The Student Room Group

PC vs Mac (I'm So Sorry...)

I've noticed that my beloved Samsung laptop with Windows 10 is starting to get slow. So, rather than wait until it's unusable, I want upgrade before I start Year One of Computer Science.

Whilst doing the obligatory google searches for "best windows laptop 2016", "best laptop computer science", "best laptop university / degree" etc. I came across some really interesting topics of conversation regarding Windows Vs OSX, especially regarding Computer Science.

When doing generic searches for laptops for degree courses, the general opinion was: get mac for creative / media / art degrees, but windows for anything engineering / mathematical / scientific / business / technology.

I thought, "Great!" that's my windows choice sorted then! (This opinion kinda confirmed what I'd already been thinking).
But then I found multiple topics talking about Computer Science and how reliant it is on UNIX / Linux. There seem to be many students lauding Apple Macs because they're UNIX based and don't require the fiddling that Linux machines do. Macs can also dual boot to Windows (for the best of both worlds), and have multiple other advantages (apparently).

Aside from the fact that they're often double the price of a conventional windows PC, getting an Apple Mac for Computer Science is starting to make sense!

Any Computer Science students care to weigh in?

TL;DR
Apparently MacOS / OSX is a UNIX operating system which makes it great for development / computer science stuff. Also it can dual boot Windows easily (for best of both worlds).
Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

If you want a fashion accessory and an empty wallet, get a mac, if you want to be able to code on c, c++, c# etc. and have a laptop which is actually good, get a laptop. Also with left over money compared to a mac you could buy 800 terry's chocolate oranges
Reply 2
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
If you want a fashion accessory and an empty wallet, get a mac, if you want to be able to code on c, c++, c# etc. and have a laptop which is actually good, get a laptop. Also with left over money compared to a mac you could buy 800 terry's chocolate oranges

That is not really true.

Macbooks are powerful and useful tools for developers - just look at many major hackathon or developer events and you'll see probably 8/10 people using a Mac, with the remainder Windows/Linux.

Firstly the machines themselves are not overpriced - you get what you pay for. Most people just base how much a machine should cost based on CPU/RAM/GPU, but when you dig into quality of the machine, battery life, screen quality, SSD speeds, keyboard and trackpad usability, QC issues (which a lot of Windows laptops, even the best such as XPS 13/15 have), you start to realise it isn't as overpriced as you thought it was. Besides, how do you add value to the fact you can walk into any Apple store if you have issues - Have an ASUS for example and something is wrong with your laptop and you may be out without a laptop for a few weeks.

I am not an Apple fanboy and personally, I do prefer to use Windows to MacOS, but don't underestimate it as a developer tool, not just arts and design. As you said, the UNIX structure with it's terminal makes it very promising for various programming languages/developer tools itself. MacBooks are the choice for a lot of data scientists as well over Windows (most people might have assumed otherwise). Windows 10 is actually introducing a BASH shell which I got really excited for recently, as I thought they might have plugged the gap, but looking into it further it is a much more limited version which can't do many expected features that you can do on OS X / Linux.

I use a Microsoft Developer stack (Visual Studio/SQL Server etc) and I just use Parallels to VM the Windows to run these very conveniently. I would be the ideal candidate for a Windows machine due to being stuck to the Microsoft stack, but I just am not happy with where Windows laptops are as of yet.

For a University purchase, I would go with a macbook via education store purely to get that 10-15% discount and 3 years warranty. You want something that lasts and don't want issues - and if you do end up getting an issue you need it resolved asap. It does take a little bit of getting used to but you just have to read around to see all the pro's of investing in one.

Right now, if you can wait, I'd wait till October as there are likely to be a very significant refresh on the Macbook Pro range.

If you must go with Windows, which is definitely fine and not a problem (as you can just use it with Linux for UNIX, although you won't get the same quality of a device) I recommend:

If you need a lot of processing power (Quad core): XPS 15, Acer Aspire V Nitro, Inspiron 15 series

Otherwise: XPS 13, Lenovo T460s, X1 Carbon, Asus Zenbook 3 (out in August), HP Spectre 13 (care with battery life)
(edited 7 years ago)
Macbook pro 13" seems to be a favourite among programmers.

However, you could get a Dell xps instead for cheaper or around the same price, for much better specs, and then just put Linux on a separate partition or virtual machine:smile:

This-^ I have been a software developer for 16 years in a whole variety of industries form defence to finance and telecoms. The only time I saw a Mac was for the UX designers to draw pretty pictures with. That said I have never worked in the pretty-boy world of web development so perhaps that is where Macs are more accepted? There is more to computer science than web development.
Save your money and buy something simple and hard wearing.
Reply 5
You are stupid if you don't get the Surface pro 4. I'm a Software engineering student. I can make 10 paragraphs to why you should get it over any other laptop for studying but I do not have the time and I get really pissed of at people buying Apple, sorry. I get really serious about this stuff.
Reply 6
I've been writing software professionally for too many years. My current development system is a very standard Windows 8 laptop with 15" screen.

What makes it so good is that I use VMware Workstation Player to host any OS that I'm targeting, whether it be e.g. Windows 2012R2 server, Redhat Linux, Ubuntu, ... and so I can use almost any development environment I need to.

T3
I recommend (in a non-preachy way!) that you install Linux. Your laptop is probably starting to get slow because you updated it to Windows 10, and Windows doesn't play nice with older hardware. Linux has the benefits of a) being faster on older hardware, b) free!, c) very, very useful for CS. You'll probably end up doing a lot of work in UNIX anyway, and a lot of CS-centered programs run better on Linux than on Windows. If you really need to get a new laptop, get one that's Linux friendly like one of the Dell Linux lines or a Lenovo.
PC, DEFINITELY. MAC IS OVERPRICED, PC IS RELATIVELY CHEAPER, PC COMPARED TO MAC HAS GREATER VARIETY, YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE PC IN ALMOST ANY WAY & IT IS WAY EASIER etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mashbbk
That is not really true.

Macbooks are powerful and useful tools for developers - just look at many major hackathon or developer events and you'll see probably 8/10 people using a Mac, with the remainder Windows/Linux.

Firstly the machines themselves are not overpriced - you get what you pay for. Most people just base how much a machine should cost based on CPU/RAM/GPU, but when you dig into quality of the machine, battery life, screen quality, SSD speeds, keyboard and trackpad usability, QC issues (which a lot of Windows laptops, even the best such as XPS 13/15 have), you start to realise it isn't as overpriced as you thought it was. Besides, how do you add value to the fact you can walk into any Apple store if you have issues - Have an ASUS for example and something is wrong with your laptop and you may be out without a laptop for a few weeks.

I am not an Apple fanboy and personally, I do prefer to use Windows to MacOS, but don't underestimate it as a developer tool, not just arts and design. As you said, the UNIX structure with it's terminal makes it very promising for various programming languages/developer tools itself. MacBooks are the choice for a lot of data scientists as well over Windows (most people might have assumed otherwise). Windows 10 is actually introducing a BASH shell which I got really excited for recently, as I thought they might have plugged the gap, but looking into it further it is a much more limited version which can't do many expected features that you can do on OS X / Linux.

I use a Microsoft Developer stack (Visual Studio/SQL Server etc) and I just use Parallels to VM the Windows to run these very conveniently. I would be the ideal candidate for a Windows machine due to being stuck to the Microsoft stack, but I just am not happy with where Windows laptops are as of yet.

For a University purchase, I would go with a macbook via education store purely to get that 10-15% discount and 3 years warranty. You want something that lasts and don't want issues - and if you do end up getting an issue you need it resolved asap. It does take a little bit of getting used to but you just have to read around to see all the pro's of investing in one.

Right now, if you can wait, I'd wait till October as there are likely to be a very significant refresh on the Macbook Pro range.

If you must go with Windows, which is definitely fine and not a problem (as you can just use it with Linux for UNIX, although you won't get the same quality of a device) I recommend:

If you need a lot of processing power (Quad core): XPS 15, Acer Aspire V Nitro, Inspiron 15 series

Otherwise: XPS 13, Lenovo T460s, X1 Carbon, Asus Zenbook 3 (out in August), HP Spectre 13 (care with battery life)
Razer Blade Series? Pricey but worth it. The Razer Blade Pro may lack in performance and obviously hdd speed, but it is better in almost every other aspect.
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Razer Blade Series? Pricey but worth it. The Razer Blade Pro may lack in performance and obviously hdd speed, but it is better in almost every other aspect.

The Razer blade series is not easy to get your hands on in the UK - and the customer service/repair is very difficult.
Build quality wise it is second to none and it is a very capable machine, although reading some owner lounges on notebookreview.com does identify several issues which, personally would be a deal breaker for me just because of how highly priced these devices are.
Reply 11
Like I said before, you are stupid if you dont get the Surface pro 4 ESPECIALLY for studying, I got one, and I would have never done so well in my exams without it. Research surface pro 4 if you have not already. **** Apple.
My older sister has the mac and I have the HP.
The HP isn't apple but it has a nice design, simple, and easy to use.

This this this. I use an avarage windows Hp, im having no trouble

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reda2
Like I said before, you are stupid if you dont get the Surface pro 4 ESPECIALLY for studying, I got one, and I would have never done so well in my exams without it. Research surface pro 4 if you have not already. **** Apple.

I wouldn't say people would be stupid to not get it, it is a nice machine definitely, but far from perfect.

- Battery life is a lot lower than other study options.
- No USB Type-C (not an issue now, but for the investment, might want something which has it?)
- Very expensive and it is annoying that they ask for an extra £110 or so for the keyboard cover
- Not all students will be fond of the screen size, a lot of people might want at least 13'.
- There are still various Windows 10/intel chip issues that plague a lot of Windows machine, from display driver crashes to problems waking up from sleep/hibernation or even putting machine to sleep. There are a lot of others too, although some may be seen as minor.
- Potential scaling issues if you plan to use the native 3K screen resolution. Windows 10 has got a lot better at it, but it has a long way to go. I think maybe the Redstone updates will make dramatic improvements to the experience.

I am looking forward to see the Surface Pro 5 and Surface Book 2 personally, although it might be a long wait :frown:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by mashbbk
I wouldn't say people would be stupid to not get it, it is a nice machine definitely, but far from perfect.

- Battery life is a lot lower than other study options.
- No USB Type-C (not an issue now, but for the investment, might want something which has it?)
- Very expensive and it is annoying that they ask for an extra £110 or so for the keyboard cover
- Not all students will be fond of the screen size, a lot of people might want at least 13'.
- There are still various Windows 10/intel chip issues that plague a lot of Windows machine, from display driver crashes to problems waking up from sleep/hibernation or even putting machine to sleep. There are a lot of others too, although some may be seen as minor.
- Potential scaling issues if you plan to use the native 3K screen resolution. Windows 10 has got a lot better at it, but it has a long way to go. I think maybe the Redstone updates will make dramatic improvements to the experience.

I am looking forward to see the Surface Pro 5 and Surface Book 2 personally, although it might be a long wait :frown:.

I agree with you. but those are all very minor and some totally personal, I'm speaking generally, and comparing to other student laptops out there, if there are any. They have nothing on the surface in terms of studying.
I recommend mac too. You can read a lot of benefits off the internet and even in this thread, but one of the main reasons why I recommend mac is the battery life and its memory management, it lasts pretty long than almost every windows laptops I know. Of course you can install a linux based system on a normal laptop and that will last long too. People say mac is over priced and have been using that arguments since it came, but it always gets refreshed so the laptop is actually worth it now, especially with student discount. People use the arguement that they've been doing software developing for several years and had no problem using windows/doesnt recommend macbooks but thats because they have a relaxed job in a fixed area and probs never need to use mac. But as an upcoming developer, you will always bee trying new things, you will be doing hackatons, working on tiny projects here and there, you might even decided to learn ios development so macs are great as they have all the tools, last long, fast and reliable. Unless if you're that one guy that wants to do c# development. but im pretty sure you can use visual studio on os x.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone saying Mac is wrong, People say Mac's are better for sound/photo editing are wrong they are not it is just a myth that has been going on for a long time.
Here is some negatives to a mac
-Very overpriced
-less flexibility for apps and programs
-Components are expensive and often are hard/impossible to replace or upgrade
- Uses non standard connectors.
- less control of system
-Many more

Pros
+People might think you are cool for having a mac but anyone with any sense will think you are a bit stupid
Original post by AperfectBalance
Anyone saying Mac is wrong, People say Mac's are better for sound/photo editing are wrong they are not it is just a myth that has been going on for a long time.
Here is some negatives to a mac
-Very overpriced
-less flexibility for apps and programs
-Components are expensive and often are hard/impossible to replace or upgrade
- Uses non standard connectors.
- less control of system
-Many more

Pros
+People might think you are cool for having a mac but anyone with any sense will think you are a bit stupid

Wow this is one of, if not the dumbest comment on this thread. Are you buying the mac because of what people think?? Didnt you read the title OP needs a laptop for development.

phucking noob
Original post by bigboateng_
Wow this is one of, if not the dumbest comment on this thread. Are you buying the mac because of what people think?? Didnt you read the title OP needs a laptop for development.

phucking noob

Uhh yes many people do buy more expensive things such as expensive clothes and some people buy macs as they think they are better and are cooler, it is true.
And if OP is looking for development 100% windows with a Linux partition would be far better than using mac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending