The Student Room Group

Struggling to get over ex...

Hi all,

About 6 months ago I found out my partner had a 2 year affair and obviously I split with him but was devastated. We were together for 10 years and he's all I've ever known. They are still together now and after I went back on Facebook since we split yesterday I saw loads of pictures of them. 6 months surely is a long time to have got over it though? I still think about him pretty much everyday.

I don't have any family left (parents passed even though I'm 28 and I'm an only child) so feel pretty much alone. The only way I feel I can get over this is to pack my stuff and just leave and never come back (to the UK)

Any advice? Any personal experiences?*
Hey, I'm sorry about that. I understand how you feel and it's hard to watch someone you love -and especially someone you've been with for so long- being with someone else. However, he's gone and thinking about him won't let you move on. Everything happens for a reason. I know sometimes we don't want to admit that but I know that after a hurricane comes the rainbow and maybe this all happened so something better can come your way. Sometimes, being alone is not that bad, even though it seems like it at first.
It is an opportunity for you to get to know yourself, do what you love. I understand how hard it is not to think about him maybe you could try to distract yourself through taking up hobbies like reading, dancing, anything that you enjoy. If you ever need to talk, don't hesitate to send me a message.
6 months is basically nothing in the context of your relationship and the traumatic way it ended, so try to be less hard on yourself :smile: Don't torture yourself with pictures of them, it's not going to help matters. Your whole focus needs to be on building a new support network of friends, love interests and older mother and father figure types. Find people who have your back and will open your world up to new experiences. Relocating is a great way to do this, as it forces you to get out and make something of yourself.
Original post by Double Agent
6 months is basically nothing in the context of your relationship and the traumatic way it ended, so try to be less hard on yourself :smile: Don't torture yourself with pictures of them, it's not going to help matters. Your whole focus needs to be on building a new support network of friends, love interests and older mother and father figure types. Find people who have your back and will open your world up to new experiences. Relocating is a great way to do this, as it forces you to get out and make something of yourself.

What he said.

It's hard going, the first year is the worst but it gets so much better and easier after that. Do something everyday that makes you happy, even if it's just eating cake (not that anyone, ever needs an excuse for cake) You'll find new things to do, new courses, jobs, meet new people and he will soon be a memory. It seems impossible now but it will happen. You'll soon find time for all the things you never got round to doing, learn more about yourself and what you can do/acheive because you have no choice...besides, why waste anymore of your life on someone who clearly give a monkeys about you?

It's not easy at first but it does get easier. You'll have bad days and days where all you do is cry, but it does get better, sooner than you think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending