The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Have you tried it on your phone? It should work by using the news app or even just googling the headlines and it'll come up. :dontknow: I skim read a few and they seemed to be pretty generic and focussed on the marking reforms. There was some stuff about boys choosing subjects that generated more top grades than the subjects girls tend to choose - and more entries in maths/further maths resulting in more top grades being anticipated. :redface:

Yeah thank you :smile: I've seen them now (actually @She-Ra kindly pm-ed me the articles). You're right those are just generic things we pretty much already knew lol.
Original post by Astudent24
What does eveyone think they got ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A*A*A*A
Original post by elzprosser
Dreading it, does anyone know if UCAS can still change my application over the phone while track is down? Want to remove my insurance now because I really don't want to go and I'm worried there will be a delay getting them to release me on Thursday that might cause me to miss out on the clearing place I want 😭 I know I've left it really late but after visiting my insurance I'd been dead set on not going to uni if I don't meet my offer, it's only when I got an email about a course in clearing that I really liked the look of that I've decided to go for clearing instead

It's too late now - UCAS couldn't make those changes anyway - you ALWAYS need to speak to your universities directly first. UCAS are just the middle men.

You can email your insurance (use the admissions email address) and let them know that if your firm reject you then you will not be taking up a place with them and ask instead that they place you in clearing ASAP. That way if you're one of the few (8%) who end up with your insurance on results day you can phone up and they already have written notice of your wishes.
Original post by physicsmaths
A*A*AB
Still miss my insurance and firm. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What!?
Are they mad?
I think I got A*AA but hoping for A* in maths to make A*A*A.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elzprosser
Dreading it, does anyone know if UCAS can still change my application over the phone while track is down? Want to remove my insurance now because I really don't want to go and I'm worried there will be a delay getting them to release me on Thursday that might cause me to miss out on the clearing place I want 😭 I know I've left it really late but after visiting my insurance I'd been dead set on not going to uni if I don't meet my offer, it's only when I got an email about a course in clearing that I really liked the look of that I've decided to go for clearing instead

It's too late to make changes I'm afraid (and even if it wasn't you need to speak to your universities directly not UCAS - UCAS can do very little at this point).

There's very little chance you'll end up with your insurance choice. Only about 8% of people do - because most firm choices will accept grades below the offer (often a lot lower).

It is worth emailing your insurance today (email their admissions office) and explaining that if your firm reject you then you would not want to take up a place with them and would like to be placed in clearing ASAP. That means when you ring on Thrusday morning (IF you miss your firm grades and IF your firm reject you) then you can tell them they already have intructions in writing about your wishes.

Original post by scrawlx101
can we check track early on results day at 6;30 in the morning or do we have to check at 8?

You can check it but it will be offline that early. UCAS wont make track live until their phonelines are open. Their phonlines open at 7:30am.
Get more sleep!
Original post by cassidyjjoy
@PQ

Sorry for tagging you, but I was wondering whether it's possible to call a university now to be considered for another course with lower grades (that is already in clearing)? I have an offer of A*AA for English at Exeter but really think I'm more likely to get AAA! They have Art History and English for AAA-AAB and I adore the course and university. If I did get AAA I would seriously consider being released from my insurance to go for this course. But of course, it would be much easier to get a changed course instead! What do you think? :smile:

Call them up (and follow up with an email) and let them know that if you're unsuccessful with your first choice course you would like to be considered for alternatives (especially the one you prefer) before they reject you.

TBH I doubt you'd be rejected with AAA for an A*AA English offer at Exeter unless they've had a bumper year which given their VC is all over the press saying how difficult this year will be for universities doesn't seem likely
Original post by Pijktmyha
What!?
Are they mad?
I think I got A*AA but hoping for A* in maths to make A*A*A.

Hey what can you do ey made a stupid choice not putting warwick as my insurance.
I needed 4A*s for cambridge and
A*A*AA for imperial wariwck was A*AA which was practically guaranteed so I have screwed myself over so yh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
It's too late to make changes I'm afraid (and even if it wasn't you need to speak to your universities directly not UCAS - UCAS can do very little at this point).

There's very little chance you'll end up with your insurance choice. Only about 8% of people do - because most firm choices will accept grades below the offer (often a lot lower).

It is worth emailing your insurance today (email their admissions office) and explaining that if your firm reject you then you would not want to take up a place with them and would like to be placed in clearing ASAP. That means when you ring on Thrusday morning (IF you miss your firm grades and IF your firm reject you) then you can tell them they already have intructions in writing about your wishes.

You can check it but it will be offline that early. UCAS wont make track live until their phonelines are open. Their phonlines open at 7:30am.
Get more sleep!

Call them up (and follow up with an email) and let them know that if you're unsuccessful with your first choice course you would like to be considered for alternatives (especially the one you prefer) before they reject you.

TBH I doubt you'd be rejected with AAA for an A*AA English offer at Exeter unless they've had a bumper year which given their VC is all over the press saying how difficult this year will be for universities doesn't seem likely

Hi
Basically I have most probably got A*A*AB which meets course requirements for nearly all courses and can I go to adjustment with these grades even if my firm and insurance reject me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by notanooblol
I think his offers are Imperial and Cambridge. He is on "gap year" and already had two A*s, but he messed up badly this year due to just being lazy apparently. Ngl sounds less like a gap year and more like redoing two a levels.

Yh bro ur right.
Redid physics.
Redone 1 a level.
Further additional maths i tried this year.
Resat the year, redoin the year, gap year. Idec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey what can you do ey made a stupid choice not putting warwick as my insurance.
I needed 4A*s for cambridge and
A*A*AA for imperial wariwck was A*AA which was practically guaranteed so I have screwed myself over so yh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you studying? My firm is Birmingham doing nuclear engineering and my insurance is Warwick doing conventional engineering. Birmingham is AAA and Warwick is AAB.
A*A*A*A

Lol delete ur comment. What a wasteman

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
Basically I have most probably got A*A*AB which meets course requirements for nearly all courses and can I go to adjustment with these grades even if my firm and insurance reject me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You only get the button to use adjustment if your firm accepts you - and you'll only be eligible if you meet and exceed your firm offer conditions.

If your firm and insurance reject you you'll be placed in clearing and aren't going to struggle for offers with those grades. IF you end up in clearing I strongly recommend you play the field and hold off on referring yourself officially until Friday afternoon at the earliest....even universities that say they aren't in clearing might be bending over backwards for someone with A*s and As who rings on Friday after the phones go quiet.
What are you studying? My firm is Birmingham doing nuclear engineering and my insurance is Warwick doing conventional engineering. Birmingham is AAA and Warwick is AAB.

Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
You only get the button to use adjustment if your firm accepts you - and you'll only be eligible if you meet and exceed your firm offer conditions.

If your firm and insurance reject you you'll be placed in clearing and aren't going to struggle for offers with those grades. IF you end up in clearing I strongly recommend you play the field and hold off on referring yourself officially until Friday afternoon at the earliest....even universities that say they aren't in clearing might be bending over backwards for someone with A*s and As who rings on Friday after the phones go quiet.

Thanks alot, preparing for the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also applying for Imperial Maths. If you got A*A*AB, I think that you have a very good chance of being accepted if they are aware of your AEA and STEP. If not, I'm not going to lie, you've really ****ed up :/ have you contacted Warwick to see if they could help you? What were the exam boards for your exams this year?

Woop another maths person :biggrin:
Yh bro ur right.
Redid physics.
Redone 1 a level.
Further additional maths i tried this year.
Resat the year, redoin the year, gap year. Idec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah sik, would have loved to do additional if my school had offered it.
Thanks alot, preparing for the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Adjustment IS clearing in reality. The only university that takes part in adjustment and not Clearing is UCL - and even they will use Clearing for "procedural expediency" (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/academic-manual/documents/annexes_2016-17/chapter_1_annexes_16-17/Annex_1.1.3_UG_Recruitment_and_Admissions_Good_Practice.pdf ) ie if an amazing candidate approaches them who is in clearing and not adjustment for some reason then they'll open up a course for that specific candidate.
I'm also applying for Imperial Maths. If you got A*A*AB, I think that you have a very good chance of being accepted if they are aware of your AEA and STEP. If not, I'm not going to lie, you've really ****ed up :/ have you contacted Warwick to see if they could help you? What were the exam boards for your exams this year?

Yh i didnt revise at all this year. I did M4 properly as a module and U4 Physics. So yh. I could get 4A*s but it is not that unlikely. I either get A* in AFM or a B since I have met the A* condition with M3-5 definately as M3/4 are definately at 100ums. But I need 480/600 and i didnt recise for D1 and did slightly worse on D2 then needed(need like 5 ums and A* is done lol) then S4 i got what a needed.
U4 physics felt like full UMS but U5 went slightly worse and feel like i made stupid errors and lost an easy A*.
Yeh imperial said they will consider it since I have some other things I emailed imperial about which will help me alot i reckon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
will the grade boundaries be released tonight?
I'm really anxious, as are a lot of people, but especially for my maths result. I did edexcel and C3 was my most confident exam of all my exams, really wanted to smash it because I badly want an a*. Thought I'd done that when I got out of the hall but then my friends were talking about a Q9, which I didn't know existed. I felt so terrible! So annoyed with myself! It even made me feel sh*t for my chem 5 exam the next day. But my mum and my brother pulled me through it (what great people) and I had to pick myself up and demolish C4. I think I did that but I have cut it so fine, genuinely don't know if I've actually got the a*. I'd be fine if I found it hard or I ran out of time, but the fact I completely missed out a question is what is SO annoying!!!!

You may be thinking "what a bast*rd complaining about not getting an a*", and I completely see where you'd be coming from, but this is potentially worth thousands of £££ from the university. So that brown envelope is gonna be the death of me.

Also if you're just counting down the hours, just watch the olympics because that's really taken my mind off of results day. Come on Team GB!

Believe it or not I had a mate who did the exact same as you, and I felt awful when I had to tell him that there were 9 questions not 8. But what I told him and what I'll tell you is that actually there's still a lot of hope. The A* this year I believe will be about 66 (slightly easier than last year's paper which was 65), and I believe the last question was worth around 8 marks. So actually, if you did smash the rest of the C3 paper, chances are you got nearly 90UMS. And if you did "demolish" C4, chances are you've got the A*.

Good luck for results day 🙏🏾

Quick Reply

Latest