The Student Room Group

***UKCAT 2017 poll***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saward1988
I'm scared now. I already did mine and thought compared to most years it would be safe for the UKCAT-intensive GEPs unis (I'm doing grad entry).

I'm hoping that because it was the DA that inflated the 2013 score, and there is none this year with no change to the other sections, it will just fall into similar place as last year by the end.

Congrats everyone so far on awesome scores though!

Didn't mean to worry you. What did you get in your UKCAT?

I'm sure if you were confident with your score then there is no reason not to be now. I have been the same though so I understand the worry. It's the same that happens each year; people speculate the significance of early scoring as we are all frantic to know where we stand in the larger scheme of things.
Reply 81
Original post by saward1988
I'm scared now. I already did mine and thought compared to most years it would be safe for the UKCAT-intensive GEPs unis (I'm doing grad entry).

I'm hoping that because it was the DA that inflated the 2013 score, and there is none this year with no change to the other sections, it will just fall into similar place as last year by the end.

Congrats everyone so far on awesome scores though!

Hey there :smile:,

I too am a grad applicant and I have the same concerns as you and that is why I created this poll to see what happens but don't worry hopefully the scores all even out :smile:
How hard are the UKCAT official mocks compared to the real thing because they seem a bit difficult
Original post by hashman
How hard are the UKCAT official mocks compared to the real thing because they seem a bit difficult

It really depends on what questions you get drawn in the real thing as to what your comparisons will be of them. I personally found them standard (apart from QR which was slightly easier in the real thing).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
It really depends on what questions you get drawn in the real thing as to what your comparisons will be of them. I personally found them standard (apart from QR which was slightly easier in the real thing).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, can you point me in the right direction. Did UKAT today and got average 653. Are there any unis that we can apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right thanks ever so much hopefully I get decent questions on day
I tweeted @UKCAT, asking if their research showed that scores vary over the testing period. They said:

"Hi - average scores tend to get higher and then lower over the testing period."

So that's interesting! I've been watching this poll like a hawk, the main effect I've seen is that 726-750 alone accounted for 36% of the scores a week ago, and now things are starting to spread out. The actual "mean", as far as I can calculate it, hasn't changed in that time.
Original post by Chikkinn
I tweeted @UKCAT, asking if their research showed that scores vary over the testing period. They said:

"Hi - average scores tend to get higher and then lower over the testing period."

So that's interesting! I've been watching this poll like a hawk, the main effect I've seen is that 726-750 alone accounted for 36% of the scores a week ago, and now things are starting to spread out. The actual "mean", as far as I can calculate it, hasn't changed in that time.

Do you reckon the national average will go up this year? And if so, how much by?
Original post by manlike99
Do you reckon the national average will go up this year? And if so, how much by?

I believe it will, but not by as much as it did in 2013. This is a complete guess based on my belief that having fewer sections to prepare for will have a greater effect than the apparent increase in difficulty of VR, and on my brief scans of UKCAT threads from previous years suggesting that people tended to post lower scores at this time of the year. But really, the numbers just aren't there to support anything yet and I couldn't possibly say what the change in mean will be. The only other thing I'd say is that, while TSR scored ~50 points above the overall average in 2012, 2014 and 2015, they scored about 75 points higher in 2013. It seems that, when there is an "easier" year, TSR takes greater advantage of it than the general population.
Reply 89

What do you reckon the fall in average is due to? Is it due to changes to the difficulty of the questions?

Mines at the end of this month, I hope that is not too late :/
Original post by saran23
What do you reckon the fall in average is due to? Is it due to changes to the difficulty of the questions?

Mines at the end of this month, I hope that is not too late :/

It's definitely nothing like that, don't worry! I expect it'll be a result of the fact that many of the reasons for taking a test later predict a lower score, such as requiring relatively more time to complete revision or being less motivated and starting revision later. None of those reasons have to apply to any single person taking the test at any point.
I did my UKCAT today and got:

Verbal Reasoning: 780
Abstract Reasoning: 660
Quantitative Reasoning: 850
Situational judgement band 2

Can someone just give me an idea if this is good or not I can't work out where this is compared to average.
Also is it worth applying to 50% UKCAT unis with these results?
Original post by GrammarGirl22
I did my UKCAT today and got:

Verbal Reasoning: 780
Abstract Reasoning: 660
Quantitative Reasoning: 850
Situational judgement band 2

Can someone just give me an idea if this is good or not I can't work out where this is compared to average.
Also is it worth applying to 50% UKCAT unis with these results?

Well done on this amazing UKCAT score, this gives you a total of 2310 and an average of 770, considering the average each year is usually around 630 (this may change this year though so be cautious) you have done incredibly well. I really would encourage you to consider applying to medical schools which are UKCAT heavy as your score will be very desirable to them!
Try to avoid medical schools which dont use the UKCAT very much unless you meet their requirements also and want to apply there of course, but you can apply to pretty much any UKCAT university providing the average doesnt hike up 100 points!
Just thought I'd bump this since the 2016 entry thread is currently higher up than this one. :P
Reply 94
Just thought I'd bump this since the 2016 entry thread is currently higher up than this one. :P

Haha fair play :smile:

I think the title of this thread was slightly misleading and it really should have said "...2017 entry" but never mind
Well done on this amazing UKCAT score, this gives you a total of 2310 and an average of 770, considering the average each year is usually around 630 (this may change this year though so be cautious) you have done incredibly well. I really would encourage you to consider applying to medical schools which are UKCAT heavy as your score will be very desirable to them!
Try to avoid medical schools which dont use the UKCAT very much unless you meet their requirements also and want to apply there of course, but you can apply to pretty much any UKCAT university providing the average doesnt hike up 100 points!

Hi, do you think the average could hike up by 100 points? I'm worried that 800 might be the new 700 and that my 793 may be equivalent to previous years' 693 hence not good enough for Newcastle/Southampton. Thanks.
Reply 96
Original post by manlike99
Hi, do you think the average could hike up by 100 points? I'm worried that 800 might be the new 700 and that my 793 may be equivalent to previous years' 693 hence not good enough for Newcastle/Southampton. Thanks.

With a score of 793 you should not be worried at all and no 800 won't be the new 700. The average won't hike up that far. In 2013(2014 entry), I believe the cut off for Newcastle was about 780 in the midst of the high averages, so if there was to be a repeat of this phenomenon this year then it is very unlikely that you will be affected by it.

Good Luck!
Original post by saran23
With a score of 793 you should not be worried at all and no 800 won't be the new 700. The average won't hike up that far. In 2013(2014 entry), I believe the cut off for Newcastle was about 780 in the midst of the high averages, so if there was to be a repeat of this phenomenon this year then it is very unlikely that you will be affected by it.

Good Luck!

thank you :smile:
Reply 98
Guys I got a score of 620, ( verbal reasoning really let me down)
What universities would take me with such a score????
Original post by Larz16
Guys I got a score of 620, ( verbal reasoning really let me down)
What universities would take me with such a score????

I got 633 and am definitely applying for Bristol and Leeds (BMAT) probably Cardiff as well but not sure of a 4th..! I hate how some unis put such a big emphasis on a ridiculous test like this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending