The Student Room Group

GCSE further maths question

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Ano9901whichone
It wasn't supposed to be a particularly hard question I don't think.

For some reason my browser won't let me quote your earlier post, but I can confirm that the answer you posted is correct for one of the inflection points.
Reply 41
Original post by Uni12345678
I did AQA GCSE further maths last year. In my opinion this could very well come up since 2nd derivatives are on the syllabus, and i think it wouldnt be the hardest on the paper but it would be harder than most i think :wink:

This question could not come up in AQA FM. In FM you only need to be able to find and clasify stationary points including stationary points of inflection.

This question is asking you to find points of inflection that are not stationary.
Reply 42
Original post by Uni12345678
I did AQA GCSE further maths last year. In my opinion this could very well come up since 2nd derivatives are on the syllabus, and i think it wouldnt be the hardest on the paper but it would be harder than most i think :wink:

Can you please tell me where I said second derivatives aren't on the spec? Let me answer that one for you- I didn't. If you could read the other posts you'd know that it was the equation that was the problem, and that I suggested using the second differential to help the OP. You would NOT ever get such a hard equation to solve at this level of maths. Please don't tell me what is and is not on the spec, I have done this course and much more advanced mathematics courses than you've sat yet so don't patronise me please.
Original post by L33t
Can you please tell me where I said second derivatives aren't on the spec? Let me answer that one for you- I didn't. If you could read the other posts you'd know that it was the equation that was the problem, and that I suggested using the second differential to help the OP. You would NOT ever get such a hard equation to solve at this level of maths. Please don't tell me what is and is not on the spec, I have done this course and much more advanced mathematics courses than you've sat yet so don't patronise me please.

I now realise that all you need to solve this question is to solve a quadratic equation.
What level of mathematics are you at then?
Reply 44
Original post by notnek
This question could not come up in AQA FM. In FM you only need to be able to find and clasify stationary points including stationary points of inflection.

Ironically, finding the points of inflection for this function is a lot easier than finding the stationary points (solving a cubic) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest