The Student Room Group

What's so good about Spirited Away?

Last night I watched Spirited Away for the first time. And yes, whilst it was conceptually interesting and beautifully drawn, I didn't for one minute think it deserved it's spot at #29 on the IMDB Top 250. There was no character development, storyline or defining 'moment' of the movie, like most of the films up on that list.

So, enlighten me, why does Spirited Away deserve the critical acclaim it has received?

Reply 1
Original post by Nirgilis
Last night I watched Spirited Away for the first time. And yes, whilst it was conceptually interesting and beautifully drawn, I didn't for one minute think it deserved it's spot at #29 on the IMDB Top 250. There was no character development, storyline or defining 'moment' of the movie, like most of the films up on that list.

So, enlighten me, why does Spirited Away deserve the critical acclaim it has received?

For me, the escapism and spirit of the story was something I don't think has ever been matched. I remember at the end, I looked up at the time and didn't even realise that two hours had gone. The story meanders in a weird and wonderful way that can't be replicated by anything outside of Studio Ghibli. I agree that the characters don't have that much depth, but they add just enough to the plot that it doesn't become about them; personally, I absolutely love the simplicity of the character development and I think it helps focus on a great plot. In short, every time I watch Spirited Away it takes me back to that magical summer day way back when I first watched it. It's one of my favourite films of all time.
SPOILERS BELOW FOR BITS THROUGHOUT THE FILM

Spoiler

I know you've probably moved on in life by this point BUT I've watched Spirited Away 3 times now and after the first time I was exactly like you, I didn't understand why it is as popular as it is. After watching other Studio Ghibli films and thoroughly enjoying them I gave it another chance and I started to get the hype.

There are lots of little bits which make this film really good (not going to go into too much detail) which I don't know how any one could come up with them but it makes it a really magical experience! I hope you choose to give it another chance like I did but will understand if not :smile:
Reply 4
OP sounds terribly pretentious
I don't rate it that much either, seen it probably 3 or 4 times? I think it is good film, just not as good as iMDB has rated it. I feel like it is not a character based movie but more about the fantasy and adventure. It is quite odd tbh. I much prefer The Cat Returns :tongue:
I know what you mean. A good film sure, and beautiful to watch, but not one of the best ever.
I didn't watched yet.
Reply 8

p

Critics probably love that Spirited Away is much deeper than it appears at face value; while, at the same time, never losing the entertainment value. It's never clearly esoteric and each scene seems to carry a universal message which further perpetuates an important notion of the film's context for the wider audience to relate to. Like the bathhouse stink spirit scene and its underlying statement on environmentalism and the inherent consequences of pollution, for example.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest