The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Changing Skies
Finally hatched something other than Mr. Mime in my 10km eggs :lol: would have to be a scary one though :wink:

1471260300163.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow Gz! What level are you? How many 10km eggs have you hatched?

I'm still holding onto my 1st 10km egg until I finish my collection of 5km eggs.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Wow Gz! What level are you? How many 10km eggs have you hatched?

I'm still holding onto my 1st 10km egg until I finish my collection of 5km eggs.

I'm level 20! 4, 3 of which were all Mr Mime :colonhash:

Good idea! I always get 5km ones :tongue:
There is one aspect of the game I seriously hate and that's discrepancy between places. At work, I could gain a level a day at the lower levels due to two pokestops being at my desk. At home, where I have been for a week now (study leave) I have not gained a single level. I have hatched two eggs from walking around, but who wants to sit at a pokestop for an hour just for that? All I have to do at work is let the phone charge and have the app open, I would hatch eggs due to GPS glitching and whenever I finished something, quick spin at the pokestops and continue working. That adds up massively.

Here at home, it's quite frustrating, there isn't even any GPS glitching. And going out, there are no Pokemon here in the countryside compared to the city.

Am level 16 now, planning on using my first lucky egg soon, I am closing in on my target of 65 possible evolutions.
Original post by Scienceisgood
I believe it is about 20 miles an hour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I googled this, no one knows.

I for one hardly ever get distance credited when cycling.
Just walked to the end of the Long Walk in Windsor (still on the way back) and came across a WHOLE LOT of high CP Pokemon and quite a variety up there too. Anyone in the Windsor or Slough area should give it a go. =)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zerforax
So how often do people use their items? I'm level 18 now and in that time I've obtained 3x lucky eggs, 3x lure modules and 6x incense

So far I've used 2x incense (which don't seem to be great?) and 1x lucky egg (managed to get about 50k xp by using with mass evolutions).

Considering I'll get a ton of items at level 20 (2x lucky eggs, 2x lure modules, 2x incense and 2x incubators), should I be using up more items now?

As you said in your reply post, use the lucky eggs once you have enough evolutions to get a decent amount of exp. Incenses I would recommend using when you're going on a walk (as it maximises the amount of Pokemon you get) and lure modules I tend to save to use with friends - if you can find a spot with 3 stops close by and you have 2 friends then you only need 1 each to have some easy Pokemon. The incubators I tend to use immediately :tongue:.
Original post by inhuman
There is one aspect of the game I seriously hate and that's discrepancy between places. At work, I could gain a level a day at the lower levels due to two pokestops being at my desk. At home, where I have been for a week now (study leave) I have not gained a single level. I have hatched two eggs from walking around, but who wants to sit at a pokestop for an hour just for that? All I have to do at work is let the phone charge and have the app open, I would hatch eggs due to GPS glitching and whenever I finished something, quick spin at the pokestops and continue working. That adds up massively.

Here at home, it's quite frustrating, there isn't even any GPS glitching. And going out, there are no Pokemon here in the countryside compared to the city.

Am level 16 now, planning on using my first lucky egg soon, I am closing in on my target of 65 possible evolutions.

Yea I found that. In London usually and I can rack up XP pretty easily and hit tons of pokestops for items. Went up north for a week and only managed the same XP in a week what I can do in a day or two in London..

Do you think you can get all 65 evolutions done in 30 minutes? When I used my first lucky egg, I think I managed around 45 evolutions and had a couple of minutes spare. Don't know if I was just slow or whether it was because I also had a lot of new pokemon being added to my pokedex which ate into my evolution time?

Original post by tomtjl
As you said in your reply post, use the lucky eggs once you have enough evolutions to get a decent amount of exp. Incenses I would recommend using when you're going on a walk (as it maximises the amount of Pokemon you get) and lure modules I tend to save to use with friends - if you can find a spot with 3 stops close by and you have 2 friends then you only need 1 each to have some easy Pokemon. The incubators I tend to use immediately :tongue:.

Yea I had been planning to target 40-50 evolutions again but actually I think I'll use the lucky egg as soon as I have enough evolutions to make the jump to level 20. Currently need 46k xp but while I collect for evolutions, I'll probably eat into that amount quickly.

Don't have any friends who I think I could do with that any time soon so may as well do it myself :colondollar: I do often try to take advantage of other lures used but usually I find that pokemon don't spawn as quickly as I expect?
Yea I found that. In London usually and I can rack up XP pretty easily and hit tons of pokestops for items. Went up north for a week and only managed the same XP in a week what I can do in a day or two in London..

Do you think you can get all 65 evolutions done in 30 minutes? When I used my first lucky egg, I think I managed around 45 evolutions and had a couple of minutes spare. Don't know if I was just slow or whether it was because I also had a lot of new pokemon being added to my pokedex which ate into my evolution time?

Yea I had been planning to target 40-50 evolutions again but actually I think I'll use the lucky egg as soon as I have enough evolutions to make the jump to level 20. Currently need 46k xp but while I collect for evolutions, I'll probably eat into that amount quickly.

I walked into the literal "wild" here (cycling up a mountain, very slowly as steep and rough terrain with phone on handlebar), and one pokemon...

I found a website that said ca. 65 should be doable so I will aim for that. If I don't manage that many, well I will already have a lot saved for next lucky egg.

Don't have any friends who I think I could do with that any time soon so may as well do it myself :colondollar: I do often try to take advantage of other lures used but usually I find that pokemon don't spawn as quickly as I expect?

Levelling up is always irresistible to me, I always base my evolutions on how much I need to level up. The lures can be hit or miss, but it depends on how many there are. If there's only 1 lure then you won't get much benefit, but if you have 3/4 all going at once you can catch quite a few Pokemon.
Original post by inhuman
I walked into the literal "wild" here (cycling up a mountain, very slowly as steep and rough terrain with phone on handlebar), and one pokemon...

I found a website that said ca. 65 should be doable so I will aim for that. If I don't manage that many, well I will already have a lot saved for next lucky egg.

Yeah, the wild isn't a very good place for Pokemon. The game is population based, so the actual wild is terrible, unfortunately. As for the evolutions, it more depends on how ready you are. For example, transferring Pokemon takes quite a lot of time when you have to do 50 of them, so don't transfer your evolutions until after the egg expires of if you run out of evolutions. Little things like that can save quite a lot of time.
Original post by inhuman

Yea I saw some recommend you close the game rather than watch the whole evolution scene to save time too but dunno if it's true.

Original post by tomtjl
Levelling up is always irresistible to me, I always base my evolutions on how much I need to level up. The lures can be hit or miss, but it depends on how many there are. If there's only 1 lure then you won't get much benefit, but if you have 3/4 all going at once you can catch quite a few Pokemon.

Yeah, the wild isn't a very good place for Pokemon. The game is population based, so the actual wild is terrible, unfortunately. As for the evolutions, it more depends on how ready you are. For example, transferring Pokemon takes quite a lot of time when you have to do 50 of them, so don't transfer your evolutions until after the egg expires of if you run out of evolutions. Little things like that can save quite a lot of time.

Yea I think I can hit level 20 in the next day or so but from the information to hand, it seems that is the point you slow down. I tried to use a lure between two pokestops earlier and it just says you cannot use this item here?
Yea I saw some recommend you close the game rather than watch the whole evolution scene to save time too but dunno if it's true.

Yea I think I can hit level 20 in the next day or so but from the information to hand, it seems that is the point you slow down. I tried to use a lure between two pokestops earlier and it just says you cannot use this item here?

Ah, sorry, I mustn't have explained myself very well :tongue:. In order to use a lure, you must click on the Pokestop, click on the little white oval above the spinner and then click on the lure module. Lure modules are set to the stop itself, not to the person. So in order to set lure modules onto 2 stops, you need 2 of them. You can also travel into the city and there are usually spots that are constantly full of lures :smile:.

And yeah, from 20->21 you need 50k, 21->22 is 75k, 22->23 is 100k, 23->24 is 125k, 24->25 is 150k, 25->26 is 190k etc etc so this is when the grind really begins. It's amazing that from 20->25 is more exp than from 1->20 :tongue:.
Original post by tomtjl
Ah, sorry, I mustn't have explained myself very well :tongue:. In order to use a lure, you must click on the Pokestop, click on the little white oval above the spinner and then click on the lure module. Lure modules are set to the stop itself, not to the person. So in order to set lure modules onto 2 stops, you need 2 of them. You can also travel into the city and there are usually spots that are constantly full of lures :smile:.

And yeah, from 20->21 you need 50k, 21->22 is 75k, 22->23 is 100k, 23->24 is 125k, 24->25 is 150k, 25->26 is 190k etc etc so this is when the grind really begins. It's amazing that from 20->25 is more exp than from 1->20 :tongue:.

Ah did not know that! Thought you could use one lure to activate multiple stops within your radius. Will have to use one tomorrow now. Yea I regularly see lures used around my office so sometimes pop out to take advantage :colondollar:

Hmm I've got about 77k stardust now. Might start powering up some pokemon soon. Be nice to be able to do some gym battles rather than just focusing on level.

EDIT: got impatient and wasted an egg.. still had about 8-9 minutes left and only picked up 40k xp but enough to get me to level 20.

Got my first CP 1,000+ pokemon too! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Did not realise you get an extra candy each time you evolve a pokemon :eek:
Because everyone deserves a chance: 😄 image.png*
Original post by DarkMagic

I don't think that's a very appropriate plastic for a gym...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely if you put a low level into a gym, other reds can defeat easily and quickly get the level of the gym up?

I saw a level 8 gym on the way home today :eek:
Surely if you put a low level into a gym, other reds can defeat easily and quickly get the level of the gym up?

And valour are the sorts with the mindset to do that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
I don't think that's a very appropriate plastic for a gym...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't see anything wrong with it. The gym is in range of pokestops at a museum and a courthouse, and the 'park' is used all the time by runners, dog walkers and people playing cricket. *It's also near a supermarket and right beside one of the busiest roundabouts in town. The area is not (and should not be) cordoned off.

Didn't last long enough to be upgraded, the gym had turned to blue like 5 minutes after we took it. *We had a bit of fun taking it back when it turned grey first but then moved on. *

Original post by Jammy Duel
And valour are the sorts with the mindset to do that

Posted from TSR Mobile

*🙄
I don't see anything wrong with it. The gym is in range of pokestops at a museum and a courthouse, and the 'park' is used all the time by runners, dog walkers and people playing cricket. *It's also near a supermarket and right beside one of the busiest roundabouts in town. The area is not (and should not be) cordoned off.

Didn't last long enough to be upgraded, the gym had turned to blue like 5 minutes after we took it. *We had a bit of fun taking it back when it turned grey first but then moved on. *

*🙄

The point of the gym is for fighting, if people started brawling at a war memorial would you say they're being appropriate? I should hope not

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply