The Student Room Group

How much studying should you be doing outwith school time for your Highers?

So school starts back tomorrow and this year I would like to make more effort. I'm not someone who needs to do an awful lot of studying, I basically studied the day before all my N5 exams and got 7 A's and 2 B's, which is pretty good considering how little I did but I was capable of 9 A's and this year I don't want to make the same mistake.
So yeah how much studying should I be doing for my Highers outwith school time? Our prelims are in January so when should I start seriously studying for them? Any advice is appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ___Sophie___
So school starts back tomorrow and this year I would like to make more effort. I'm not someone who needs to do an awful lot of studying, I basically studied the day before all my N5 exams and got 6 A's and 3 B's, which is pretty good considering how little I did but I was capable of 9 A's and this year I don't want to make the same mistake.
So yeah how much studying should I be doing for my Highers outwith school time? Our prelims are in January so when should I start seriously studying for them? Any advice is appreciated.

The first time I remember seriously studying for Highers was during the October break, when I was doing past papers on topics we'd covered in all my subjects and beginning to re-write my notes from the beginning and making flash cards, etc.

I would say don't start stressing/studying a lot immediately, because then you're at risk of burning out too soon, but definitely start the past paper questions during - if not before - October. I think before the new year I was spending a couple hours (3/4) studying at the weekends, then after the new year when the pace picked up I was probably at double that. It is a lot of hard work, but I'd definitely say you're capable if you did so well in your nat 5's :biggrin:

I'd also recommend buying the How To Pass / BrightRed study guides if you haven't already and try and read through the topics before you learn them in class, so you have an existing idea on what it is you're learning about, and it should make it easier to understand when you're getting taught.

Highers are a lot more demanding than nat 5's, so basically the sooner you get started, the more prepared you'll be and the better you'll do in the long run.

Good luck!
Original post by rebeccas23
The first time I remember seriously studying for Highers was during the October break, when I was doing past papers on topics we'd covered in all my subjects and beginning to re-write my notes from the beginning and making flash cards, etc.

I would say don't start stressing/studying a lot immediately, because then you're at risk of burning out too soon, but definitely start the past paper questions during - if not before - October. I think before the new year I was spending a couple hours (3/4) studying at the weekends, then after the new year when the pace picked up I was probably at double that. It is a lot of hard work, but I'd definitely say you're capable if you did so well in your nat 5's :biggrin:

I'd also recommend buying the How To Pass / BrightRed study guides if you haven't already and try and read through the topics before you learn them in class, so you have an existing idea on what it is you're learning about, and it should make it easier to understand when you're getting taught.

Highers are a lot more demanding than nat 5's, so basically the sooner you get started, the more prepared you'll be and the better you'll do in the long run.

Good luck!

Yeah that seems like a good amount. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
So school starts back tomorrow and this year I would like to make more effort. I'm not someone who needs to do an awful lot of studying, I basically studied the day before all my N5 exams and got 6 A's and 3 B's, which is pretty good considering how little I did but I was capable of 9 A's and this year I don't want to make the same mistake.

I mean everyone is diff so just start when u feel the need to. But judging from your post I'd say perhaps a couple hours before the exam.
Original post by Puppo
I mean everyone is diff so just start when u feel the need to. But judging from your post I'd say perhaps a couple hours before the exam.

Lol yeah I probably could get away with that, wouldn't get straight A's but would defo pass them all but yeah doing such a small amount of studying is too risky and leaves me worrying so this year I'm doing more
Reply 5
My teachers said 2hrs a day extra revision- tbh I didn't do that (more like half an hour a day + tons of homework). So just revise a lot during holidays.exam leave and you should be fine.
Original post by Yammy
My teachers said 2hrs a day extra revision- tbh I didn't do that (more like half an hour a day + tons of homework). So just revise a lot during holidays.exam leave and you should be fine.

2 hours in total I assume? not per subject? Seems like a good amount but yeah I will see how it goes and how much homework I get.
Reply 7
2 hours in total I assume? not per subject? Seems like a good amount but yeah I will see how it goes and how much homework I get.

Yeah 2 hours general revision in total, can be a mix of different subjects. I think it can be a good way to reconsolidate what you have learnt in class. But if you are given a lot of homework already then I say don't bother that much.

Edit: Also don't get too stressed about prelims, they hardly matter anymore. Pace yourself throughout the year so you can get good grades in the final exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Yammy
Yeah 2 hours general revision in total, can be a mix of different subjects. I think it can be a good way to reconsolidate what you have learnt in class. But if you are given a lot of homework already then I say don't bother that much.

Edit: Also don't get too stressed about prelims, they hardly matter anymore. Pace yourself throughout the year so you can get good grades in the final exams.

Yeah 2 hours a day seems like a pretty good amount depending on how much homework I have and I agree that prelims don't really have much of a purpose since you can't appeal anymore unfortunately.
Thank you! :smile:
Yeah 2 hours a day seems like a pretty good amount depending on how much homework I have and I agree that prelims don't really have much of a purpose since you can't appeal anymore unfortunately.
Thank you! :smile:

I did 2 hours of revision everyday and until mid November time I started properly revising for my prelims. For exams I started revising end of february/start of March and came out with good results, but I definitely wouldn't recommend revising a day before your higher exams aha
Reply 10
Remember, It's not about much time you study but rather the quality of your studying time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I did 2 hours of revision everyday and until mid November time I started properly revising for my prelims. For exams I started revising end of february/start of March and came out with good results, but I definitely wouldn't recommend revising a day before your higher exams aha

Yeah I think I'll try and do the same as you, seems like a good amount, thanks :smile:
Original post by JP298
Remember, It's not about much time you study but rather the quality of your studying time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah true
Reply 13
It really depends on the person. I didn't revise for my Standard Grades due to illness and walked out with 2's and 3's. I returned to college last year and I sat two Highers; English and Psychology and Nat 5 Maths as it's what I needed for the courses I was looking at.

I knew that I would need to revise as I had been out of the education system for 12 years. But, maths was by far my worst subject. I actually didn't revise for English (got a B, but had A in prelim) or Psychology (got an A with 88/100 marks) and put all my time into maths (averagely 3-4 hours 5 days a week starting about 4 weeks before the exam) and got my B (which I needed).

However, my friend was doing 4 hours a night split up over her three subjects for 6 days a week from about December. But that's what worked for her.
I would say that to get really good grades like 5A's then you should study steadily throughout the year using 'How to Pass' books as well past papers. How to Pass are awesome for your notes and give you example answers- I can't praise them enough!!

Personally I did 4 highers, I only revised the week before the prelims and got BBBB, then revised around 4 hours per day from that point until my actual exams and got AAAC (so take what you'd like from that!)
Original post by Emizi
It really depends on the person. I didn't revise for my Standard Grades due to illness and walked out with 2's and 3's. I returned to college last year and I sat two Highers; English and Psychology and Nat 5 Maths as it's what I needed for the courses I was looking at.

I knew that I would need to revise as I had been out of the education system for 12 years. But, maths was by far my worst subject. I actually didn't revise for English (got a B, but had A in prelim) or Psychology (got an A with 88/100 marks) and put all my time into maths (averagely 3-4 hours 5 days a week starting about 4 weeks before the exam) and got my B (which I needed).

However, my friend was doing 4 hours a night split up over her three subjects for 6 days a week from about December. But that's what worked for her.

Yeah I do agree that it does depend on the person
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
I would say that to get really good grades like 5A's then you should study steadily throughout the year using 'How to Pass' books as well past papers. How to Pass are awesome for your notes and give you example answers- I can't praise them enough!!

Personally I did 4 highers, I only revised the week before the prelims and got BBBB, then revised around 4 hours per day from that point until my actual exams and got AAAC (so take what you'd like from that!)

Yeah I'll definitely try and study steadily during the year so that I'll have a lot less to do when it's nearing exam time
Looking back at National 5's I'm like pfft lol. I think you could get away with 2 weeks worth of revision at NAT 5 lol :P Although I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is doing Nationals this year.

For Higher though, it's a different ball game... But not by much :biggrin: For me anyway.

I'm doing 5 Highers this year and I'll start to look over my notes next week and then I'll start past paper revision around mid-september. I'll buy some of those Gibson and how to pass books as well although throughout national 5 I only bought the Gibson books.

Tbh it will vary person to person. I'm aiming for straight A's like this year, So you have to show a bit of commitment you know.
Looking at subjects like Maths and Chemistry I can already see it's quite a big step, So plenty of revision will be needed.

I don't know how much time I'll be spending though... Will see next week.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
I cannot stress this enough: it is not about how long you study, it is about how you study.
Personally, I pissed about the whole year and only studied before the prelims and a few weeks before the finals and got 5 A's.
What you should do is understand everything that you are taught in class so that you can revise seamlessly.
When you do revise, find a style that works for you. I myself just prefer to read over textbooks and do practise questions.
Also, you don't need to do past papers until a few weeks before the actual exam.
Original post by JP298

^^^^^

I spent the weekend before Higher Bio reading the first Harry Potter book in its entirety and still walked away with an A1 :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending