The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harold Godwinson
What do you mean "proof of that?" Be more specific?

All of the stuff you're saying.

Life isn't fair, but to believe the whole world out is nepotistic is a bit much...
Original post by Anonymous
All of the stuff you're saying.

Life isn't fair, but to believe the whole world out is nepotistic is a bit much...

I'm serious go out there, try and get that high esteemed career you always wanted and you will soon find out, that degree you worked your arse off for the last several years doesn't mean much, as about literally 50,60,80 other people have the same degree and the company bigwigs will have first dibs on high up places for their own kids, hence nepotism. The main problem with university students is most of them have a real lack in work experience. There is such a thing as over educated and it's more about what character you have, not what bloody university you went to.
Original post by Ladbants
On the "most prestigious universities" list people were getting mad that Warwick was being considered a top uni by some. And there were other threads too were Warwick just seems to get called out for having a high offer rate.

I know it's not as prestigious as the very very top unis but it's still pretty damn good for a lot of subjects. Even though it has a high offer rate, it's entry requirements are pretty high (A*AA for some courses) and it's generally great for career opportunities and stuff like that.

Warwick is a top uni in most subjects. People were irritated that it was considered a top uni in all aspects.

You mention the A*AA courses, right?

Well A*AA is pretty much the standard offer for at least 9/10 courses at Imperial. While UCL has a handful of courses with at least A*AA, such as history, natural sciences, medicine, psychology, maths, economics etc.

Warwick is a great university, though it doesn't belong in the G5 tier though.

1- Cambridge
2-Oxford
3-Imperial
4-LSE
5-UCL
6-Warwick

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that nearly all credible employers won't pick another candidate just because he goes to Oxbridge, imperial etc. They do consider experience, interview, degree classification, postgraduate experience, A Levels etc.

Going to any uni up there instead of another one (up there) won't have much of an impact on your job application. As I mentioned, there are many factors to distinguish candidates from each other, not just the name of a university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm serious go out there, try and get that high esteemed career you always wanted and you will soon find out, that degree you worked your arse off for the last several years doesn't mean much, as about literally 50,60,80 other people have the same degree and the company bigwigs will have first dibs on high up places for their own kids, hence nepotism. The main problem with university students is most of them have a real lack in work experience. There is such a thing as over educated and it's more about what character you have, not what bloody university you went to.

******** and an overgeneralisation on a monumental scale.
******** and an overgeneralisation on a monumental scale.

Look, whatever man just go to university.
Look, whatever man just go to university.

Very gladly.

Studying a STEM subject at one of the G5, First Class degree, a few internships done, plenty of good extra curricular activities. The companies I have interned have asked me to call them up for a job when I finish studying.
I must be doing something horribly wrong in your eyes. And no, I have no family relations with anyone in those companies :smile:
Very gladly.

Studying a STEM subject at one of the G5, First Class degree, a few internships done, plenty of good extra curricular activities. The companies I have interned have asked me to call them up for a job when I finish studying.
I must be doing something horribly wrong in your eyes. And no, I have no family relations with anyone in those companies :smile:

You're better off not bothering arguing with this guy honestly, the stuff he comes up with is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Warwick is a top uni in most subjects. People were irritated that it was considered a top uni in all aspects.

You mention the A*AA courses, right?

Well A*AA is pretty much the standard offer for at least 9/10 courses at Imperial. While UCL has a handful of courses with at least A*AA, such as history, natural sciences, medicine, psychology, maths, economics etc.

Warwick is a great university, though it doesn't belong in the G5 tier though.

1- Cambridge
2-Oxford
3-Imperial
4-LSE
5-UCL
6-Warwick

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that nearly all credible employers won't pick another candidate just because he goes to Oxbridge, imperial etc. They do consider experience, interview, degree classification, postgraduate experience, A Levels etc.

Going to any uni up there instead of another one (up there) won't have much of an impact on your job application. As I mentioned, there are many factors to distinguish candidates from each other, not just the name of a university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, UCL is not better than Warwick. They're equivalent and their entry requirements all add up to be the same, as is their student body.

Stop being extra with the whole G5, never heard of it. We all know that it goes Oxbridge then Imperial and LSE, THEN Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Edinburgh and King's.
Reply 108
Original post by DrSocSciences
Nope, not offended nor persuaded. I don't associate a dislike of sterile environments with the set of assumptions that you make. Perhaps this debate would be better informed once you've actually been to Warwick.

Definitely.

But...having already earned a degree from a place much more "sterile" than Warwick...I'm going to bet that life will go on.
Lol, UCL is not better than Warwick. They're equivalent and their entry requirements all add up to be the same, as is their student body.

Stop being extra with the whole G5, never heard of it. We all know that it goes Oxbridge then Imperial and LSE, THEN Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Edinburgh and King's.

"Entry requirements add up to be the same"?

Every mutual course between Warwick and UCL are either the same, or UCL ends up being higher.

At least you went on anonymous to save yourself embarrassment. It's the only smart thing about your post.

Oh yeah, and one more thing
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=22809

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=28387

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=12144

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952305

"We all know". Who's "We"? Clearly you're in the minority.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
"Entry requirements add up to be the same"?

Every mutual course between Warwick and UCL are either the same, or UCL ends up being higher.

At least you went on anonymous to save yourself embarrassment. It's the only smart thing about your post.

Oh yeah, and one more thing
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=22809

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=28387

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=12144

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952305

"We all know". Who's "We"? Clearly you're in the minority.

This is cute!

Using a 2012 post, plus a poll with such a small amount of votes- mostly of the same people voting each time.

Anon, just leave this comment aside, doesn't prove anything that this person is trying to say.

To the person who posted this, chill out, you seem so full of hatred- direct your anger elsewhere. #UCLDieHard

:biggrin: x
Just to clarify, I'm speaking to myself out loud so you can understand that whether it be Anon or not, I mean everyone is anon on here anyway, the point is LSE and Imperial are far above UCL and Warwick, but UCL isn't better than Warwick. So, why is it so hard to be peaceful on TSR and not start a war?
This is cute!

Using a 2012 post, plus a poll with such a small amount of votes- mostly of the same people voting each time.

Anon, just leave this comment aside, doesn't prove anything that this person is trying to say.

To the person who posted this, chill out, you seem so full of hatred- direct your anger elsewhere. #UCLDieHard

:biggrin: x

1. The numbers accumulate into the hundreds
2. A matter of years won't affect a university's prestige
3. I'm going to bed

You really are delusional! No one in their right mind would count UCL and Warwick in the same bracket. Lol. This is hilarious. You're probably a Warwick attendee or alum who's trying to massage their inflated ego by thinking that maybe secretly the world thinks Warwick is better or similar in rankings to UCL. Nest you're going to say Warwick is actually same as Oxbridge. Ha!
Time to wake up!
Original post by Princepieman
Look up the Fulbright Scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fulbright doesn't guarantee admission into any university - it just guarantees paying for a program at a university that you have been able to get into. I have two friends who have won the Fulbright scholarship one went to Columbia university and the other went to Thunderbird school of global management. There.
Original post by Scruffyjoe
Fulbright doesn't guarantee admission into any university - it just guarantees paying for a program at a university that you have been able to get into. I have two friends who have won the Fulbright scholarship one went to Columbia university and the other went to Thunderbird school of global management. There.

I know what the Fulbright programme is, if you read the other posts you'd probably see what the misunderstanding was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I know what the Fulbright programme is, if you read the other posts you'd probably see what the misunderstanding was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't seem like you did bro. Might want to google things before suggesting them maybe? x
Didn't seem like you did bro. Might want to google things before suggesting them maybe? x

The closest suggestion was the Fulbright Scholarship.. Unless you wanted me to make up some random scholarship for the user? Think you need to calm down on the douche-like responses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You really are delusional! No one in their right mind would count UCL and Warwick in the same bracket. Lol. This is hilarious. You're probably a Warwick attendee or alum who's trying to massage their inflated ego by thinking that maybe secretly the world thinks Warwick is better or similar in rankings to UCL. Nest you're going to say Warwick is actually same as Oxbridge. Ha!
Time to wake up!

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

Aww *ignore*