The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Current Sussex student ready to answer your questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ludd-sama
yh

What course was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Has anyone got their housing accomodation confirmed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
Hi there! I'm starting a foundation year in Social Sciences, and am a bit unsure what to expect/ What are class sizes/course numbers like? Is there a big variance in ages? Thanks :smile:
Original post by alily
Hi there! I'm starting a foundation year in Social Sciences, and am a bit unsure what to expect/ What are class sizes/course numbers like? Is there a big variance in ages? Thanks :smile:

don't expect much, it's a year of partying and discussing global problems haha
the seminar/workshop classes for most subjects have around 14 people, so you will have to participate. Most of the students in my classes were 18/19, however, there were a couple of students that were around 25, even 30 years old.
Original post by KayaRose
Hi there everyone!
I'm just finishing off my first year at Sussex. I would love to help you guys out by answering any questions you might have about the Uni!
ASK AWAY!!!

Hi, I'm going to be travelling to and from uni by train instead of boarding, do you think this will hinder my experience of uni?
HELP no accomodation or housemates so far?!!!!
Hi there everyone!
I'm just finishing off my first year at Sussex. I would love to help you guys out by answering any questions you might have about the Uni!
ASK AWAY!!!

Hi!
I plan to apply to Sussex Uni, but can't find any information about the library/libraries on its website. How have you found the resources and study-spaces it offers? How would you say it compares to other universities of the same standard?
Original post by natalie9rees
Hi!
I plan to apply to Sussex Uni, but can't find any information about the library/libraries on its website. How have you found the resources and study-spaces it offers? How would you say it compares to other universities of the same standard?

www.sussex.ac.uk/library/

24hrs a day, plenty of PCs, modern, cafe, so pretty good all considered
does anyone know anything about the social work course here? i live in west wales so cant go to the open day but still considering the uni
Does anyone live in university's student accomodation and have brought a car to sussex?
Heya! I think I have answered this in various forms earlier in the thread? I spend on average £120 a month on food (as a vegan) £20 a month on travel to and from Brighton. £50 a month on social activities. £40 a month on a pay as you go gym membership (this can be much cheaper if you buy one of the yearly memberships)
So I would say budget around £300 a month for comfortable living but I see students survive for a month on much less haha!

Hi,
How easy or hard would you say it is to be a vegan in Brighton? :smile:
Very easy in Brighton, lots of options, but not sure about the co-op on campus to buy from.
It's 20mins on bus into centre
Hey. Is there any opportunity to change course or module over Christmas? Like from one foundation year to another
Speak to your tutor or lead lecturer, and do it tomorrow. Depending what you want to swap from and to will depend how possible it is with the crossover for courses.
Spring lectures don't start till end of Jan so plenty of time but will need to start discussion
Original post by Colinj451
Speak to your tutor or lead lecturer, and do it tomorrow. Depending what you want to swap from and to will depend how possible it is with the crossover for courses.
Spring lectures don't start till end of Jan so plenty of time but will need to start discussion

But for example, if currently on the arts and humanities year, could I cross to psychology? I know I have no chance to swap to bioscience 😂 Or at the end of the year could I restart on another foundation year
Bear in mind you will have to be very clear about what you want to do and the reasons you want to swap, and effectively communicate them.
If you've chosen psychology optional modules then the switch to do that will be easier.
If you want to do biosciences then you may want to speak to the life sciences foundation admission tutor and see what they suggest.
Do switch into something you're not 100% committed to

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is computer science there?
Original post by fudgel*****le
Hey :h: I've applied for Psychology at 4 unis to start in September, and Sussex is one of them. Do you like the course? It seems to be a decent university when it comes to rankings. I haven't had a chance to visit, so what would you say the general atmosphere is like? I mean don't get me wrong the course is really important but the social side to uni, the nightlife and clubs are something I'm thinking about too haha. Thanks for helping :bl:

Hey! I'm applying for Psychology at Sussex too, and trust the night life is great :smile: And there is a night bus on campus to take students to and from Brighton for clubbing :tongue:
- Lauren xoxo
I applied with my A level grades of AAB and was offered a place. I know people on my course that got less then that and I'm pretty sure Sussex are quite lenient with the grade requirements especially if you put them as your firm choice.

Did you apply with your grades already achieved (applied after a gap year/deferred entry), or did you apply with an AAB prediction from your college/sixth form?

Also, how is Sussex uni's reputation? I know it is 22nd currentl, but I mean in terms of job prospects - is it a 'good 'uni' in the eyes of potential employers? Or is it just the case of 'another graduate with a degree from so-and-so Uni'?

Quick Reply

Latest