitely research what qualifications you'll receive at the end of the apprenticeship though, personally I advise going for anything at (minimum) BTEC Level 3 or equivalent.

Hope this (somewhat) helps.
Timed open book tests: As far as college goes, you do the learning and the research and you can write it/copy it down from the teacher into your text book. You learn it and practise and then you get a test on the stuff you've learnt but rather than having to memorise everything, you're allowed your notes that you've taken down with you. They do this for the maths modules in BTEC engineering as a way to test you and pass you on the unit but it's not a proper exam.

I mean, I'm sure that this is what I want to do but I know what I'm like for changing my mind!

Oh right - thanks for explaining that, they don't sound too bad.

I'm the same, but I'll probably end up changing my mind too :biggrin:

If you're wanting to do engineering, many of the bigger companies run multiple levels of apprenticeship, so BTEC, and Degree level apprenticeships. You could still get your degree through being an apprentice, plus you'd never have to stop earning.
Original post by Quintilius
You regretted it because it wasn't even in the field that you wanted to go into? Apprenticeship in finance yet going to college to study Civil Engineering and Maths? lol you regret it not because of the fact it's an apprenticeship but due to the fact you chose the wrong apprenticeship

If you read on:

For curiosity's sake, has anyone undertaken an apprenticeship (preferably straight from school) and regretted it?

My advice would be to do some thorough research into the field that you want to go in before doing an apprenticeship. I done 2 apprenticeships 5 years ago in Business and Administration (Level 2 and Level 3) and am now working in a senior Project Analysis role in the NHS while studying BSc Business and Information Systems at uni at the same time.

Only times I have come across people regretting apprenticeships is when they've come across the following:
- Done an apprenticeship in a field they don't even want to work in.
- Been placed in a boring company or the work they have you doing is boring.
- Not prepared for the real world of work.
- Thought an apprenticeship immediately means you'll get a job offering £20k+ upon completion.

Yes apprenticeships can be boring no matter what field you've worked in (in my opinion Customer Services is the worst), it's whatever you make of it. I've seen apprentices in IT, B&A, Finance, PR and Marketing come and go over the years because they didn't enjoy the work or found it boring.

Of my group of friends at work, 6/10 of us have done apprenticeships and we earn more than 3 of those who have taken the uni route and work in the same field. Only 1 of those that went uni earns more than all of us because he put in the hard work and effort when it came to getting a job and progressing post graduation. We all put in the hard work and effort, it just depends what doors open for you really.
If you read on:

Sincere apologies, completely misread that
:adore:
Yes. I did, in law, worked my way up and am in a great position now, qualifying as a lawyer in 2.5ish years, fees paid by company, Earn 20k+ at 22 which will of course rise if I qualify.

However, I always dreamed of university (very high achiever at school) and i was pressured by family (who never went to uni) and peers, into taking the Apprenticeship at the age of 17 (which itself was great).

I have decided (most definitely to my financial detriment) that I want a life with no regrets so am quitting and going to uni at 22!!!

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending