The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Only Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial > Warwick. LSE by a little stretch when Warwick is beating them in their own field. They're only a tiny bit behind LSE this year in the QS (when last year they beat LSE) and they are above LSE in the Shanghai rankings.

Unfortunately, I don't know how much you can read into rankings such as QS. See my previous post for more information.
Warwick has strong reputation both in the UK and internationally. They are connected with leading universities around the world. Trolls are going to hate on it as well as any of the other uni's that are in top 10 yet below Oxbridge. BE CHILL. :smile:
Original post by Nelliebelly
My dad was an American student who got a prestigious scholarship that meant he could attend any British uni he wanted for his MA. ANY BRITISH UNI. That includes Oxford, Cambridge, Durham etc. But he chose to go to Warwick. And you know why? Because it's frickin' awesome, that's why. Don't let the haters get you down.

Was it because your dad only accepted by Warwick vs the others that you mentioned?
My dad was an American student who got a prestigious scholarship that meant he could attend any British uni he wanted for his MA. ANY BRITISH UNI. That includes Oxford, Cambridge, Durham etc. But he chose to go to Warwick. And you know why? Because it's frickin' awesome, that's why. Don't let the haters get you down.

Having the financial means and being accepted are 2 different things.
[QUOTE=Anonymous;66951874]Having the financial means and being accepted are 2 different things.

Am I missing the point? Please explain :smile:
[QUOTE=Anonymous;66951732]Was it because your dad only accepted by Warwick vs the others that you mentioned?

No, getting the scholarship means he was de facto accepted by any university he wanted.
No, getting the scholarship means he was de facto accepted by any university he wanted.

I know of scholarships that can be tendered at any uni of the student's choice but never heard of one that was essentially a golden ticket pass admissions...

That would surely involve every university in the UK taking part and being aware of the scholarship because if the student randomly turned up at say Surrey and said "hey this scholarship means I'm studying here now" the uni would be like "huh?"
Original post by 99_Problems
I know of scholarships that can be tendered at any uni of the student's choice but never heard of one that was essentially a golden ticket passed admissions...

That would surely involve every university in the UK taking part and being aware of the scholarship because if the student randomly turned up at say Surrey and said "hey this scholarship means I'm studying here now" the uni would be like "huh?"

Look up the Fulbright Scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Princepieman;66954280]Look up the Fulbright Scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the one.
Original post by Princepieman
Look up the Fulbright Scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers. I've only read it for like ten seconds but it looks like they still need to apply to institutions directly and get accepted?

Spoiler

Original post by 99_Problems
Cheers. I've only read it for like ten seconds but it looks like they still need to apply to institutions directly and get accepted?

Spoiler

Welp, maybe they got accepted at all the universities the above user posted but chose Warwick? Who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Princepieman;66954484]Welp, maybe they got accepted at all the universities the above user posted but chose Warwick? Who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely, which just goes to show that Warwick, as I believe I have mentioned, is frickin' awesome.
I doubt it's bad, people turn pretentious when they go to university. Ignore them universities don't mean **** these days anyway, devalued.
Original post by Harold Godwinson
I doubt it's bad, people turn pretentious when they go to university. Ignore them universities don't mean **** these days anyway, devalued.

You probably got rejected from a half decent uni.

Nope, just have the fortune of being wiser then the average Joe :smile:

And I don't fancy the prospect of becoming a university grad, in a non graduate job, because there aren't enough for everyone and stuck with massive debt. Why do you think there are so many universities cropping up everywhere? It's big business.
And I don't fancy the prospect of becoming a university grad, in a non graduate job, because there aren't enough for everyone and stuck with massive debt. Why do you think there are so many universities cropping up everywhere? It's big business.

A good degree (something that has a purpose and is rigorous) from a good university (top 20 nationwide, not some crappy college nobody has ever heard about), combined with internships/lots of relevant work experience done during the summer holidays will ensure you won't end up in a non-grad job.
A good degree (something that has a purpose and is rigorous) from a good university (top 20 nationwide, not some crappy college nobody has ever heard about), combined with internships/lots of relevant work experience done during the summer holidays will ensure you won't end up in a non-grad job.

It doesn't ensure nothing. How many people like that do you think there are, who have said that exact same thing, who have ended up pulling pints or serving burgers at McDonalds. Having a degree doesn't guarantee anything. A degree is a form of proof that you have completed a university course, not a career guarantee. Most industries, including the financial sector (where the high pay nonsense I'm guessing you're aiming for) are run on the basis of nepotism and the "not what you know the who you know" basis.

If you can't see that now you never will.
It doesn't ensure nothing. How many people like that do you think there are, who have said that exact same thing, who have ended up pulling pints or serving burgers at McDonalds. Having a degree doesn't guarantee anything. A degree is a form of proof that you have completed a university course, not a career guarantee. Most industries, including the financial sector (where the high pay nonsense I'm guessing you're aiming for) are run on the basis of nepotism and the "not what you know the who you know" basis.

If you can't see that now you never will.

Proof of that...?
Proof of that...?

What do you mean "proof of that?" Be more specific?

Latest

Trending

Trending