The Student Room Group

Help I'm stressing

When we go back to school in September, it will be a start of sorting out uni applications. The only problem is, I have no idea what I want to do. I wanted to do something music or media related, but I'm worried about finding a job afterwards.

If anyone has any tips on how to figure out what to do at uni then great or even any courses within those categories that I can actually find a job afterwards.

Thanks in advance

Sara
Reply 1
Original post by Sarxbee
When we go back to school in September, it will be a start of sorting out uni applications. The only problem is, I have no idea what I want to do. I wanted to do something music or media related, but I'm worried about finding a job afterwards.

If anyone has any tips on how to figure out what to do at uni then great or even any courses within those categories that I can actually find a job afterwards.

Thanks in advance

Sara

Would an apprenticeship interest you?
You could take a gap year, to really read some books and try new things that will help you understand what you want
Unless you've considered medicine or some other competitive course, you still have a few more months to ponder so don't worry too much. Maybe use something like this to get an idea of what courses are available to you?
Original post by Sarxbee

Thanks in advance

Sara

Music?

Musi

Mus

us

S

St

Ste

Stem
Original post by Sarxbee

Thanks in advance

Sara

Maybe check unistats on the course you're interested in, on whichever uni website, if you're worried about job prospects. They've got really helpful statistics on there
Reply 6
Original post by Saba XD
Would an apprenticeship interest you?

It's something to consider. The only problem is I already have a job.
Reply 7
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
Maybe check unistats on the course you're interested in, on whichever uni website, if you're worried about job prospects. They've got really helpful statistics on there

Thank you, I'll check that out!
Reply 8
Original post by Sarxbee
It's something to consider. The only problem is I already have a job.

Just in case.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/creative-and-digital-media-apprenticeships

Check this out.
First decide whether you actually want to go to uni. You might find that an apprenticeship is more up your alley esp if you want to do somethIng in the media. If not get some work experience in fields you're interested in eg maybe volunteering in schools to help in music lessons or at a media company (eg bbc). Go on random uni websites or unis you would consider and look through all the a-z lists of undergraduate courses. This helped me massively when deciding what to do as I was able to see what was on offer. Don't worry if you haven't made your mind up yet you still have plenty of time unless you're looking to apply to Oxbridge the deadline is in January so plenty of time to decide and draft out your personal statement :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by SuperHuman98
You could take a gap year, to really read some books and try new things that will help you understand what you want

That's something to consider! I could take a year out to figure out what I want to do... hmm... I'll have a think.
Is it just me or do the avatars in first and second post look like sisters?

Quick Reply

Latest