The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
Adjustment IS clearing in reality. The only university that takes part in adjustment and not Clearing is UCL - and even they will use Clearing for "procedural expediency" (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/academic-manual/documents/annexes_2016-17/chapter_1_annexes_16-17/Annex_1.1.3_UG_Recruitment_and_Admissions_Good_Practice.pdf ) ie if an amazing candidate approaches them who is in clearing and not adjustment for some reason then they'll open up a course for that specific candidate.

UCL isn't exactly the best of Unis for maths tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5321
Does anyone have Welsh Baccalaureate as part of their offer?
Original post by drandy76
UCL isn't exactly the best of Unis for maths tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't offering maths specific advice - just explaining that adjustment and clearing are interchangeable in the eyes of all universities - except UCL (and even for that exception they will admit people via clearing they just don't advertise in clearing)
Reply 5323
Original post by espicton98
will the grade boundaries be released tonight?

AQA is relieving at 8AM tomorrow.
All others any time tomorrow before 6PM is a safe bet.
Original post by Aph
AQA is relieving at 8AM tomorrow.
All others any time tomorrow before 6PM is a safe bet.

ok, thankyou :h:
Original post by PQ
I wasn't offering maths specific advice - just explaining that adjustment and clearing are interchangeable in the eyes of all universities - except UCL (and even for that exception they will admit people via clearing they just don't advertise in clearing)

I am hoping warwick maths will do something then.
Should I contact warwick maths on friday?
I have emailed them but no reply at all.
I would be worried since warwick maths is very oversubscribed.
Reply 5326
Original post by PQ

Wait... Are there separate clearing and adjustment lists and unis who don't advertise in both could still let you in??? (Or is this just UCL)
Original post by physicsmaths
Yh i didnt revise at all this year. I did M4 properly as a module and U4 Physics. So yh. I could get 4A*s but it is not that unlikely. I either get A* in AFM or a B since I have met the A* condition with M3-5 definately as M3/4 are definately at 100ums. But I need 480/600 and i didnt recise for D1 and did slightly worse on D2 then needed(need like 5 ums and A* is done lol) then S4 i got what a needed.
U4 physics felt like full UMS but U5 went slightly worse and feel like i made stupid errors and lost an easy A*.
Yeh imperial said they will consider it since I have some other things I emailed imperial about which will help me alot i reckon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't lose hope! You seem like you 70% did get at least 3A*s and 1A :smile: even if you get A*A*AB you'll still end up in an amazing uni! You can always take another gap year and actually revise this time aha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh i didnt revise at all this year. I did M4 properly as a module and U4 Physics. So yh. I could get 4A*s but it is not that unlikely. I either get A* in AFM or a B since I have met the A* condition with M3-5 definately as M3/4 are definately at 100ums. But I need 480/600 and i didnt recise for D1 and did slightly worse on D2 then needed(need like 5 ums and A* is done lol) then S4 i got what a needed.
U4 physics felt like full UMS but U5 went slightly worse and feel like i made stupid errors and lost an easy A*.
Yeh imperial said they will consider it since I have some other things I emailed imperial about which will help me alot i reckon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've been secretly following your story :wink: it's pretty interesting and shocking. Could the modules rearrange from Maths and Further Maths so that you could get the 480 in additional. It must be so frustrating for you. Do you really think that you got C's in the other three maths modules tho!?
Which exam board was physics? I reckon Imperial will let you in, but emailing or ringing Warwick or UCL may help just in case. They wouldn't miss out on taking you, you seem like the type who should be going to Cambridge ngl.
Original post by PQ

Ah, you quoted my boy mathsmaths so I assumed you were just talking about maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fefssdf
Summertime sadness

'Kiss me hard before you go'

I say to my uni dreams xoxo
Original post by somevirtualguy
Believe it or not I had a mate who did the exact same as you, and I felt awful when I had to tell him that there were 9 questions not 8. But what I told him and what I'll tell you is that actually there's still a lot of hope. The A* this year I believe will be about 66 (slightly easier than last year's paper which was 65), and I believe the last question was worth around 8 marks. So actually, if you did smash the rest of the C3 paper, chances are you got nearly 90UMS. And if you did "demolish" C4, chances are you've got the A*.

Good luck for results day 🙏🏾

Cheers.
Where abouts are you from, just wondering if you're actually someone from my school?
(Doubt it though.)
I am hoping warwick maths will do something then.
Should I contact warwick maths on friday?
I have emailed them but no reply at all.
I would be worried since warwick maths is very oversubscribed.

IF you're in clearing then call as many universities as you like on Thursday.

But if you've got AAA or higher don't refer yourself on Track on Thursday (and explain to any university making an offer that you need time to make a good decision)....be an utter tart and phone and get offers from anyone and everyone you can think of. You might also get a few "no" responses but with AAA you should be aiming to get at least 5/6 offers to pick between in clearing....preferably more.

Original post by Aph
Wait... Are there separate clearing and adjustment lists and unis who don't advertise in both could still let you in??? (Or is this just UCL)

It's JUST UCL. Every other university has their clearing lists on UCAS/their websites and those are the vacancies for adjustment too. UCL for some reason don't list their places in clearing but have a few places available for adjustment (but in actuality they will take people through clearing too)...generally they're looking for people who have met the UCL standard offer grades.
Original post by notanooblol
Yeah I've been secretly following your story :wink: it's pretty interesting and shocking. Could the modules rearrange from Maths and Further Maths so that you could get the 480 in additional. It must be so frustrating for you. Do you really think that you got C's in the other three maths modules tho!?
Which exam board was physics? I reckon Imperial will let you in, but emailing or ringing Warwick or UCL may help just in case. They wouldn't miss out on taking you, you seem like the type who should be going to Cambridge ngl.

People don't understand when I say I didn't revise.
I did not learn S4(learnt it on the morning literally a few distributions and got around 40UMS)
I did not learn D1 at all probably got a U only answered 2 questions.
Learnt half of D2 at night got around a D.
Learnt all of S3 2/3 days before and got around a B/maybe A.
Rest of modules were A*s other then S1 and S2 which were 81 and 49.
Yeh through arranging modules I get A*A*B who knows may be 3A*s if the boundaries are kind in 1/2 exams i dnt even care anymore I hate a levels so much they require no thinking at all.I don't want to take another gap year I just really want to start Uni maths at like warwick or something.
Physics was edexcel.
My application will be flagged in Cambridge for strong step grades so hoping for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone give me advice?
I need 3 As for my course but as each day passes i end up thinking i will get 3 Cs
My uni is in clearing for its course and i was wondering if i ended up with ABB or BBB would i be accepted into my uni or not? (East Anglia)
Original post by Pijktmyha
Cheers.
Where abouts are you from, just wondering if you're actually someone from my school?
(Doubt it though.)

I doubt it too haha from WSFC
Reply 5336
Original post by PQ

It's JUST UCL. Every other university has their clearing lists on UCAS/their websites and those are the vacancies for adjustment too. UCL for some reason don't list their places in clearing but have a few places available for adjustment (but in actuality they will take people through clearing too)...generally they're looking for people who have met the UCL standard offer grades.

Ahhhh okay :smile: I'd never go to a London uni so that doesn't worry me. I'm also a little more confident now than I was yesterday that things are going to be fine but I know today and tomorrow are going to drag...

I'd ask why UCL don't do it but I guess you don't know?
People don't understand when I say I didn't revise.
I did not learn S4(learnt it on the morning literally a few distributions and got around 40UMS)
I did not learn D1 at all probably got a U only answered 2 questions.
Learnt half of D2 at night got around a D.
Learnt all of S3 2/3 days before and got around a B/maybe A.
Rest of modules were A*s other then S1 and S2 which were 81 and 49.
Yeh through arranging modules I get A*A*B who knows may be 3A*s if the boundaries are kind in 1/2 exams i dnt even care anymore I hate a levels so much they require no thinking at all.I don't want to take another gap year I just really want to start Uni maths at like warwick or something.
Physics was edexcel.
My application will be flagged in Cambridge for strong step grades so hoping for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also hate A levels because of the same reasons (especially maths A levels, it's like solving questions like a computer without having the faintest idea what you're doing) but my future depends on it so I took them seriously enough. It sounds like you're showing off with having learnt modules the morning before the exam. If your university place depends on your exam results, why haven't you started revising at least a week before?
Original post by vik1234
Can someone give me advice?
I need 3 As for my course but as each day passes i end up thinking i will get 3 Cs
My uni is in clearing for its course and i was wondering if i ended up with ABB or BBB would i be accepted into my uni or not? (East Anglia)

There's really no way to know - a LOT of people are accepted with dropped grades but there aren't any guarantees.

A university will only reject an applicant if either
a) they physically can't accommodate them (teaching/lab space, teaching staff, accommodation promises) or
b) they have evidence that people with grades at that level will drop out or fail the course

No rejection is vindictive or spiteful - but they wont accept applicants who they know are likely to fail.

Original post by Aph
Ahhhh okay :smile: I'd never go to a London uni so that doesn't worry me. I'm also a little more confident now than I was yesterday that things are going to be fine but I know today and tomorrow are going to drag...

I'd ask why UCL don't do it but I guess you don't know?

Snootiness

(Bristol and Durham used to be the same....both changed their tunes when the new funding regime came in in 2012)
Original post by somevirtualguy
I doubt it too haha from WSFC

Ah good, that means I wasn't the only person in the country to do it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest