The Student Room Group

[Official Thread] Self Studying Qualifications - Discussion

Self Studiers!!

So I thought I'd make this for all those self-studying and qualification and I know there has been one in the past but it's not been updated very recently. Also, I'm looking at self-teaching soon so it will be nice to hear your experience (past or present).

To start a conversation you can use the following questions:

What subjects are you/have you self-taught?

If you've completed them - how long did they take and what grades did you get?

If you haven't taken exams yet - what are you predicted and when are your exams?

Why did you decide to self-study?

Have any of you gotten into university using self-taught A-levels and how did you find the application process?

So, yeah, feel free to discuss anything self-taught on here, share resources and support each other. I know most of the questions above are aimed at AS/A-level (as that's the level I'm currently at) but anyone at GCSE or any other qualification feel free to joiin in!!

Scroll to see replies

I'm reserving this spot for when I know what I'm doing for certain :smile:...

Which is :

Self studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Physics.

I'm blogging about it so if you want the link just ask :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello all

I am Ella and I am self studying a-level English Language and Literature combined and I am also doing English English Literature

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Hi all. I'm probably going to be self teaching Higher Business Management and Economics, Higher is the Scottish equivalent to AS-Level. At school I'm doing Maths, English, French, German and Spanish.
Our exams will be in May 2017
And I decided to self teach additional subjects because I wanted a challenge and to stand out from others :smile:

Was wondering how much studying do you guys think we should be doing for each subject that we are self teaching, I've been doing stuff over the summer holidays but I'm back at school tomorrow so was thinking an hour a day??
(edited 7 years ago)
How about creating a kik group? Then that way we can motivate each other

I self taught my self AS and A2; Gov &Pol, History and Rs, getting my results on thursday
Original post by TeddyBear86
Hello all

I am Ella and I am self studying a-level English Language and Literature combined and I am also doing English English Literature

Hi Ella, good luck self studying and can I ask why did you choose to self study? :smile:

Original post by ___Sophie___
Hi all. I'm probably going to be self teaching Higher Business Management, Economics and Physics, Higher is the Scottish equivalent to AS-Level. At school I'm doing Maths, English, French, German and Spanish.
Our exams will be in May 2017
And I decided to self teach additional subjects because I wanted a challenge and to stand out from others :smile:

Was wondering how much studying do you guys think we should be doing for each subject that we are self teaching, I've been doing stuff over the summer holidays but I'm back at school tomorrow so was thinking an hour a day??

Hi! Nice choice of subjects - you're doing them as additional subjects? That is impressive! Is there any coursework involved in Physics - how will you manage this being self taught? :smile:

Original post by TeddyBear86
How about creating a kik group? Then that way we can motivate each other

It's a good idea, but I don't have kik. I can try and get it though, if it is something a few people are willing to do? :smile:

Original post by Sademajek
I self taught my self AS and A2; Gov &Pol, History and Rs, getting my results on thursday

Well done!! And good luck for the results, let usknow how you get on. Can I ask why did you choose to self study? :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Hi Ella, good luck self studying and can I ask why did you choose to self study? :smile:

Hi! Nice choice of subjects - you're doing them as additional subjects? That is impressive! Is there any coursework involved in Physics - how will you manage this being self taught? :smile:

It's a good idea, but I don't have kik. I can try and get it though, if it is something a few people are willing to do? :smile:

Well done!! And good luck for the results, let usknow how you get on. Can I ask why did you choose to self study? :smile:

I did biology and chemistry with history, however i didn't get the grades that i wanted so i asked my college if i could do a fast track year with different subjects they said no, so i decided to do it self study
I did biology and chemistry with history, however i didn't get the grades that i wanted so i asked my college if i could do a fast track year with different subjects they said no, so i decided to do it self study

I wonder why they said no! That's not very supportive but all the same - it's great to see you have the motivation. Keep going! :smile:

Seen as you did biology and chemistry whilst at college? How difficult do you think it would be in yoru view, to self study these subjects?
I wonder why they said no! That's not very supportive but all the same - it's great to see you have the motivation. Keep going! :smile:

Seen as you did biology and chemistry whilst at college? How difficult do you think it would be in yoru view, to self study these subjects?

It was difficult, i'd say Gov&Pol, the most because i;d never done anything with it before and also because there is a lot of content, which meant i had to memorise many essays.
It was difficult, i'd say Gov&Pol, the most because i;d never done anything with it before and also because there is a lot of content, which meant i had to memorise many essays.

Ah yeah I see what you mean. Let me know how you get on with the results - good luck :smile:

Yeah as additional subjects. And yes there is an assignment, but it doesn't need to involve anything practical, last year for national 5 (gcse equivalent) I wrote about ultraviolet light and skin cancer. I will probably hire a tutor a couple of times to check over my assignment to make sure it'll get a very high mark and then all I do is submit it to the exam centre.
Although lately my school have changed the option form and it looks like it is now possible for me to study physics within school instead of English, luckily there are nearby colleges which offer evening classes in English, so this may be a better option so I would still be doing 8 subjects but only self teaching 2 rather than 3... I'll think about it
Yeah as additional subjects. And yes there is an assignment, but it doesn't need to involve anything practical, last year for national 5 (gcse equivalent) I wrote about ultraviolet light and skin cancer. I will probably hire a tutor a couple of times to check over my assignment to make sure it'll get a very high mark and then all I do is submit it to the exam centre.
Although lately my school have changed the option form and it looks like it is now possible for me to study physics within school instead of English, luckily there are nearby colleges which offer evening classes in English, so this may be a better option so I would still be doing 8 subjects but only self teaching 2 rather than 3... I'll think about it

Wow - it sounds like you're extremely committed and it seems as though you have a few decisions to make too! :smile:

There aren't any colleges near me which seem to offer A-levels as evening classes, so I'm keeping looking at the minute. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the Physics, and the other subjects - good luck :smile:
Wow - it sounds like you're extremely committed and it seems as though you have a few decisions to make too! :smile:

There aren't any colleges near me which seem to offer A-levels as evening classes, so I'm keeping looking at the minute. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the Physics, and the other subjects - good luck :smile:

Thank you very much, best of luck to you aswell :smile:
Has anyone ever self-studied anything to say, BSc/degree level? Theoretically, couldn't you just do all the topics by yourself in a subject like maths, then just take the examinations at a university without actually studying there? It would definitely save a lot of money.
Thank you very much, best of luck to you aswell :smile:

Thank you too :smile:

What grades did you get?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Has anyone ever self-studied anything to say, BSc/degree level? Theoretically, couldn't you just do all the topics by yourself in a subject like maths, then just take the examinations at a university without actually studying there? It would definitely save a lot of money.

Can't say I have, but thinking about it, it would be a good idea and as you say, save you money. Is this what you are thinking of doing?
Hey everyone

So as most exams have finished, I'm just wondering if anyone's has anymore stories to tell and experiences to share, or if anyone is planning to undertake self studying during the summer or once September comes about?

If you do, or you are on the fence and a bit unsure - let us know! :h:
Just reviving this thread in case anyone has any stories to tell or help they need :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending