The Student Room Group

Sports an individual is most likely to be picked for if they start at 18?

Now I'm well aware that most olympic athlethes have atleast 10 years of experience before even competing but say if someone wanted to try,what do you think is the easiest sport to master and likely to get picked for team GB?

Personally think it could be golf...i feel like its more about technique than physical prowess,obvious something like athletics would be highly unlikely due to the high intensity training needed
(edited 7 years ago)
air rifle
Reply 2
Original post by scrawlx101
Now I'm well aware that most olympic athlethes have atleast 10 years of experience before even competing but say if someone wanted to try,what do you think is the easiest sport to master and likely to get picked for team GB?

Personally think it could be golf...i feel like its more about technique than physical prowess,obvious something like athletics would be highly unlikely due to the high intensity training needed

Not golf. You'd have to be a touring pro and the among the top ranked players in the country. For Team GB that basically means you'd have to be a major winner (look at who represented us in Rio, one guy had won The Masters, the other - who won gold - had won the US PGA).

And bear in mind that you'd have to meet an international standard for qualification, so there's no easy way in.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think it can be done with a lot of the Winter sports - and generally sports we're not that good at as a nation.

The sports we're good at and the team sports, I would say there is much less chance just because of the competition. Swimming and cycling certainly you'd have to be an absolute superhero to get in if you came in late. Also the team sports are things that people have been doing since school and been through all sorts of academies and national programmes - so hockey and rugby would be out.

Speaking of technical skills, I also doubt that you could become a competitive sailor without years of experience.

I reckon things that rely on immense fitness might be doable - team rowing and the lifting where you wouldn't necessarily have too many years in it as a kid.

I'd say the following might be possible - not to say it wouldn't be mega hard:

rowing
lifting
volleyball
handball
some winter sports
wrestling and maybe judo if it was your life
some athletics
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
I think it can be done with a lot of the Winter sports - and generally sports we're not that good at as a nation.

The sports we're good at and the team sports, I would say there is much less chance just because of the competition. Swimming and cycling certainly you'd have to be an absolute superhero to get in if you came in late. Also the team sports are things that people have been doing since school and been through all sorts of academies and national programmes - so hockey and rugby would be out.

Speaking of technical skills, I also doubt that you could become a competitive sailor without years of experience.

I reckon things that rely on immense fitness might be doable - team rowing and the lifting where you wouldn't necessarily have too many years in it as a kid.

I'd say the following might be possible - not to say it wouldn't be mega hard:

rowing
lifting
volleyball
handball
some winter sports
wrestling and maybe judo if it was your life
some athletics

do u we even have teams for those?

and for winter sports - what specifically?

disagree with athletics since most of these people with a shot are scouted from mad early
Reply 5

Winter sports often gets trotted out in these kinds of discussions, but ever since Eddie the Eagle it's simply not that possible. We actually have lots of very fit, very talented winter sports people (a lot of them are in the armed forces who gives them time off to train) but they simply don't meet the standards set to get into the Olympics, let alone win the thing.
do u we even have teams for those?

We did in London. Probably didn't qualify for Rio. But the teams exist, they're just not good enough to be there.

and for winter sports - what specifically?

Dunno. You see a lot of people who just took up skeleton and bobsled etc from the Army and stuff. I doubt many people in GB took up wintersports except skiing as children.

disagree with athletics since most of these people with a shot are scouted from mad early

Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure that Adam Gemili was a football player until he went to university.
Original post by Drewski
Winter sports often gets trotted out in these kinds of discussions, but ever since Eddie the Eagle it's simply not that possible. We actually have lots of very fit, very talented winter sports people (a lot of them are in the armed forces who gives them time off to train) but they simply don't meet the standards set to get into the Olympics, let alone win the thing.

Right, but they start in the Army presumably as a hobby or something? They don't do skeleton or luge because they've been training since the age of 10.
Reply 8
Right, but they start in the Army presumably as a hobby or something? They don't do skeleton or luge because they've been training since the age of 10.

Theres a programme in the UK called Talent ID, it looks at prospective sportsmen and women and angles them towards sports they should be good at. It's what happened to Helen Glover in 2008. She got put into rowing. At London 2012 she won gold.

Generally speaking, those in the forces who go on to do winter sports at a high level have had the same kind of scouting.

But no, generally speaking people in this country won't have been doing winter sports since they were small, with the possible exception of skiing and skating, but that still doesn't make them 'easy' to get good at and to qualify for the Olympics.
Original post by Drewski
Theres a programme in the UK called Talent ID, it looks at prospective sportsmen and women and angles them towards sports they should be good at. It's what happened to Helen Glover in 2008. She got put into rowing. At London 2012 she won gold.

Generally speaking, those in the forces who go on to do winter sports at a high level have had the same kind of scouting.

But no, generally speaking people in this country won't have been doing winter sports since they were small, with the possible exception of skiing and skating, but that still doesn't make them 'easy' to get good at and to qualify for the Olympics.

Oh yh. There's no doubt about that. I would never have said anything about easy. The question was whether or not it could be done if you didn't start young
whats a good sport for a lad whose 6 ft 2 and 72kg and fairly skinny? not particularly fast/reactive or strong/decent stamina/average hand eye coordination? all this olympic stuff has inspired me :smile:
whats a good sport for a lad whose 6 ft 2 and 72kg and fairly skinny? not particularly fast/reactive or strong/decent stamina/average hand eye coordination? all this olympic stuff has inspired me :smile:

The one you enjoy the most.
Original post by Drewski
The one you enjoy the most.

Aye.

A realistic aim of mine is to roughly break the top 100 in the UK in my sport (there's no absolute way of being top 100). I mostly train 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day in winter. Going from my level to the Olympics is like going from here to the moon. I'd need not just a tenfold increase in training, but to make myself physiologically comparable to an equivalent Olympic athlete, I'd frankly need to wave a magic wand.

So yes be inspired but to realistically harbour those kinds of hopes you really ****ing need to enjoy the sport.
How about weightlifting?

Not too technical really. Basically a contest of who can train the hardest.

Definitely not golf, yes the pro tour may be full of fat rich bastards but most of them will have been playing golf since they were kids. Requires a lot of skill.

Quick Reply

Latest