The Student Room Group

Those who reapplied to a uni - did you reapply to unis that accepted you previously?

I was rejected from Oxford last year, but as I've gotten fairly decent results, I've been considering reapplying. However, it would mean turning down offers from fairly highly-ranked unis. From what I've read, a fair amount (although I know reapplicants have no specific advantage) of people have reapplied successfully to various different unis. I was just wondering whether or not any one who has reapplied to any uni (successfully or not) also did so for unis that had previously given them an offer, and whether or not these reapplications were also successful? I would probably reapply to some of the same unis I had applied to last year, so I was just wondering about people's experiences.
Reply 1
Original post by Whippersniffer
I was rejected from Oxford last year, but as I've gotten fairly decent results, I've been considering reapplying. However, it would mean turning down offers from fairly highly-ranked unis. From what I've read, a fair amount (although I know reapplicants have no specific advantage) of people have reapplied successfully to various different unis. I was just wondering whether or not any one who has reapplied to any uni (successfully or not) also did so for unis that had previously given them an offer, and whether or not these reapplications were also successful? I would probably reapply to some of the same unis I had applied to last year, so I was just wondering about people's experiences.

I reapplied to 3 of my original choices and got offers from all 3. It may be a different story with oxford though just because of the prestige, that said I have read of several successful reapplication to oxbridge unis although there would be no guarantee of course. I would say reapplying shouldn't be a problem, just be sure to spend some of your gap year (if that's what you're doing) doing something you could add to your personal statement to show that you haven't just worked or done very little academically. Perhaps do a massive open online course (MOOC) if you have time, something like that.

Hope that's helpful.
Reply 2
Unis don't turn down good candidates just because an offer they'd made the previous year was declined. Hundreds of people on here have gone through a reapplication to Oxford or Cambridge and the same unis they applied to the year before, and generally they get offers. You can't always be sure - it does depend on the strength of the cohort - but this consideration shouldn't stop you if that's what you want to do.

However, you need to consider how you would feel if you go through the application process for Oxford again but still don't succeed. Are you still prepared to take the risk and invest the effort required?
Can't you apply for a deferred entry

I got offers from Leeds, Birmingham and Portsmouth two years running.

yeah I did i got an unconditional offer as I already had my results I actually had a chat with the course leader and got told i ha a place but to go through UCAS agin as it was easier that way.
Original post by L33t
I reapplied to 3 of my original choices and got offers from all 3. It may be a different story with oxford though just because of the prestige, that said I have read of several successful reapplication to oxbridge unis although there would be no guarantee of course. I would say reapplying shouldn't be a problem, just be sure to spend some of your gap year (if that's what you're doing) doing something you could add to your personal statement to show that you haven't just worked or done very little academically. Perhaps do a massive open online course (MOOC) if you have time, something like that.

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks for the reply - and yeah, I definitely plan on using my gap year to do some useful things. Just out of curiosity - what were the 3 original choices?

Original post by jelly1000
I got offers from Leeds, Birmingham and Portsmouth two years running.

Nice - thanks for the response/insight.
Original post by jonathanemptage
yeah I did i got an unconditional offer as I already had my results I actually had a chat with the course leader and got told i ha a place but to go through UCAS agin as it was easier that way.

Thanks for the response. Interesting - would you mind telling me the uni/course and why you were reapplying?
Reply 8
Thanks for the reply - and yeah, I definitely plan on using my gap year to do some useful things. Just out of curiosity - what were the 3 original choices?

Nice - thanks for the response/insight.

Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Minerva
Unis don't turn down good candidates just because an offer they'd made the previous year was declined. Hundreds of people on here have gone through a reapplication to Oxford or Cambridge and the same unis they applied to the year before, and generally they get offers. You can't always be sure - it does depend on the strength of the cohort - but this consideration shouldn't stop you if that's what you want to do.

However, you need to consider how you would feel if you go through the application process for Oxford again but still don't succeed. Are you still prepared to take the risk and invest the effort required?

I guess since I would have to pull out at such a late stage I'd be a little scared of 'bad blood' - but it's good to hear that many people have had success with it.

And it's definitely a dilemma to have. I didn't feel like I represented myself very well at all during the interview and have really wanted a 'second shot'. I think there could be a few additional benefits to a gap year as well, and am hoping that since I'm a strong-ish applicant I wouldn't face five rejections.
Original post by L33t

Thanks, and nice one :smile:
Original post by L33t

Thanks, and nice one :smile:
Thanks for the response. Interesting - would you mind telling me the uni/course and why you were reapplying?

sure the uni Was Southampton Solent and I applied for an Electronic Engineering HND which I later topped up to a Bsc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending