The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It is. Women of all faiths should have the freedom to choose how they dress.

We can't claim to have a monopoly on freedom if that freedom is not extended to Muslims.
Reply 2
banning the face veil is fine but I don't really see a problem with a burkini.
Yeah, we already had this thread.
A muslim would argue that

A non muslim sees it as a from of enforced misogyny.

Perhaps rather than Muslims trying to tell us we are wrong they go somewhere else that supports their views and let us have our own views than you very much.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
It is. Women of all faiths should have the freedom to choose how they dress.

Why?

What makes faith so special?
Reply 6
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Yeah, we already had this thread.

That was about the ban, I am more interested in the article and whether it is misogynist or not? Personally I don't think it is.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Why?

Laws should be made on the basis of whether the act in of itself causes harm in the objective sense, items of clothing are not harmful ergo the French are acting like a bunch of second rate fascist loons.
Original post by joecphillips
That was about the ban, I am more interested in the article and whether it is misogynist or not? Personally I don't think it is.

Okay.

I can see both sides. One side is wearing a burkini because you believe in a book of make-belief that says that showing your skin is wrong etc. is dodgy and, yes, comes from a place of misogyny, because of course no expectation of men to wear it.

The other side is that people should be able to wear what they want without being made to feel bad.
Laws should be made on the basis of whether the act in of itself causes harm in the objective sense, items of clothing are not harmful ergo the French are acting like a bunch of second rate fascist loons.

You didn't answer my question

Why should faith (in this case specifically Islam) be considered special in France?

Also love the generalisation of the French and the denial that they have the right to make their own laws and have to pander to a few religious fundamentalist
Why?

It's not about faith. It's about women being allowed to wear the clothes they choose for themselves, for their own reasons, regardless of the reason - whether they're comfortable in a certain outfit, it fits their needs for a particular occasion, or because that's the way they choose to follow their faith, etc.
You didn't answer my question

Why should faith (in this case specifically Islam) be considered special in France?

Also love the generalisation of the French and the denial that they have the right to make their own laws and have to pander to a few religious fundamentalist

You're wrong anyway, it's the French who are making faith special

These burkinis look similar to standard wetsuits with a T-shirt over the top, it's only because they are related to Islam the French seem to be so triggered.
Original post by stripystockings
It's not about faith. It's about women being allowed to wear the clothes they choose for themselves, for their own reasons, regardless of the reason - whether they're comfortable in a certain outfit, it fits their needs for a particular occasion, or because that's the way they choose to follow their faith, etc.

Then they can choose to not wear it and go to the beach or choose to wear it and not go

It is as you say their choice
I disagree... You can choose to wear a wet suit or rash vest or a bikini or a swimsuit, but the burkini is not a choice in the same way. One day you might wear a bikini and the next a full body wet suit. If you are restricted to just a burkini then it is not really a choice. I find it tragically sad that some women cannot even go to a beach or participate in sport without feeling that they must dress a certain way...

The only misogyny here is a religion that treats women as a lower class than men, than condones their abuse and subservience to their husbands. Then the people who have read this book feel they have no choice but wear a burkini or face the persecution of their god try to defend it as an example of freedom...

:/
Then they can choose to not wear it and go to the beach or choose to wear it and not go

It is as you say their choice

Why is it right for the French to ban a harmless item of clothing?
You're wrong anyway, it's the French who are making faith special

These burkinis look similar to standard wetsuits with a T-shirt over the top, it's only because they are related to Islam the French seem to be so triggered.

then the Muslim women can wear that then
Why?

What makes your opinion on how people should dress so special?
Why is it right for the French to ban a harmless item of clothing?

You do know what a question is don't you and how they work?
then the Muslim women can wear that then

That's my point, if someone with sensitive skin covers up, the French don't care. If a Muslim woman covers up it's literally terrorism, it's pathetic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tammie123
What makes your opinion on how people should dress so special?

Nothing

Well done for making a contribution to the thread

Quick Reply

Latest