The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

How lenient are Sheffield for History?

I'm getting extremely anxious about not achieving the entry requirements for Sheffield. Last year I achieved ABC (A in Hist.) I'm re sitting two of my AS exams to try and get my grades up to AAB. I'm really stressed at the moment and struggling with revision, I'm working hard but not doing as well as I want to and I'm doubting that I will achieve AAB.
Does anyone know if Sheffield will let me in with lower grades?(ABB/ABC?) Or does anyone know of anyone who has been accepted with lower grades.
I really love the uni and the course, I don't want to go anywhere else!
Reply 1
anyone?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Sheffield are usually very lenient and you'll almost certainly get in with ABB. I've met people who've got in with ABC but they were doing either quite niche courses where they're trying to recruit more people, or engineering where they're also trying to recruit more people.
Reply 3
Original post by Helloworld_95
Sheffield are usually very lenient and you'll almost certainly get in with ABB. I've met people who've got in with ABC but they were doing either quite niche courses where they're trying to recruit more people, or engineering where they're also trying to recruit more people.

Thanks, I am relieved to hear this!!
Reply 4
im really worried too. History is in clearing, does that mean anything back? I think i will probably get lower than ABC so im unlikely to get in so i am really really worried :frown:
Original post by Jory
im really worried too. History is in clearing, does that mean anything back? I think i will probably get lower than ABC so im unlikely to get in so i am really really worried :frown:

Hi there :smile:

We understand that this can be a worrying time as you wait for your exam results. Currently, it's possible to advance register an interest in all of our undergraduate courses although not all of them will be in Clearing. When the exam results come in, we allocate places to all those students who met their offer and then we look at the 'near miss' students, starting with those who missed by one grade. At this stage, there may not be enough places for all of these students so we review the UCAS forms to decide which students will have their offer confirmed.

If we still have places available after this review, then we may look at the students who missed their offer by 2 grades. However, this isn't guaranteed as the department may prefer to then open up the places to students in Clearing who are just one grade adrift (ABB instead of AAB).

We always review applications on a case-by-case basis so if we have an applicant who has a clear commitment to Sheffield and has missed their offer by two grades, it's not a case of we wouldn't consider them at all - it all depends on the circumstances.

I hope results day works in your favour - usually we find that the students who worry the most have usually done well and I hope this is the case for you.

Best of luck :h:

Elizabeth
UK/EU Recruitment Officer
Reply 6
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi there :smile:

We understand that this can be a worrying time as you wait for your exam results. Currently, it's possible to advance register an interest in all of our undergraduate courses although not all of them will be in Clearing. When the exam results come in, we allocate places to all those students who met their offer and then we look at the 'near miss' students, starting with those who missed by one grade. At this stage, there may not be enough places for all of these students so we review the UCAS forms to decide which students will have their offer confirmed.

If we still have places available after this review, then we may look at the students who missed their offer by 2 grades. However, this isn't guaranteed as the department may prefer to then open up the places to students in Clearing who are just one grade adrift (ABB instead of AAB).

We always review applications on a case-by-case basis so if we have an applicant who has a clear commitment to Sheffield and has missed their offer by two grades, it's not a case of we wouldn't consider them at all - it all depends on the circumstances.

I hope results day works in your favour - usually we find that the students who worry the most have usually done well and I hope this is the case for you.

Best of luck :h:

Elizabeth
UK/EU Recruitment Officer

I hope it does go into my favour. :smile: My 6th form didn't go into much detail about clearing so I only know the basics but I have had a look at what universities are offering history on their courses.

I'm mostly worried because of having two different teachers for politics. And three for Law, I always got over 90% in my law essays but i felt like i wasn't working at that level and the exam didnt go like my previous essays. All three law teachers taught us different things and told us the previous teacher had taught us wrong.
For history the marking was just all over the place. Last year I copied word for word someone elses 50/50 essay to see what I would get as I was suspicious of their marking and I got 28/50. Similarly one of my teachers gave me what she said was an A grade model answer, and when i accidentally handed it in with my other essays (as I use a laptop in exams) I was given a D grade back on it. It was the same in year 13 for coursework, I was told my grade would increase if I i changed my coursework to fit the feedback my teacher had given, then after it had been sent off i was told i had done the corrections but my grade didnt improve.
Basically year 13 the teaching wasnt very great and the feedback i got has left me completely in the dark on predicted grades, I believe however i will get lower than my predicted ABB.
Thank you for replying, i was surprised at this response, Sheffield always seems to be good at communicating with students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending