The Student Room Group

Is 'darling' offensive?

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I don't consider it offensive in general. That said, during debates, pet names in general should be kept to a minimum as they sound patronising (when discussing a difference of opinion) and distract from the debate itself.
Reply 2
I suppose it depends on who you are talking to. Some people might think you are being sarcastic, as in pretending to be affectionate but not at all really. Others might think it is a term of endearment and if they are a heterosexual male or homosexual female, then they may not like this. But some people will be fine with it, just it is hard to tell who they are, its hard to know for sure.
Reply 3
Well it's not the most professional thing to say when addressing someone...
Original post by Reaver Daniels
I am a male and an relatively posh/camp and would probably consider myself Heteroflexible (I know, how very modern).

I often call people darling and every now and then, particularly during debates, I get told that I'm being offensive? Personally I don't care a great deal for political correctness, but it's supposedly considered offensive all the same.

So... do you consider 'darling' to be an offensive term? I really am rather curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, and I never thought it was. Perhaps it's more to do the with the interpretation of the tone when it's written? As in, they think you're saying it in a cheeky way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The term in itself isn't offensive, but when used in certain contexts it can be considered patronising. If you're using it in a debate scenario then it may seem like you are dismissing someone's opinion or treating them in a childish manner. If you're just calling people darling out of habit in more casual situations then I wouldn't think much of it.
Original post by Reaver Daniels
(...) So... do you consider 'darling' to be an offensive term? I really am rather curious. * *

Not really. It would be a bit strange, if I would hear it by a male person (I am a male one too). I would even be flattered, if a female person calls me darling whatever the reason is.*
Original post by Claros
The term in itself isn't offensive, but when used in certain contexts it can be considered patronising. If you're using it in a debate scenario then it may seem like you are dismissing someone's opinion or treating them in a childish manner. If you're just calling people darling out of habit in more casual situations then I wouldn't think much of it.

In this point of view I have not regarded it. That is really a good point! by the way what does 'darling' mean in a married couple?*
Milo, is that you?
Reply 9
Not very appropriate in a debate.

Personally I dislike being called 'darling', 'love' etc, wouldn't be offended though. I have a name, use it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's patronising but not sexist.

I only use darling/sweetie etc. when trying to be patronising, very rarely when I'm serious. And I use it towards both men/women, just depends who I'm disagreeing with.
I just use it when I'm trying to be annoying/sarcastic :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Context is everything.
Reply 13
It's mainly patronising
well, to put it neutrally, "darling" is something you call a little child, so it's obviously a belittling term. however, it's not sexist because it's not a gendered term. I guess it might be said to somebody in a benign way, and if they did, I don't think people should seek out offence when it's not intended - I get called "love", "dear", "darling", etc, and I'm a 22 year old guy with a beard with slightly greying hair.
Original post by Vicky628
I just use it when I'm trying to be annoying/sarcastic :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol:
:colonhash:
Reply 17
I don't think it is, but then again I'm from the west country, where everyone is referred to as "my luver".
:colonhash:
I love the word darling!
Although I sometimes use it in a patronising manner :innocent:

I don't why some people go ballistic when someone says darling to them -- relax! :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending