The Student Room Group

Banning the burkini is misogynist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dima-Blackburn
And what idealogy would that be? Are you another child left behind who can't fathom the idea of a non-Muslim supporting freedom of religion and the right to wear whatever we want?

You like freedom of religion, fine. I like freedom to say religion is a disease.
Original post by inhuman
So you presume to know more about my motivation than I do?

That's a really strong argument. You want to message me the response I should write to this comment of yours?

Its pretty simple, you're attacking Islam for being discriminatory, when practically every single other religion is as well.
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
It's complete hypocrisy that people claim to be liberal by throw their values away as soon as Islam comes up.

You could not be more wrong.

"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

It is well within a governments rights to make sure those born as citizen of its country are not forced to live within a culture that treats certain members as less. Banning something that stands for the oppression of women falls under that category.
Original post by alevelstresss
Its pretty simple, you're attacking Islam for being discriminatory, when practically every single other religion is as well.

No. I am attacking Islam because it is much more of a threat than any other religion. If it were up to me, all religion would be banned.

However, Islam is outdated. Christianity may have terrible verses in the Old Testament, the Church may still be misogynistic, BUT the influence it has on western society is mostly negligible these days. Not to mention the religion itself has changed. Islam on the other hand is just as barbaric as it was when it was created. And Islam wants world domination. It literally thinks everyone should be a Muslim.

https://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/ditib-101.html

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/ditib-islam-verband-101.html

Big debate in Germany atm regarding the influence of the biggest Muslim organization which is funded and essentially run as a propaganda machine by Erdogan.
Original post by alevelstresss

I wouldn't waste you time arguing with someone who clearly holds a different point of view regarding the issue, especially when they propagate the Religion as being back-ward; presumably based on the distorted representation of the faith through Media.Personally, I disagree with them, but I can't enforce my opinion on them, so I'd advise you to do the same :smile:
Original post by sadiadventures
The banning of the burkini was an extraordinarily misogynistic move to make. The ban is symbolistic of the west's constant attempts to silence and speak over Muslim women. The people of the west incessantly label us as oppressed, unintelligent and submissive, yet when we choose to cover ourselves (in accordance with the guidelines of our faith) the media instantly mistakes us for oppressed beings who need to be rescued. The ban is counterproductive- the choice of covering up is being taken away. This is inherently hypocritical- the west is trying to 'rescue' us by taking away our rights. Meanwhile, Muslim men are able to meet their required clothing guidelines on the beach.
For the record, in the west, even though many of us choose to cover up, we are not oppressed. There are hijabi television personalities, Olympic athletes, professors, journalists and more, and yet people still perceive us as dumb fools who are unable to voice our opinions.

Guidelines that are inherently misogynistic.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
"Choosing to conflate a cultural and religiously inspired mode of attire which women choose to wear to feel safe from the sexual gaze of society while partaking in a very ordinary pasttime with a terrorist group is a convenient ‘othering’ of fellow citizens in times of national crisis"

The problem is the burkha / burkini encourages the notion that women are responsible and fair game if they don't cover their bodies provoking the sexual desires of lustful men. Its *******s and completely the wrong way round.. its not on women to cover themselves up, its on men to learn how to control themselves better than a male dog around a ***** in heat.

It gets murkier because there are many young western female muslims who are proud of their parents culture and identity and enjoy wearing the religious and cultural atire without understanding the sinister reasons behind it.

Don't you dare tell them that, after all they know their religion better than you. :rolleyes:
Original post by sadiadventures
Actually, and I say this as a Muslim myself, those two analogies were made up by a Muslim man who was trying to explain the concept of female modesty from his *male* perspective. We are not consumable commodities, nor should we be spoken over. We have brains, and we have rights.

The right to drive a car in Saudi Arabia?
To be honest, I just don't get why it's anyones business why someone wears what they wear, as long as they're not harming themselves or anyone else... who cares. It's not going to affect me. I have my own life to live. That's my opinion, anyway.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Nonsense. Integration doesn't require giving up one's native culture; almost all of the minority groups retain their distinct cultural identities while contributing to society and being law-abiding citizens.

@OP Of course it's misogynistic. No one asked the Muslim women about this. "We'll liberate you by telling you what not to wear". What a joke.

The only thing sadder than a Muslim woman covering up because she has to, is a Muslim woman wanting to cover up. Wanting to be a good little Muslim girl, covering up so that no mean man may be aroused by her body.
Original post by inhuman
You like a snake? Growing asses like skin?

Yalla habibi to you to :wink:
Protecting our western traditions is paramount. We don't wear those awful costumes on Western beaches. They go against our culture. They have contempt for bikini clad women and nude sunbathers on a French beach who they regard as whores. Only yesterday in Corsica a gang of North Africans attacked a tourist who took a photo of a burkini clad woman on a beach. Big f****** deal! So the African Muslim males gathered in a group and set upon tourists with machetes and a harpoon and threw stones at a nude sunbather (which by the way is completely acceptable in Corsica, part of French culture). In my view the burkini is grotesque and has no place on European or British beaches.http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/08/15/riots-france-north-africans-attack-tourist-photographing-muslim-burkini/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hassanh
I wouldn't waste you time arguing with someone who clearly holds a different point of view regarding the issue, especially when they propagate the Religion as being back-ward; presumably based on the distorted representation of the faith through Media.Personally, I disagree with them, but I can't enforce my opinion on them, so I'd advise you to do the same :smile:

How is it not backward. Look at every single Muslim-majority country in the world. Look at the culture, values and norms there and compare them to ours. They have ideas that we held sometimes centuries ago.

The irony is, for every Muslim that thinks Islam is modern and isn't all that bad as people like I say, you can find another Muslim that thinks I am 100% correct with the only difference that he thinks that is great and I think it's sickening. I have met many Muslims in discussions online that think yes women must cover up and if they don't it means they are whores and that they are free to be had. This is the reality that you don't want to accept.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
To be honest, I just don't get why it's anyones business why someone wears what they wear, as long as they're not harming themselves or anyone else... who cares. It's not going to affect me. I have my own life to live. That's my opinion, anyway.

I commend you, cannot comprehend why people argue over matters which do not impact them directly? Sure, have a viewpoint but reiterating the same opinion will not suddenly change anything... :K:
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
Yalla habibi to you to :wink:

You don't seem someone I would want to go anywhere with, sorry.
Original post by Marco1
Protecting our western traditions is paramount. We don't wear those awful costumes on Western beaches. They go against our culture. They have contempt for bikini clad women and nude sunbathers on a French beach who they regard as whores. Only yesterday in Corsica a gang of North Africans attacked a tourist who took a photo of a burkini clad woman on a beach. Big f****** deal! So the African Muslim males gathered in a group and set upon tourists with machetes and a harpoon and threw stones at a nude sunbather (which by the way is completely acceptable in Corsica, part of French). That is French culture. In my view the burkini is grotesque and has no place on European or British beaches.http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/08/15/riots-france-north-africans-attack-tourist-photographing-muslim-burkini/

Well said.
Original post by Hassanh
I commend you, cannot comprehend why people argue over matters which do not impact them directly? Sure, have a viewpoint but reiterating the same opinion will not suddenly change anything... :K:

Finally someone who I can share a mutual viewpoint with!

Yeah, I just think it's silly. Have an opinion, you have a right to it, but you have a right to it just like these people have a right to an activity/action. Of course, it's a little different if this person is threatening innocent people/harming themselves or others in anyway. But if it's simply just an item of clothing - who cares!?

Exactly. It's just wasted time to me. Just get on with your life and stop trying to police people for being who they are. :colonhash:
Original post by Marco1
Threats have no place on TSR debate forums. Secondly, many Muslims do not know their religion well at all. Well known Muslim authors freely admit that. Non Muslims who have researched the religion and pondered it's impact on society, culture, national values, often have a much more informed understanding due to their less blinkered, questioning outlook.

You did get that I was being sarcastic, right?
Original post by inhuman
How is it not backward. Look at every single Muslim-majority country in the world. Look at the culture, values and norms there and compare them to ours. They have ideas that we held sometimes centuries ago.

The irony is, for every Muslim that thinks Islam is modern and isn't all that bad as people like I say, you can find another Muslim that thinks I am 100% correct with the only difference that he thinks that is great and I think it's sickening. I have met many Muslims in discussions online that think yes women must cover up and if they don't it means they are whores and that they are free to be had. This is the reality that you don't want to accept.

Firstly, you say look at every Muslim-majority country, however: 'Culture, values and norms' are a social construct and differ in all parts of the world. Religion does not influence your culture. Moreover, the west has become more secular over the years and with that comes new ideas and views.

I don't dispute what you say, Islam dates back to 1400 years ago. Yes, elements of the Religion will not be suited to modern society but the context in which they were written was for the time period the Religion came about. Yes, you can now argue the Religion is 'out-dated' but Islam is a way of life and can be implemented in today's society too. Additionally, a Muslim who looks down upon another Muslim is evidently not well accustomed to the concept of respect. I am a Muslim and hold no animosity towards women who do not wear a hijab, who am I to judge?

The reality is, your argument of Muslims perception of women who do not wear the hijab is based on encounters online, which you have fabricated your generalisations upon.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Finally someone who I can share a mutual viewpoint with!

Yeah, I just think it's silly. Have an opinion, you have a right to it, but you have a right to it just like these people have a right to an activity/action. Of course, it's a little different if this person is threatening innocent people/harming themselves or others in anyway. But if it's simply just an item of clothing - who cares!?

Exactly. It's just wasted time to me. Just get on with your life and stop trying to police people for being who they are. :colonhash:

But is it just an item of clothing?

In Nazi occupied areas, Jews were made to wear the Star of David...just a badge, just an item of clothing - who cares!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending