The Student Room Group

New specifications have no UMS Score?

I was just looking at the AQA website on the UMS section and it stated that for the new specification exams there will be no UMS score. This is due to the fact that the exams are linear so apparently the UMS in each exam wont be needed. What will we be using to distinguish people from, lets say, a top end A grade and a low end A grade?
Original post by Al_YG
I was just looking at the AQA website on the UMS section and it stated that for the new specification exams there will be no UMS score. This is due to the fact that the exams are linear so apparently the UMS in each exam wont be needed. What will we be using to distinguish people from, lets say, a top end A grade and a low end A grade?

who are the "we" that you think need to distinguish between a low A and a high A?

Teachers will have access to students raw marks if they they need more information e.g. to predict expected outcomes.

Those universities that have made ums scores a part of their selection process will either make decisions without the ums information or may put greater reliance on admissions tests / aptitude assessments as they already do at some universities and for some subjects (notably medicine).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
who are the "we" that you think need to distinguish between a low A and a high A?

Teachers will have access to students raw marks if they they need more information e.g. to predict expected outcomes.

Those universities that have made ums scores a part of their selection process will either make decisions without the ums information or may put greater reliance on admissions tests / aptitude assessments as they already do at some universities and for some subjects (notably medicine).

By 'we' I meant us students. Thanks for the reply. I think its a bit unfair how someone with a very low A cannot be distinguished to someone with a high A and for top Unis it could prove pivotal I think, but then again its my opinion.
Original post by Al_YG
By 'we' I meant us students. Thanks for the reply. I think its a bit unfair how someone with a very low A cannot be distinguished to someone with a high A and for top Unis it could prove pivotal I think, but then again its my opinion.

You will certainly have access to your actual marks if you want them.
Top unis have or will use other mechanisms if they need to distinguish between candidates. Few use ums as a reliable indicator of success on their courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Al_YG

Did you read the post above you? It'll be judged on Raw marks so if it's 60/72 for an A however 66 for an A* someone may have gotten 60 and the other 65....They will have access to that.
Reply 5
Ok I very much appreciate your help, it doesn't seem 'hidden' as I thought it would, raw marks are just as good.
Original post by Al_YG

Only Cambridge use ums in decision making. They have made alternative arrangements.

Nowhere else will notice it disappearing.
Original post by PQ
Only Cambridge use ums in decision making. They have made alternative arrangements.

What is the alternative arrangement?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What is the alternative arrangement?

Extra requests for written work and entrance tests
Original post by PQ
Extra requests for written work and entrance tests

Ah I see. Could you link that for me please? :smile:

I hear from Christ's admissions thread that they're also considering requesting raw marks.
Ah I see. Could you link that for me please? :smile:

I hear from Christ's admissions thread that they're also considering requesting raw marks.

Just look on the Cambridge website for your course. They're very clear about what will be considered.
Original post by PQ
Just look on the Cambridge website for your course. They're very clear about what will be considered.

But they are not very clear about these 'new arrangements', which I suspect you have just made up.

Sure, I can see what they look for, but they have not made clear specifically how their admissions system - these 'new arrangements' - has changed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
That's annoying I need my UMS in AQA bio so my teacher would know what to predict me
Original post by AfcFob
That's annoying I need my UMS in AQA bio so my teacher would know what to predict me

Your teachers will have your raw marks to enable them predict your final grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by gdunne42
Your teachers will have your raw marks to enable them predict your final grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's just I would know easier, I needed 90 for her to predict me an A*
But they are not very clear about these 'new arrangements', which I suspect you have just made up.

Sure, I can see what they look for, but they have not made clear specifically how their admissions system - these 'new arrangements' - has changed.

There's no need to be rude just because you can't Google.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/03/14/cambridge-university-brings-back-entrance-exams-amid-struggle-to/

Is referring to http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/admission-assessments

These pre and during interview tests/assessments are new in 2017 for courses that didn't use them previously.

Quick Reply