The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Is anybody studing Computer Science and Games Design in September?

Hi everyone!
I'm yet to find anyone else that has applied to the same course as me!
I'm hoping I'll find someone here!
I've applied for the 4 year course with a sandwich year in the middle :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hello!
I'm doing g400, so pretty much the same as you but without the fun and games haha
Any idea what languages we'll be studying? I figure javascript, html and php will all be there, but i'm really anxious to find out whether Brighton does C++ or Java as their industry standard language. Hoping for Java since I already have a lot of the syntax down :h:
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Hi guys, I'm also doing G400 too :smile: I got the full specification at the open day and we're doing Java (Yay!) :smile: Hope this helps, can't wait to start! Also web dev is JS & HTML 5 :smile:
Original post by Spacefairys
Hi guys, I'm also doing G400 too :smile: I got the full specification at the open day and we're doing Java (Yay!) :smile: Hope this helps, can't wait to start! Also web dev is JS & HTML 5 :smile:

Aww yiss :clap2: Thanks for the info :five: And yeah I'm so psyched to start, especially now I know I won't be the only soul studying g400 at Brighton haha!
Haha, there were only about 30 of us at the taster day thing! Apparently the whole computing department (which is like 10 degrees) only has 100 students or so!
Reply 5
Original post by Spacefairys

Hey! Any way you'd be able to pst the course spec?
I've not even visited the campus yet, let alone go to the open day ^^'
Hey, I have attached the course outline for the computing department (I hope they're big enough for you to see!) If you have any questions about anything else do let me know :smile:
I'm doing CS G400 too!
Do any of you have any background in Java? I feel like I'm going to be the only one without any programming experience :s-smilie:
Original post by EnhancedAnt
I'm doing CS G400 too!
Do any of you have any background in Java? I feel like I'm going to be the only one without any programming experience :s-smilie:

Awesome!! welcome to the club! :bumps: I'm not sure this is really enough to be considered a 'background' in java, but my friend just finished his first year doing CS at kingston, and he let me use his account to go through his e-lessons, so I'm familiar with the fundamentals of OOP and stuff. Do you mean like no programming experience whatsoever? or just none with java? Either way, if CS at brighton is anything like my friend's uni, there will be lots of people with skill levels ranging from prodigal to "hello world", so I wouldn't worry too much :tongue:
Reply 9
I'm doing CS G400 too!

I have no programming or coding experience whatsoever so I'm literally going into this blind, don't worry you're not alone!
Original post by SirKyrgystan
Awesome!! welcome to the club! :bumps: I'm not sure this is really enough to be considered a 'background' in java, but my friend just finished his first year doing CS at kingston, and he let me use his account to go through his e-lessons, so I'm familiar with the fundamentals of OOP and stuff. Do you mean like no programming experience whatsoever? or just none with java? Either way, if CS at brighton is anything like my friend's uni, there will be lots of people with skill levels ranging from prodigal to "hello world", so I wouldn't worry too much :tongue:

Yeah I did mean no programming experience whatsoever, I guess they'll be teaching it from scratch anyways if they accept people like me :biggrin:

Original post by TechKitty
I have no programming or coding experience whatsoever so I'm literally going into this blind, don't worry you're not alone!

Well that's comforting hahah :smile:
Yeah I did mean no programming experience whatsoever, I guess they'll be teaching it from scratch anyways if they accept people like me :biggrin:

Well that's comforting hahah :smile:

Yeah you should all be fine, one of the first modules is introduction to programming so they probably start from scratch (especially seeing as not all colleges even offer CS it'd be unfair if they didn't!)
Hi everyone! I'm starting computer science (g400) in september! I have no programming experience as well and I was terrified I would be the only one haha😅

Are any of you staying in halls?
Original post by Ashiikoo1

Hi there!! Haven't accepted my offer as yet but yeah I'm most likely staying in paddock fields halls.. What about you? :smile:
Hi everyone! I'm starting computer science (g400) in september! I have no programming experience as well and I was terrified I would be the only one haha😅

Yeah I'm going to be staying in Firle House, wbu?:smile:
I'm staying in paddock field too! What flat are you in? I'm flat 20
I'm staying in paddock field too! What flat are you in? I'm flat 20

Awesoome! I'm going to be in flat 13 :biggrin: really don't like that I'll be paying an extra grand for catered accommodation, but I suppose it's better than nothing lol. Did yours not say something like 20a/b/c either? everyone from paddock has been saying 'oh yeah I'm 8b' but all I've been able to see on my address is 'flat 13'
Awesoome! I'm going to be in flat 13 :biggrin: really don't like that I'll be paying an extra grand for catered accommodation, but I suppose it's better than nothing lol. Did yours not say something like 20a/b/c either? everyone from paddock has been saying 'oh yeah I'm 8b' but all I've been able to see on my address is 'flat 13'

I've heard that some flats have two floors grouped as 1 because of the way it's built and there's 6-8 people per flat so the kitchen will be on one floor while the the rooms are among two floors, if that makes sense? Mines didnt have a letter either. Catered will be good! My friend had catered last year and said it was a good way to make friends. I actually lived in 31A and 30C last year.
x

Ah ok, yup that makes.. enough sense for me to almost visualize it lol & I suppose I'd never thought about catered like that! This is going to be your 3rd room in paddock then? & if so, how was your accommodation last year? is the wifi fast and are there any restrictions on streaming/torrents/downloads etc? because If I can't find a way to watch the coming season of the walking dead, it may just be a dealbreaker on halls for me.. we will see :biggrin:

p.s sorry to bombard you with all these questions :colondollar:
Ah ok, yup that makes.. enough sense for m

Haha yeah I'm well experienced with paddock. It's old and sometimes things break and the ride back from town on the bus seems like forever but it's one of the cheapest. But hey, it's ensuite and on campus where you can go to the library easily. It's a very party/socialable halls, great wilkins I've heard is kind of strict. I haven't had a lot of problems with the wifi. I know people who complain about it a lot, but I think it's pretty good and streaming/downloading wasnt a problem.

Quick Reply