The Student Room Group

"Disagreeing with homosexuality is not homophobic"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You can't disagree with someone's sexual orientation, in my opinion.
Original post by Platopus
You can't disagree with homosexuality. You agree or disagree to opinions or arguments. Homosexuality as a state of being is neither, it just exists. Disagreeing with it would be like disagreeing with the existence of a chair.

It's not exactly analogous to a physical object like a chair. Being gay is a mode of sexual orientation or expression, so 'disagreeing' with it is like 'disagreeing' with heterosexuality or disagreeing with vegetarians or 'disagreeing' with people who prefer ice cream made without ice or cream. It's kind of irrelevant, but some people like to hold irrelevant views. Doesn't mean we should base social laws on them.
I see what you are saying. The act of disagreeing with homosexual acts because you see them as immoral and down right wrong, that is not a problem. It only becomes a problem when you use your views on homosexuality as a means of judging people.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I'm not comparing the two. I'm highlighting that you can disagree with homosexuality despite it not being a choice just like you can disagree with paedophila(as people don't choose to be attracted to children)

That is comparing. Pedophiles harm children which is why people are against it...
No, just dumb af
Original post by WBZ144
You might as well "disagree" with people for being Japanese or female or 60 years old, then say that you have no prejudice against them.

You make some good posts. People have the right to dislike the act of homosexuality, but it is homophobic in the same way that disliking people of different races is still racist, even if you have never carried out a hate crime personally.
Original post by loveleest
That is comparing. Pedophiles harm children which is why people are against it...

Not all pedophiles harm children. Pedophilia is a mental condition characterised by attraction to children. Many pedophiles do not act on this attraction.
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
You make some good posts. People have the right to dislike the act of homosexuality, but it is homophobic in the same way that disliking people of different races is still racist, even if you have never carried out a hate crime personally.

So is homophobia disliking the act of homosexuality or prejudice/discrimination towards gay people?
So is homophobia disliking the act of homosexuality or prejudice/discrimination towards gay people?

Both.

If you ask me whether hating members of other races is racism, or is racist physically attacking them I would say both are racist.
Both.

If you ask me whether hating members of other races is racism, or is racist physically attacking them I would say both are racist.

No one argues or thinks that racism only includes physical or verbal attacks though. In fact the common definition characterises it as a *belief*, so I think your comparison is poor.

Homophobia is defined as a dislike or prejudice against gay people. It's prejudice against persons. You can 'disagree' with homosexuality whilst not holding prejudice towards gay people or even disliking them. Of course many people who disagree with homosexuality also hate gay people, but it doesn't have to be the case.
Doesn't it depend on how the person defines homosexuality?

Some may see it as a choice, and choose to disagree with the idea. If they disagree but they actively don't hate homosexuals it's fine. If they actively hate homosexuals because they disagree with them it's wrong.

Some may see it as something one can't help and is born with. If so that person will find it wrong as they would figure that it is part of who one is and disagreeing to it is like disagreeing with someone's gender. Like gender, homosexuality isn't an argument but just is.
When you saying disagreeing with homosexuality, do you mean with its existence or with people practicing it. If with existence, then I would say they probably haven't thought it through, don't think there'd be such a high number of people identifying gay if it didn't exist - not worth the effort. I'd say they're stupid not homophobic.

If you mean practicing it then I'd say it depends. Just because someone disagrees with something, it doesn't mean they actively dislike or fear it. If they disagree with it and have a reason that isn't "they dislike the idea of it" or "because it's gross" or something along those lines then I'd say that's homophobic. I do however get some religous examples. In all cases however, if the way they treat gay people changes then of course it's homophobic.

Personally, even if I don't class someone who disagrees with homosexuality as homophobic, I think it makes it harder for gay people. It makes it hard to share a pretty huge part of your life, even if on the face of it your family seem okay with it, the thought would remain in your head that they still might not agree with it. I'm also yet to hear a good reason to disagree with homosexuality, but that's for another debate really :P

In summary disagreeing with homosexuality probably doesn't fit the definition of homophobic but personally I think to disagree with it is wrong when it doesn't even affect you.
(edited 7 years ago)
No one argues or thinks that racism only includes physical or verbal attacks though. In fact the common definition characterises it as a *belief*, so I think your comparison is poor.

Homophobia is defined as a dislike or prejudice against gay people. It's prejudice against persons. You can 'disagree' with homosexuality whilst not holding prejudice towards gay people or even disliking them. Of course many people who disagree with homosexuality also hate gay people, but it doesn't have to be the case.

This is like saying you dislike someone for being a member of a different race, notice how I've changed the wording to make being a member of a different race into a verb.

I'm not personally offended if someone wants to be homophobic it's their personal choice, but it's amusing seeing someone try to change the definition of something to give themselves some wriggle-room to allow them to be hateful bigots, without actually wanting to adopt the label of hateful bigot.
Original post by Sternumator
Exactly what I was going to say.

Some people whether through nature or nurture end up with a sexual attraction to children. Nobody would choose to have that but people have it nonetheless.

The principle that people are using that you can't be blamed for who you are 'like having green eyes' must extend to the case of paedophiles. Otherwise, your argument is essentially: people can't be blamed for who they are unless it is something I disagree with.

Since we all know paedophilic acts are wrong that can only mean that there is moral distinction between feelings and actions.

And if you accept that and understand that people have different beliefs about what is and isn't immoral, you will see that from the point of view of someone who believes homosexuality is immoral it does not imply that they are homophobic.

I don't think homosexual acts are immoral but we should be tolerant of people and respect their right to have whatever beliefs they do.

Paedophiles can't help their orientation no more than a straight person or a homosexual - but they musn't act on their desire because no child can give meaningful consent.

The difference between gays and paedophiles is that any adult person can give consent (barring mental disorders etc). And we should really let consenting adults do as they please in the bedroom. If you want it because you like it and somebody else is willing to do it to you, what is the problem you're seeing? We have certain holes and body parts that fit together (and certain internal parts are quite pleasurable for men, I'm told.). What is so immoral about having sex with the person you love? What are the reasons?

You know... Apart from quoting a book that tells you to hit your wife ^^
Original post by Zargabaath
How tf can you disagree with homosexuality? It's a thing that happens, that's like disagreeing with gravity :lol:

This is like saying you dislike someone for being a member of a different race, notice how I've changed the wording to make being a member of a different race into a verb.

I'm not personally offended if someone wants to be homophobic it's their personal choice, but it's amusing seeing someone try to change the definition of something to give themselves some wriggle-room to allow them to be hateful bigots, without actually wanting to adopt the label of hateful bigot.

I don't get what you're trying to say here. If you dislike someone purely based on their racial group, then that's racism.

Which definition have I tried to change? I'm not homophobic, nor do I dislike' homosexuality, I just don't think disapproving of homosexuality=automatic homophobe
What is there to 'disagree' with?

Yes, I suppose I 'disagree' with gay men about what kind of person we find attractive. They say men, I say women. But I also disagree on what kind of person I find attractive with other straight men.
I think 'disagreeing' with it, even without being malicious or insulting, is still homophobic. Take this video for example. Ben Shapiro is very eloquent and could almost convince you that gays shouldn't be able to get married, but he's still being homophobic. Homophobia is a position. Homophobia is not defined in the way it is expressed. Piers quite sharply deduces this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiNRVMhiejk#t=6m20s
I agree with the statement. Homophobic means hating gay people, to my understanding. disagreement don't equal hate. You may not agree with Christian belief does that equal hate. NO . People need to take a chill pill not everyone is going to like what you do in life. some people don't like interracial marriage does that mean they are racist. NO . that's just their opinion . people need to stop being so quick to throwing out words such as bigot, misogynist, racist, or a homophobe just cause they disagree with your opinion . stop being intolerant people, practice what u preach
Original post by 1010marina
Paedophiles can't help their orientation no more than a straight person or a homosexual - but they musn't act on their desire because no child can give meaningful consent.

The difference between gays and paedophiles is that any adult person can give consent (barring mental disorders etc). And we should really let consenting adults do as they please in the bedroom. If you want it because you like it and somebody else is willing to do it to you, what is the problem you're seeing? We have certain holes and body parts that fit together (and certain internal parts are quite pleasurable for men, I'm told.). What is so immoral about having sex with the person you love? What are the reasons?

You know... Apart from quoting a book that tells you to hit your wife ^^

These are personal beliefs though.

Like any belief you can ask your reasons for believing something forever. For example, why do you believe consent is necessary? In the end you can either go round in circles or just accept that you just believe it as a result of your own specific experiences and cultural or religious upbringing.

Some people believe that religious teaching is important just as you believe consent is important. Neither is objectively more valid. There have been cultures in history that didn't believe consent is important.

Of course everybody thinks their beliefs are 'right' but we would get a long better if people can appreciate that everybody has different experiences and thus are viewing the world from a different perspective.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending