The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should abortions be free?

Scroll to see replies

Ah yes, I meant as in junior doctor (though not very junior any more - I haven't updated that for years), not a doctor for babies!
No baby killing should not be free or even acceptable, unless it's only in the most extreme circumstance!
Original post by Helenia
Ah yes, I meant as in junior doctor (though not very junior any more - I haven't updated that for years), not a doctor for babies!

Oh fair enough, trust me to misunderstand that :facepalm2:
I believe abortions should always be free. I think some people are foolish and don't use protection so 'abortion' is their 'contraception' which is stupid. But I do think that the NHS does try to encourage better practice.

Not everyone is well educated about this stuff. I am a girl and I have met guys who really seem to believe that pulling out is 100% legit when done correctly, which it completely isn't (I mean I don't think they were saying it because they just didn't want to wear the condom - actually believing it is 100% safe).

I've also known people who are aware of the risks but they do just 'risk it'.

I had to take emergency contraception once (the condom broke and we didn't know so he came inside). I was completely freaked out but took it, everything was ok thankfully but the NHS really was like 'here, have more condoms' and really encouraged me to go back on the pill or consider other things like that (I had only stopped taking it because I wasn't having regular sex at all so I just used the condoms). Based on that I'd assume women who have had actual abortions the NHS people would try to encourage/educate about better practices.

However, no contraception method is 100% legit (except sterilisation, I think, but I think I read there's a very small chance of failure), so for those who use contraception that fails, they should have the right to abortion.

Abortions cost money, but what will cost more is the birth of an unwanted child. It is a shame abut the people who don't use contraception properly (worse when they are educated about it) but you can't charge abortion punishing those who get pregnant despite precautions.
If abortions weren't free, are we just going to return to the days of backstreet abortions?
The problem with this issue is that people are seeing it as if it were black or white. Even if one does pay for abortions, these rates can be heavily subsidised to the extent that, someone would only pay 20 quid for an abortion. In such a case, not only would this save the NHS over 1 million pounds a year but it would be affordable to everyone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PimpNamedSlikbak
The problem with this issue is that people are seeing it as if it were black or white. Even if one does pay for abortions, these rates can be heavily subsidised to the extent that, someone would only pay 20 quid for an abortion. In such a case, not only would this save the NHS over 1 million pounds a year but it would be affordable to everyone.

Good point
Original post by Tiger Rag
You don't know the reason for the abortion. It would cost far more to put the child into care, etc.

Multiple abortions are kind of taking the mick though. Did you not learn the first time?
Original post by Anonymous
Multiple abortions are kind of taking the mick though. Did you not learn the first time?

Depends on the reason.
Concluding to have an abortion is torture within itself. You don't know the kind of heartbreaking decisions a person may have to go through to decide that's the best course of action for both the parent and the foetus. So to then ask 'cough up some money' not only would put far more pressure on people financially, but also socially and emotionally - relationships and mental health would be highly strained. Furthermore having to provide sufficient 'evidence' that you have a reason for abortion is just wrong. It's not fair to ask people to provide evidence. In some cases that could be asking to show evidence that you're selfish, immature and daunted by the prospect of responsibility. That's surely not fair. It's a personal choice. It doesn't matter if you think we're wasting resources or time or money on those who have repeat abortions; they're going to do it anyway and ultimately it's their decision if they want to do so. There may be many, many reasons as to why people are doing that. They're the ones who have to live with it, not you.
nope, I dont want my hands covered in the blood of innocent babies via paying for it in taxes
Depends on the reason.

Let's be honest, in over 95% of cases, there's no danger/harm to the baby or mother. In about 3% of those(if that) the women have fallen pregnant as a result of sexual assault. That leaves 90% of women getting knocked up because of their own negligence. Now, accidents happen of course, but it's not unusual for a woman to have 6+ abortions throughout her lifetime. You can't overuse the 'I wasn't ready' excuse. Not only is that costing the taxpayer and pressurising the NHS, the woman risks damaging her own reproductive system. I think it should be free to a point, maybe after 2 abortions (provided the woman wasn't raped and the baby wasn't to be born seriously handicapped) and then after that you'll have to pay. Wouldn't necessarily cost the £680, but a small portion of that amount is something.
In 2015, 98% of abortions were funded by the NHS. 38% of them were to women who had already had one or more abortions. Repeat abortions costs £1m a week.

Just 2% were carried out under the grounds that the child would be seriously handicapped.

It is estimated that each abortion costs £680. This figure rises if terminations occur in the 2nd trimester.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/05may/Pages/repeat-abortion-termination-statistics.aspx

Should the taxpayer continue to fund other people's mistakes?
Are women using abortion as a contraceptive? Should there be tighter restrictions?

How much do you think supporting a mother through pregnancy and labour costs? How much do you think 18 years of child tax credit is?

The economic argument for providing abortions is solid. Very solid.

Now, accidents happen of course, but it's not unusual for a woman to have 6+ abortions throughout her lifetime.

So you're arguing that women who are not yet responsible enough to use contraception... should be forced to look after a baby?! Do you not see the problem there?
Now, accidents happen of course, but it's not unusual for a woman to have 6+ abortions throughout her lifetime.

Source?
Making people pay for their abortions is dickish thing to do.
No. Just no.
Ah, the misogyny on TSR never fails to baffle me.
Hilarious how most of the people who are saying that abortion shouldn't be free are men who will never be able to become pregnant, I'd like to see them carry around a baby for nine months against their will
Source?

'The “abortion as contraception” claim appears to be an interpretation of the data provided by campaign groups and abortion legislation critics. Also, the data suggest that only a tiny fraction of abortions were in women who have had seven or more previous abortions 85 procedures out of the 189,574 performed in 2010.'

'According to the Department of Health’s abortion statistics report, in 2010 there were 189,574 abortions in England and Wales (data are available on residents of England and Wales only). Approximately 64,445 (34%) of these were repeat abortions'
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/05may/Pages/repeat-abortion-termination-statistics.aspx

Critics said figures revealed yesterday show thousands of women are using the procedure as a form of contraception.It is not unknown for some women to have seven, eight or even nine terminations in their lifetime.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2143936/NHS-spends-1m-week-repeat-abortions-Single-women-using-terminations-form-contraceptive.html
Original post by nexttime
How much do you think supporting a mother through pregnancy and labour costs? How much do you think 18 years of child tax credit is?

The economic argument for providing abortions is solid. Very solid.

So you're arguing that women who are not yet responsible enough to use contraception... should be forced to look after a baby?! Do you not see the problem there?

Who said anything about forcing them to look after a baby? When you go to the doctor and they give you a prescription, don't you have to pay for it? As it's not free, would you decide not to pay for the prescription and let your condition worsen? Now, having a UTI or some other infection isn't your fault yet you still have to pay for the treatment. Pregnancy is 100% preventable. You can't keep making the same 'mistake' and expect other people to pay. If it came from your own pocket, perhaps you'd behave more safely

If a woman really wanted to have an abortion, she wouldn't hesitate to pay up a portion of the amount I.e £30 as opposed to funding an unwanted child for 18yrs.
In 2015, 98% of abortions were funded by the NHS. 38% of them were to women who had already had one or more abortions. Repeat abortions costs £1m a week.

Just 2% were carried out under the grounds that the child would be seriously handicapped.

It is estimated that each abortion costs £680. This figure rises if terminations occur in the 2nd trimester.

Should the taxpayer continue to fund other people's mistakes?
Are women using abortion as a contraceptive? Should there be tighter restrictions?

If the women goes through with birth, on average the delivery and immediate post-delivery care costs NHS £1067 with cheapest, home birth option, costs rise substantially for delivery in other settings. From an economic stand point on average every abortion saves NHS atleast £387; not to include atleast 18 years of passive care to that child while they're largely economically inactive.
Should NHS therefore stop funding maternity yards saving it quite a significant chunk of money, while supporting and encouraging abortion with at minimum free abortions?
Or is your opposition based on act of abortion, and desire to interfere with another person's body rather than actual economics?
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest