The Student Room Group

*:・゚✧ Should girls ask guys out?! *:・゚✧

I'm sure many of you have probably fancied someone at some point in your lives (if not, your time will come! :dumbells:) and wondered how to go about asking for a date or wondering whether you'll ever be asked to one.

With dating becoming such an 'in' thing with the creation of Tinder and other cheeky dating apps, more people are stepping out of their comfort zone and are being more open when displaying their interest in others.

According to match.com (that you can only sign up to if you're 18 or over sorry!) statistics, although cultural norms suggest that men should always do the asking, 91% of men who use the site are comfortable with women asking them out.

So lads, do you agree? Girls, would you form part of the askers? :mmm:

Girls? Would you rather have the guy ask you out or would you take the lead and ask first? If you've never asked a guy out before, would you consider it?

Guys? Would you rather ask a girl out or have one ask you? Why?

What do you all think?
Tell me, tell me, tell me! :teehee:

Scroll to see replies

Yes absolutely. If you like a guy just ask him out, I hate it when girls think it's law for the bloke to initiate. It's not the 50s after all.
A lot of traditions of the past have been done away with. Don't see how this one has stuck around tbh.
Original post by thecatwithnohat

According to match.com (that you can only sign up to if you're 18 or over sorry!) statistics, although cultural norms suggest that men should always do the asking, 91% of men who use the site are comfortable with women asking them out.

Lol@ these stats.

It's not a question of if you're comfortable with a woman asking you out - women don't ask men out because they don't have to.

It's like going "f--- UCAS, I wish Cambridge would just knock on my door tomorrow and offer me a place".
Original post by Harold Godwinson
Yes absolutely. If you like a guy just ask him out, I hate it when girls think it's law for the bloke to initiate. It's not the 50s after all.

Certainly! It's always better to get right in there before their attention goes elsewhere.

Original post by WoodyMKC
A lot of traditions of the past have been done away with. Don't see how this one has stuck around tbh.

I 100% agree with you, it seems to be one of those unspoken 'rules' lets say that people are happy to just abide with.
Original post by WoodyMKC

Because their scared of rejection and know that us blokes care a lot more about sexy time :colone: then girls do
Original post by Trinculo
Lol@ these stats.

It's not a question of if you're comfortable with a woman asking you out - women don't ask men out because they don't have to.

It's like going "f--- UCAS, I wish Cambridge would just knock on my door tomorrow and offer me a place".

I know right?! They are coming from a dating site after all, where the guys want to have girls ask them out instead of them having to find all the girls they're interested in and do it themselves.

They don't have to, but they could if they wanted to couldn't they?

That is a pretty good comparison though, tbh :rofl: it's too true.
I'd like a guy to ask me out because i'd be nervous to ask them myself .
lol the pressure the guy has to ask the girl lol
Original post by Harold Godwinson
Because their scared of rejection and know that us blokes care a lot more about sexy time :colone: then girls do

You'd be surprised, plenty of girls have as much of a sexual drive as guys, they're just more discreet (and are assumed to to care more about the emotion in a relationship) about it! :innocent:
Original post by saraxh

Shyness is definitely someone that many girls - and guys, let's not forget! - experience which makes dating a little bit more difficult. If both are shy, who'll make the first move then I wonder?? :curious:
Tbh dating these days is pretty stupid (she says at the grand age of 17 but anyway)
no-one seems to actually tell anyone if they like each other. Like how are they meant to know they aren't telepathic.
Tbh i think it is cute of the guy asks the girl but i dont see why the girl couldnt ask the guy.
Anyway dont have this problem so meh just thought i would contribute that nugget.
You'd be surprised, plenty of girls have as much of a sexual drive as guys, they're just more discreet (and are assumed to to care more about the emotion in a relationship) about it! :innocent:

I didn't consider that, I must tap into their secret lust then and then tap something else! :colondollar:
I believe in equality, a society where only guys ask girls out is not equal or fair to either gender. This is 2016. If you like someone ask them out, stop sitting around expecting guys to do all the chasing.
I know right?! They are coming from a dating site after all, where the guys want to have girls ask them out instead of them having to find all the girls they're interested in and do it themselves.

They don't have to, but they could if they wanted to couldn't they?

That is a pretty good comparison though, tbh :rofl: it's too true.

I don't get the idea that girls don't do the asking because of any BS societal norms or any nonsense like that - they just don't do it because there's no point.

I mean, at school / college age, I remember a couple of girls doing the asking when they were super into a particular person, but I don't think anyone thought it was odd. At university it all goes out the window. You don't ask anyone out - you just wait until they're drunk and see if they want to make out - male or female.
Original post by saraxh

Do you want to go out? :colondollar:
Reply 16
Girls are more selective than guys. The vast majority do not need to ask anyone out. Most people would much prefer to be asked out - I mean it's clearly the better deal; they have the power to reject or not, and they have to do less work - but guys tend to do it by necessity as otherwise they simply won't succeed.
Shyness is definitely someone that many girls - and guys, let's not forget! - experience which makes dating a little bit more difficult. If both are shy, who'll make the first move then I wonder?? :curious:

The guy, after he psyches himself up and gets badgered by his mates to do it.
Original post by junayd1998
lol the pressure the guy has to ask the girl lol

I know right? It sucks, big time.
Original post by Anonymous
Tbh dating these days is pretty stupid (she says at the grand age of 17 but anyway)
no-one seems to actually tell anyone if they like each other. Like how are they meant to know they aren't telepathic.
Tbh i think it is cute of the guy asks the girl but i dont see why the girl couldnt ask the guy.
Anyway dont have this problem so meh just thought i would contribute that nugget.

Everything you said is very true, especially the part about people just expecting others to know that they're into them. Even worse that they expect it when they're not giving signs of interest! Playing hard to get doesn't always play in one's favour! :mmm:

I don't think many guys - if any - would mind at all if the girl asked them out. It'd be quite refreshing I'm assuming.

All opinions are welcomed opinions! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending