The Student Room Group

should multiple doping athletes be allowed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Who else is going to pay? Inevitably the cost will be passed onto the athletes in one way or another.

And yeah, some countries are, frankly, crap. But I don't really care what happens in their own country. Let the national record holder of that country do whatever the hell they want if they're prepared to let them get away with it, but make sure at international level that the tests are rigourous, detailed and all-encompassing.

And yes, agree that guilty = ban for life but with caveats. As previously mentioned in this thread Alan Baxter was a British downhill skier who won bronze at Salt Lake City in 2002, but tested positive for a banned substance after having used Vic's Vapourub which, in the US, has different ingredients to the UK version, one of which was on the banned substance list. That's an innocent mistake and shouldn't get treated the same was as those who deliberately and knowingly take steroids or engage in blood doping.

Of course there should be a case by case ethics committee, but the fact is that things like HGH, steroids, anabolica, EPO, are not found in products you might use accidentally.

And no, that's the whole point. There are two types of doping, one that lets you train harder, better, longer. And one that you use during competition. There are PEDs that if you get off them before, they won't show up during international meets where you are tested regularly. But your entire training will have had that benefit. You need strict testing throughout the year. Not just at meets.
Original post by inhuman
Of course there should be a case by case ethics committee, but the fact is that things like HGH, steroids, anabolica, EPO, are not found in products you might use accidentally.

And no, that's the whole point. There are two types of doping, one that lets you train harder, better, longer. And one that you use during competition. There are PEDs that if you get off them before, they won't show up during international meets where you are tested regularly. But your entire training will have had that benefit. You need strict testing throughout the year. Not just at meets.

There is out of competition testing, athletes are required to give their ADA their whereabouts at specific times so they can be subject to random testing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
There is out of competition testing, athletes are required to give their ADA their whereabouts at specific times so they can be subject to random testing

Posted from TSR Mobile

And there is no way a Kenyan ex chief of athletics can take money from athletes in return telling these athletes when, where and by who they will be tested? Or Russian doping labs manipulating samples?

No mate, you need regular testing at independent centres with clear accountability of the process.
Original post by Bananapeeler
It's unrealistic to think that someone can be a dominant number one world class athlete in a sport, competing against other world class athletes who are taking PEDs, and not also be taking something. Everyone at that level is genetically gifted and works insanely hard. They also care so much about winning that they would inject fermented cat piss into their eyeballs 3x a day if it gave them an edge. I doubt there has been a single medal winner in the past 20 years that hasn't used multiple banned steroids.

This everyday of the week.

A good rule of the thumb, is if someones life revolves around their body or they make a living from their physical performance, they are almost certainly taking PEDS.

There may be one or two insanely genetic outliers, but these will be the severe minority.

But when you're talking about the best in the world, there's no question.
Original post by inhuman
And there is no way a Kenyan ex chief of athletics can take money from athletes in return telling these athletes when, where and by who they will be tested? Or Russian doping labs manipulating samples?

No mate, you need regular testing at independent centres with clear accountability of the process.

There isn't enough money in Anti doping agencies to do this sort of thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
There isn't enough money in Anti doping agencies to do this sort of thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then the individual federations must put more money into it.
Original post by inhuman

No, but they are also things you might take innocently.

I have a medical condition called Ulcerative colitis. The treatment for which is, in part, steroids. So for the past 3 months I've been taking a gradually reducing dose. According to you I could now never be a pro athlete...

(We will, for the moment, ignore my complete lack of professional level athletic skills!)
Original post by inhuman

And where do they get the money from...?
Original post by inhuman

again, they lack the money for it, even the WADA is underfunded, so it's hard for them to keep up with doping

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
No, but they are also things you might take innocently.

I have a medical condition called Ulcerative colitis. The treatment for which is, in part, steroids. So for the past 3 months I've been taking a gradually reducing dose. According to you I could now never be a pro athlete...

(We will, for the moment, ignore my complete lack of professional level athletic skills!)

If you are taking steroids medically, I would assume you would inform the anti-doping agency of this...

You would not wait for the test, get tested positive and then say, oh wait, I forgot to tell you, I need these for my condition.
Original post by inhuman
If you are taking steroids medically, I would assume you would inform the anti-doping agency of this...

You would not wait for the test, get tested positive and then say, oh wait, I forgot to tell you, I need these for my condition.

But, as you say, these things have long term effects. Would I be banned indefinitely until it can be proven I'm not getting any performance enhancement? And if so, how would this be proven?

Drug enforcement is not as much of a black and white issue you make it to be.
Original post by Drewski
But, as you say, these things have long term effects. Would I be banned indefinitely until it can be proven I'm not getting any performance enhancement? And if so, how would this be proven?

Drug enforcement is not as much of a black and white issue you make it to be.

But neither is it as complicated as you make it out to be. It should always, ALWAYS, be upon the guy taking the substance to prove he needs it.

Right now, the innocent until guilty is not working out.
Original post by inhuman
But neither is it as complicated as you make it out to be. It should always, ALWAYS, be upon the guy taking the substance to prove he needs it.

Right now, the innocent until guilty is not working out.

But then you get occasions like Simon Yates, the British grand tour cyclist who's been banned for 6 months because his team, in error, gave him something that was on the banned list. He's been banned for something that wasn't his fault (his team owned up to it immediately) and the team have been banned.

At the other end of the spectrum you get Rio Ferdinand who was banned for 9 months for missing 1 test.

It's not very well thought out at the moment, which is half the problem.
Original post by inhuman
Well then make it so that you can say I don't want to get tested, but in return you say you forgo a "professional" career. You don't not get tested and by the time you are in your mid 20s you trained like mad while on drugs and suddenly can compete at the Olympics.

And I am sorry, but in light of everything, I just have a very sinister view of some athletes from certain countries.

So basically everyone is doping. :smile:
Original post by Platinum213
This everyday of the week.

A good rule of the thumb, is if someones life revolves around their body or they make a living from their physical performance, they are almost certainly taking PEDS.

There may be one or two insanely genetic outliers, but these will be the severe minority.

But when you're talking about the best in the world, there's no question.

That's just stupid.
Original post by Drewski
Who else is going to pay? Inevitably the cost will be passed onto the athletes in one way or another.

Honestly, you don't know how athletics work, athletes that age can improve by a great amount it is not uncommon,@inhuman try pushing your agenda into the athletic world for youth performances, and no one will listen to you, because time gaps can be achieved regularly without PEDs
(edited 7 years ago)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471377243.051950.jpg
Just to add some fuel to the "Is Bolt clean or not?" Debate.....

Also just in case my own viewpoint:
No clue if he's doping or not, don't particularly care, fantastic athlete and showman regardless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elmosandy
So basically everyone is doping. :smile:

No.

But in my opinion athletes from certain nations should automatically be under suspicion and do the utmost to prove they are not like their compatriots.
Original post by elmosandy
That's just stupid.

Ignorance is bliss for those that don't understand.

I know a ton of successful AMATEUR athletes, fitness models etc.

99% use AAS or cutting compounds (diuretics etc).

And there are amateur, you think you can be the best in the world without this lmao.

The naivety of the average person when it comes to sports and drug use is astounding.
Those that criticise Tyson Gay for doping lmao - EVERY sprinter in the olympics used peds, and the majority of other sports.

Even things like archery, shooting etc use things like nootropics that enhance focus, beta-blockers to reduce nerves.
Wake up, Its not a bad thing. I don't get how people want to see the best of the best, and records broken, but then turn their nose up at drug use - they go hand in hand.
Original post by Platinum213
Ignorance is bliss for those that don't understand.

I know a ton of successful AMATEUR athletes, fitness models etc.

99% use AAS or cutting compounds (diuretics etc).

And there are amateur, you think you can be the best in the world without this lmao.

The naivety of the average person when it comes to sports and drug use is astounding.
Those that criticise Tyson Gay for doping lmao - EVERY sprinter in the olympics used peds, and the majority of other sports.

Even things like archery, shooting etc use things like nootropics that enhance focus, beta-blockers to reduce nerves.
Wake up, Its not a bad thing. I don't get how people want to see the best of the best, and records broken, but then turn their nose up at drug use - they go hand in hand.

^ amateur as in athletic recreational competitions or? fitness models and bodybuilders are not really the same catatory - which is why no one really calls them out for their doping or if they do I haven't heard of it.

I can safely tell you from experience that I will never ( without intention ) dope - and I have shared my times and experiences as a u15 athlete without doping. I do think people doping is more notorious in the sports world than we're aware of, but I don't and cannot say everyone is. Goodbye.

Quick Reply

Latest