The Student Room Group

should multiple doping athletes be allowed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bananapeeler
Chill out, I don't get how you can be emotionally invested in this. I just said what was on my mind, don't cut me down for it

^ hun you've been like that the whole thread, if you make an opinion I have a right to make an opinion, you came come back at people when you're literally argued they're naive for not thinking the same as you.

' how can I argue against such a lightweight ' your reply to me when I said usain bolt don't dope hun, it's obvious, you disagree with any proof they're not doping.
Original post by elmosandy
^ hun you've been like that the whole thread, if you make an opinion I have a right to make an opinion, you came come back at people when you're literally argued they're naive for not thinking the same as you.

' how can I argue against such a lightweight ' your reply to me when I said usain bolt don't dope hun, it's obvious, you disagree with any proof they're not doping.

dude look, I said "how can i argue against such a watertight argument" because your reply was like 5 words long and just said "usain bolt doesn't dope hun" - come on, what kind of an argument is that? This is a discussion, there are no rights and wrongs and I'm open to other points of view - it's just that you barely have any substance to your ideas at all
dude look, I said "how can i argue against such a watertight argument" because your reply was like 5 words long and just said "usain bolt doesn't dope hun" - come on, what kind of an argument is that? This is a discussion, there are no rights and wrongs and I'm open to other points of view - it's just that you barely have any substance to your ideas at all

You're calling every medal winner a doper because reaching a certain standard is impossible and you're talking about substance?
Do you even realise that some olympic/ world class standards back in 1984 would be considered recreational club standard by athletes today ( more national standard, but you get the point ) and you're saying medal winners breaking olympic records which were set by drug cheats 20 years ago are doping?
and then you can't comprehend why people are ripping into you so hard ???

It wasn't an argument, it was a discussion, more an opinion and yet you clearly just want to automatically rebuke anyones point of view who disagrees with you with an argument. Anyways i'm tired, if you believe they all are, just simply stop following the olympics then?
(edited 7 years ago)
You're calling every medal winner a doper because reaching a certain standard is impossible and you're talking about substance?
Do you even realise that some olympic/ world class standards back in 1984 would be considered recreational club standard by athletes today and you're saying medal winners breaking olympic records which were set by drug cheats 20 years ago are doping?
and then you can't comprehend why people are ripping into you so hard ???

It wasn't an argument, it was a discussion, more an opinion and yet you clearly just want to automatically rebuke anyones point of view who disagrees with you with an argument. Anyways i'm tired, if you believe they all are, just simply stop following the olympics then?

Why are you acting so hostile, jesus - nobody's attacking you so you can ease up a bit. I DONT watch the olympics, and I gave counterpoints to further the discussion. I don't mean to come across like I think I was irrefutably right, because I don't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why are you acting so hostile, jesus - nobody's attacking you so you can ease up a bit. I DONT watch the olympics, and I gave counterpoints to further the discussion. I didn't mean to come across like I think I was irrefutably right, because I don't.

Some records which were olympic class records and standards back 20 year old are attenable by the best young athletes of this country
Lets look at the world record in 800m for women in 1971 : 1.58.5 so the rest of the field were probably making under 2.10, 2.10 probably being the world standard- that is a achievable by the best u17 athletes of the UK today ( 2.10 achievable by probably top 20 athletes), so what for example lets say the 1.58.5 and whoever came 2nd and 3rd were doping.. does this mean all u17 athletes are doping then , because they reached the standard of olympic standards of 1971 (which you your view, olympic heights can only be reached by doping), standards of over 2/30 years ago? They're certainly not doping, and I don't know where they can get the drugs from. tbh.

You're talking about people not having any substance to their argument, yet the logic in your argument is not accurate.
Some records which were olympic class records and standards back 20 year old are attenable by the best young athletes of this country
Lets look at the world record in 800m for women in 1971 : 1.58.5 so the rest of the field were probably making under 2.10, 2.10 probably being the world standard- that is a achievable by the best u17 athletes of the UK today ( 2.10 achievable by probably top 20 athletes), so what for example lets say the 1.58.5 and whoever came 2nd and 3rd were doping.. does this mean all u17 athletes are doping then , because they reached the standard of olympic standards of 1971 (which you your view, olympic heights can only be reached by doping), standards of over 2/30 years ago? They're certainly not doping, and I don't know where they can get the drugs from. tbh.

You're talking about people not having any substance to their argument, yet the logic in your argument is not accurate.

U17s athletes can easily access drugs if they really wanted/have the correct links. A lot of the improvement over the years probably comes from the advancement in sports science though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
U17s athletes can easily access drugs if they really wanted/have the correct links. A lot of the improvement over the years probably comes from the advancement in sports science though

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's clear you haven't been a athlete from making that statement and NO I don't care about your steroid friends or whatever.

What the point is that times have gone faster over the years so to say athletes have doped because they broke from 20 years ago is ridiculous.
It's clear you haven't been a athlete from making that statement and NO I don't care about your steroid friends or whatever.

What the point is that times have gone faster over the years so to say athletes have doped because they broke from 20 years ago is ridiculous.

I addressed your second paragraph already, and I maintain PEDs are accessible provided you have the desire+right connections

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Where are you getting those numbers from? "probably" isn't a source.. My comparison was to a Chinese runner from 20 years ago who set a record shortly before being found to be doped up. Any record that stands for over 20 years is incredible, and THAT record was absolutely smashed a few days ago. My point was - don't you think that's in the least bit suspicious? Human beings haven't somehow evolved to be faster runners in the last 40 years, developed training techniques and genetics can only go so far.
I addressed your second paragraph already, and I maintain that access to PEDs isn't particularly complicated provided you have the desire+right connections

Posted from TSR Mobile

Advancment in sport science what you insinuating?

& yes it is, 2.10- isn't seen as an olympic/world/european/class standard, just a national one, it's not really a time that makes conections think 'oooh! you know what I think you could be an Olympian right now with a bit of help', it's not a time at all, just a national one. There isn't really connections for u17 to make to have doping access or een coaches at that level because national or not it's just seen as club , recreational heights, nothing more, I don't know where the right conections would be at this level, you just don't understand. And yes, trust me, there is a lot of athletes who would badly want to get to the medal table, no matter how what, at club level.
Advancment in sport science what you insinuating?

& yes it is, 2.10- isn't seen as an olympic/world/european/class standard, just a national one, it's not really a time that makes conections think 'oooh! you know what I think you could be an Olympian right now with a bit of help', it's not a time at all, just a national one. There isn't really connections for u17 to make to have doping access or een coaches at that level because national or not it's just seen as club , recreational heights, nothing more, I don't know where the right conections would be at this level, you just don't understand. And yes, trust me, there is a lot of athletes who would badly want to get to the medal table, no matter how what, at club level.

People research how to improve performance in sport, I'm not insinuating anything. This field is significantly more advanced than 30 years ago, hence athletes are in better shape than they would be if they competed back then. I'm not quite sure why you thought I was implying PEDs when I mentioned this.

Drugs can literally be bought off the internet if you search correctly (no i haven't tried this myself) so again, even if at that age they aren't particularly inclined to using PEDs, they are capable of obtaining them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People research how to improve performance in sport, I'm not insinuating anything. This field is significantly more advanced than 30 years ago, hence athletes are in better shape than they would be if they competed back then. I'm not quite sure why you thought I was implying PEDs when I mentioned this.

Drugs can literally be bought off the internet if you search correctly (no i haven't tried this myself) so again, even if at that age they aren't particularly inclined to using PEDs, they are capable of obtaining them.

So?

I'm capable of killing you, but I don't. Yet the way you talk makes me think you still want to call me a murderer.
Reply 72
Let's be real though, it also heavily depends on the country. Take a country like Kenya, poor. That means that 1. athletes have more motivation to dope, so to win more, so to get money, and 2. officials have more incentive to get bribed to manipulate testing. Ruth Jebet, the Kenyan starting for Bahrain at last year's world championship ran a time of ca. 09:30 in the 3000m steeplechase. A year later she runs the second fastest ever time of a woman, only behind a very clear Russian dope cheat, and over half a minute faster than her time last year. Yea, she trained so hard she managed to go half a minute faster :rolleyes:

So the point is, certain countries have much stricter and much better testing in place than others, too. There need to be some very drastic changes in sporting. And yes, that would include starting to test young athletes. If you are good and do well at youth competitions, get tested. If you suddenly appear out of nowhere with amazing times/distances/feats, get tested. And there must be much more severe punishments, otherwise what's the deterrent.
Original post by Drewski
So?

I'm capable of killing you, but I don't. Yet the way you talk makes me think you still want to call me a murderer.

I'm not really sure where this came from, because that is nothing at all like what I'm saying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by inhuman
Let's be real though, it also heavily depends on the country. Take a country like Kenya, poor. That means that 1. athletes have more motivation to dope, so to win more, so to get money, and 2. officials have more incentive to get bribed to manipulate testing. Ruth Jebet, the Kenyan starting for Bahrain at last year's world championship ran a time of ca. 09:30 in the 3000m steeplechase. A year later she runs the second fastest ever time of a woman, only behind a very clear Russian dope cheat, and over half a minute faster than her time last year. Yea, she trained so hard she managed to go half a minute faster :rolleyes:

So the point is, certain countries have much stricter and much better testing in place than others, too. There need to be some very drastic changes in sporting. And yes, that would include starting to test young athletes. If you are good and do well at youth competitions, get tested. If you suddenly appear out of nowhere with amazing times/distances/feats, get tested. And there must be much more severe punishments, otherwise what's the deterrent.

I've trained hard and moved athletic coaches and suddenly improved, was I doping ? And youth competitions aren't really nothing, if you knew anything about the athletics world you would know people can improve drastically overtime with the right coaches and training/exercise this is stupid.
I feel like a lot of you are missing the point. These people trained their entire lives to become the best in a sport where the majority of people dope - they have no choice but to join them, otherwise their entire life's work is wasted. What about those using undetectable PEDs who continue to dominate? Lance Armstrong, Usain Bolt, etc, etc. People look the other way because they're figureheads and the hypocrisy has ****ed up the entire industry imo

Usain Bolt? If he is doping it would break my heart!!!!
Reply 76
I've trained hard and moved athletic coaches and suddenly improved, was I doping ? And youth competitions aren't really nothing, if you knew anything about the athletics world you would know people can improve drastically overtime with the right coaches and training/exercise this is stupid.

Half a minute in less than 12 months? Meanwhile other (also young) competitors improve but at a much slower rate?

Katinka Hosszu at the age of 23 doesn't win at London, fast forward to 2013 and suddenly she a) competes in more events at swim meets than before and than others and b) dominates those and c) broke 6 world records?

Ahahahaha.
Original post by inhuman
Half a minute in less than 12 months? Meanwhile other (also young) competitors improve but at a much slower rate?

Katinka Hosszu at the age of 23 doesn't win at London, fast forward to 2013 and suddenly she a) competes in more events at swim meets than before and than others and b) dominates those and c) broke 6 world records?

Ahahahaha.

I was a 2.27.3 standard when I was running at a club level, fast forward two months and I upped my time to 2.15.2 with top ranking in the UK u15 2012, if I was doping, everyone else is, you know nothing about athletics and improvement. Training and good coach does wonders it can.
I was a 2.27.3 standard when I was running at a club level, fast forward two months and I upped my time to 2.15.2 with top ranking in the UK u15 2012, if I was doping, everyone else is, you know nothing about athletics and improvement. Training and good coach does wonders it can.

Why would any 15 year old dope...all you've said is you're pretty good amongst a bunch of undeveloped kids. It's not comparable to the world class level of running, where they're so close to their physical limits that shaving 30 seconds off their time is almost unimaginable.
Original post by inhuman

Ahahahaha.

Not unusual and not the first.

But, sceptics gonna sceptic.

Quick Reply

Latest